Sign in to follow this  

Looking for economical but functional lift stand.....

Apologies if this is one of those subjects that have been done to death, I couldn't find much.

Anyway, I'm considering a lift stand for the few basic repairs/mods that I'm able to do myself. I am definately not a mechanic, and this would presumably get just occasional use, so I can't justify the best,most expensive thing around. Just looking for something that will safely suffice for my purposes.

If I had anyone to help me wrestle the bike around, I'd just get a basic stand, but I don't, so the lift capability is preferable.

I'm looking at a Tusk lift for around $70,delivered, and an Excel Moto-X for $85 delivered.

But for a few exceptions, the average reviews I've been able to find on these are decent enough, but I though it'd be wise to first poll the brain trust :ride:.

Any advice at all is much appreciated........

Apologies if this is one of those subjects that have been done to death, I couldn't find much.

Anyway, I'm considering a lift stand for the few basic repairs/mods that I'm able to do myself. I am definately not a mechanic, and this would presumably get just occasional use, so I can't justify the best,most expensive thing around. Just looking for something that will safely suffice for my purposes.

If I had anyone to help me wrestle the bike around, I'd just get a basic stand, but I don't, so the lift capability is preferable.

I'm looking at a Tusk lift for around $70,delivered, and an Excel Moto-X for $85 delivered.

But for a few exceptions, the average reviews I've been able to find on these are decent enough, but I though it'd be wise to first poll the brain trust :ride:.

Any advice at all is much appreciated........

I've always muscled bikes onto a basic lift, but at 52 the 650L is more than I can/want to deal with.

Just got the Tusk lift, VERY nice. Much nicer piece than I expected for the price. Simple, solid, lifts easily and stable enough.

Happy

Edited by MindBlower

Thanks for the speedy replies,guys. Hey Redlines, do you have personal experience with that Cyclegear stand, or just passing on the link ? As Mindblower said, if it's solid, that's a killer deal, though the price is almost suspiciously reasonable. No reviews on that site.

I don't mind paying a little more for the $65 for the Tusk, I just didn't want to spend $150 or $200 bucks !!

<a  href=bikestaned.th.png' alt='bikestaned.th.pnThis is the Armstrong model.........been working well for several years now, low maintenance.

Thanks for the speedy replies,guys. Hey Redlines, do you have personal experience with that Cyclegear stand, or just passing on the link ? As Mindblower said, if it's solid, that's a killer deal, though the price is almost suspiciously reasonable. No reviews on that site.

I don't mind paying a little more for the $65 for the Tusk, I just didn't want to spend $150 or $200 bucks !!

I have that stand. Works well for my YZ250, which is quite a bit lighter. It is harder to get it to go down than I would like, but it is easy to push under the bike and lift, and the height is adjustable.

I was going to ask about that too with the lifts.... Most of the cheap ones I've read about go up just fine.... it's just coming back down that can be an experience... like the way they are cammed, it's tough to get the bike smoothly back down without some shenanigans.

It's just hard to get it started. Once you get it going down, it is pretty smooth, and I have no problem handling the bike, but getting it started is sometimes a little tough (though, it is a good thing that it doesn't go down every time I bump it either...)

DSC03012.jpgThis is what I've had for several yrs now.Handles anything from a full dresser to a moped.What I like about it is its heavy.Stub your toe on it hvy.Drops as easy as it lifts plus it locks in place so theres no way it can come down on you when torquing on something.75 bucks at sam's club,Ive seen them at harbor freight not too long ago.

DSC03012.jpgThis is what I've had for several yrs now.Handles anything from a full dresser to a moped.What I like about it is its heavy.Stub your toe on it hvy.Drops as easy as it lifts plus it locks in place so theres no way it can come down on you when torquing on something.75 bucks at sam's club,Ive seen them at harbor freight not too long ago.

Those are really nice, but take up a lot of garage space that I don't have. And all I have is dirt bikes so the manual one works just fine.

The Tusk lift is effortless up or down and easily controlled. Coming down it's only dropping 6" at most, even if someone slipped a foot off its still just absorbed by the suspension.

You know I just noticed how dirty that thing is.I think its time for some new lighting in the garage..................geez loueeze.

I don't own one, I already have three other lift stands or I would buy one but I did look at it in the store. It has a real wide platform for your bike to sit on compared to my other lift stands. It seemed well built/pretty heavy duty but only time/use will really tell the real story about that. Only thing it doesn't have is a release lever like a few of my other lift stands have so you would have to get your foot under the lever to let it down or use your hand. For $35 I don't think you can go wrong. If you get 2 its free shipping, so $70 for two lift stands shipped. I have a trackside ramp which is the same brand as that lift and it seems to be holding pretty good but I have only had it for 3 months.

I've got the Tusk also. Fit's under the bike no problem (sideways, not like one of the trannyjack side type of things.) The only little gripe about it I had was taking the lift lever out, it was a tight fit, so I ground off the powder coating so there isn't a interference fit.

Cycle gear has lift stands onsale now for $35 and there low enough to fit under XR600/650L/R without haveing to lift the bike a little to get it under it which is nice.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=MTP_STEELLIFTSTAND

I have looked at those stands in the store. If memory serves me, a BRP would be at the upper weight limits of the stand. The $60 Trackside has a 500# capacity which is more appropriate. I use a RhinoStand (bought it at CycleGear). It has a larger platform and rates out at 500#. A bit more cash, but I like it... works great.

P2090528.jpg