The Hot Set-Up for 05-07 KX250s

I got a new 2006 KX250 back in March (Yes new, crazy find) and I am just curious as to what tips or changes you guys made to improve the bike at all. Sag, gearing, fork height in clamps, exhausts, anything like that?

My bike is all stock except for wide Lightspeed pegs, Active Ride revalve and spring, and bars. Oh, and the air gap set at .032'' (The biggest feeler gauge I had).

I ride 100% motocross by the way.

I've got an 05. I set the forks at 5mm from the top of the clamps, 100mm shock sag. I use a 52 T rear sprocket, James Dean needle, FMF Gnarly and powercore,110 octane leaded race gas, EG low-midrange porting.

I got a new 2006 KX250 back in March (Yes new, crazy find) and I am just curious as to what tips or changes you guys made to improve the bike at all. Sag, gearing, fork height in clamps, exhausts, anything like that?

My bike is all stock except for wide Lightspeed pegs, Active Ride revalve and spring, and bars. Oh, and the air gap set at .032'' (The biggest feeler gauge I had).

I ride 100% motocross by the way.

What are your impressions? Have you ridden it at all?

What are your impressions? Have you ridden it at all?

The bike is awesome, the engine is super fast, pulls on my old 04 YZ250 like nothing, it only just started pinging a tiny bit, so I adjusted the air gap and it's better now.

The handling and chassis to me seems like it is always all or nothing, I either rail a turn or I blow out the berm, but man when I get the turn right, it's freaking awesome.

I think the gearing is too low though, I tap dance on the shifter, and I think I need a little more speed way up top.

The biggest difference is the jumping though, my YZ was confidence inspiring, I would launch that thing over any jump it seemed like, the Kawi not so much, but I think that will come with time.

Overall, the bike get's my :ride:

The bike is awesome, the engine is super fast, pulls on my old 04 YZ250 like nothing, it only just started pinging a tiny bit, so I adjusted the air gap and it's better now.

The handling and chassis to me seems like it is always all or nothing, I either rail a turn or I blow out the berm, but man when I get the turn right, it's freaking awesome.

I think the gearing is too low though, I tap dance on the shifter, and I think I need a little more speed way up top.

The biggest difference is the jumping though, my YZ was confidence inspiring, I would launch that thing over any jump it seemed like, the Kawi not so much, but I think that will come with time.

Overall, the bike get's my :ride:

I love this bike, so much.

I would get the suspension valved for you first and foremost (you already know that) and go from there. Try different sprockets, bringing the rear wheel forward or back, tube height etc. Riding my 06 YZ back to back with my buds 05 the handling is night and day better than the YZ. I know the 06 the head angle was steepend by 1 degree so that may have an effect, my buddy who does suspension says its almost stinkbug like the 09 CRF. See if you can get that figured out. There's some info here in the forum I think or DaveJ would know.

As far as pinging you may need to run a mix of AV or race gas or get the head set up and squish set. The best pipe combo is the PC pipe and r304. The stock is good though.

Let me guess, does it feel like its trying to throw you forward on the jumps like it won't jump neutral?

Change the gearing to 14/51 or 13/48,49.

The forks are garbage. The cheapest and easiest fix for the forks is to install gold valves, youncan try opening up the stock pistons, but its easier to spend the $170. You aLso need to replace the ic springs at the very minimum. Theybare way too stiff and cause the fork to push. Respring if necessary.

The rear of the bike is too high. You can install a Link or lower by adding a spacer to the shock as I did. Theres a thread in this forum on it. You will need to raise the forks to get the fork angle back, mine are 3mm under the handlebars.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969656&highlight=

Its a completely different bike after the gold valve install, I barely get arm pump and I know Im a hell of alot faster, more stable than I was with the stock setup.

You should also do the free piston mod while youre in there, its all in the suspension thread here.

Change the gearing to 14/51 or 13/48,49.

The forks are garbage. The cheapest and easiest fix for the forks is to install gold valves, youncan try opening up the stock pistons, but its easier to spend the $170. You aLso need to replace the ic springs at the very minimum. Theybare way too stiff and cause the fork to push. Respring if necessary.

The rear of the bike is too high. You can install a Link or lower by adding a spacer to the shock as I did. Theres a thread in this forum on it. You will need to raise the forks to get the fork angle back, mine are 3mm under the handlebars.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969656&highlight=

Its a completely different bike after the gold valve install, I barely get arm pump and I know Im a hell of alot faster, more stable than I was with the stock setup.

You should also do the free piston mod while youre in there, its all in the suspension thread here.

I wouldn't say the forks are junk, I know a few tuners who think its real good stuff, good or better than the SSS when set up right. Totally agree the ICS springs are super stiff.

I wouldn't say the forks are junk, I know a few tuners who think its real good stuff, good or better than the SSS when set up right. Totally agree the ICS springs are super stiff.

It depends on what you Are comparing them to. Even after swapping the ic springs, youre wasting your time with the clickers. They need some serious overhauling. Thankfully, mine are good to go now. :ride:

I already got the suspension resprung and revalved for me by Active-Ride, so it's very good, better than my old YZ. I re set the sag today, and the bike handled much better.

I gotta say though, the stock chain on this thing is JUNK. Mine is already just about shot after ~15 hours on it.

It depends on what you Are comparing them to. Even after swapping the ic springs, youre wasting your time with the clickers. They need some serious overhauling. Thankfully, mine are good to go now. :ride:

Oh 100% agree, the clickers are worthless.

I already got the suspension resprung and revalved for me by Active-Ride, so it's very good, better than my old YZ. I re set the sag today, and the bike handled much better.

I gotta say though, the stock chain on this thing is JUNK. Mine is already just about shot after ~15 hours on it.

Sweet man now you need to post some video!

They always suck. The one that cam on my 98 was shot after only a few rides. I used to have to come back to the truck and adjust it a coupla times a day.

The stock steel sprockets are good, wrong sizes, but good for wear.

The stock steel sprockets are good, wrong sizes, but good for wear.

What gearing do you run?

The stock 13/51 seems decent except for the fact that I am constantly shifting, but I can get a great run out of the turns for jumps.

Put a 14t front sprocket in there, you need to slightly grind the case saver for it to fit, or order the optional 14t case saver from Kawasaki. Putting in taller gearing makes the bike hook up more. It's way too violent stock. You'll be casing jumps if there's any sign of blue groove, trust me.

When I bought my 05 I had a 2000 and a 94 shortly after, I always liked 13/48 so I changed to that so I could swap setups between all 3 bikes (except for the front sprocket on the 94). It's a completely different bike swapping out that front sprocket. you don't need to modify the chain just doing the front.

I agree that the bike was all top end with the stock setup, and hard to ride in anything other then deep loam.

Haha what's ironic is that I would like a little more pull wayyyyy up top so I could maybe hang onto a gear before the next turn.

So far I like the stock gearing though, except for basically having to tap dance on the shifter constantly, which makes it fun anyway. :ride:

• 2 months later...
What are you guys running for pipes on the 05-07s? I smashed my stocker over the weekend. Looking not to change the powerband too much. I had a DEP on my old YZ125 and it was awesome. Anyone got one on a KX250?

And does an O-ring chain fit on this bike without a front sprocket spacer?

I had an 0-ring on my 05, really kinda outdated though. Opt for a good x ring rk or regina chain with some steel sprockets and it'll last you an entire season.