Thought I'd share my experience with the YZ450F..

I'll start off with I just turned 19 and made the change from street bikes (r6 & r1) to dirt bikes.

I rode a little when I was probably 9-10 on my cousins xr80 and I was hooked! Although my parents denied me the right to have a dirt bike then :ride:

I really enjoyed riding streetbikes but it was getting to the point where near death experiences were happening more often than I'd like. I sold the bikes last season and just a week ago picked up an 06 YZ450F. Got the bike for $1900 bucks all it needed was a brake lever.. I changed the chain out, changed main & pilot jets, new air filter, and oil change. I rode the bike a few times down the street and for about an hour in my buddy's 10 acre field just enjoying the torque this thing had compared to friend's smaller bikes I've rode.

Today I went trail riding with my buddy's on their 125 2 strokes.. They left me in the dust bad.. I had never been to these trails and they knew them like the back of their hands, also much more experienced riders than I.. I had a hell of a time maneuvering this thing through creek beds and between trees.. Probably one of the last time's I'll go there?

Saturday I plan to take it to a semi-local MX track to use it for what it's made to do. These bikes are bad ass I just hope I didn't bite too much off at once so to speak..

125 offer tons of potential, much more than most 450 riders will ever know.

The fact is 125's keep you on your toes:moon: and you do have to work a little harder.

I can not beat all the 450's on my 125 but for the ones I can :ride: - eat my dust.

I'll start off with I just turned 19 and made the change from street bikes (r6 & r1) to dirt bikes.

I rode a little when I was probably 9-10 on my cousins xr80 and I was hooked! Although my parents denied me the right to have a dirt bike then?

I really enjoyed riding streetbikes but it was getting to the point where near death experiences were happening more often than I'd like. I sold the bikes last season and just a week ago picked up an 06 YZ450F. Got the bike for $1900 bucks all it needed was a brake lever.. I changed the chain out, changed main & pilot jets, new air filter, and oil change. I rode the bike a few times down the street and for about an hour in my buddy's 10 acre field just enjoying the torque this thing had compared to friend's smaller bikes I've rode.

Today I went trail riding with my buddy's on their 125 2 strokes.. They left me in the dust bad.. I had never been to these trails and they knew them like the back of their hands, also much more experienced riders than I.. I had a hell of a time maneuvering this thing through creek beds and between trees.. Probably one of the last time's I'll go there?

Saturday I plan to take it to a semi-local MX track to use it for what it's made to do. These bikes are bad ass I just hope I didn't bite too much off at once so to speak..

Transitioning from street to dirt is challenging. "Street only" riders have minimal (if any) fundemental core balance skills. The first and foremost tip I can offer you is to get off the seat ! When standing you place the bikes center of gravity very low within the chassis. This makes for a very nimble and precise behaving chassis when you use your body to manuever the chassis. This is especially true for very technical woods riding. A stock '06 YZ450F is not the best woods weapon (the '06's had a snappy powerfull engine), but neither is a 125 cc 2 stroke. With some practice trust me YOU will be killing those peaky 125's . A 2-3 tooth larger rear sprocket and a flywheel weight, and soften the suspension clickers and your YZ450 will be much better in the woods. Good luck, enjoy the new 450, they are an extremly fun and versatile bike ! :ride:

Edited by Polar_Bus

The 450 is definately a handful at times. In my opinion its a lot harder to go fast consistently on a 450 than it is a 125. You really have to learn to control the power/torque of the 450.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. Swap bikes with one of your buddies; he will still leave you in the dust because of his riding experience. They gain a lot of ground on you in technical stuff and corners I'm sure. A couple of seconds on this corner, a few seconds on this obstacle, and before you know it they're gone. Once you catch up to them in skill you will hang with them and probably pass them depending on the terrain since your bike has more power. A 450 is a big bike to start out on but if you stick with it and don't ride over your head you'll be on their rear fenders in no time. You might take some steps to de-tune the bike for now, maybe a choked up exhaust from a WR, semi-fat jetting, a G2 throttle cam system, etc. Also make sure your suspension is set up well for you. This is the most effective way to go faster.

In my opinion its a lot harder to go fast consistently on a 450 than it is a 125.

I disagree. If this were in fact true, we would still see 2 strokes being the prefered majority of choice at all the sunday races.

Its FAR easier to go fast and smooth on a 450F vs a 125. The 125's have absolutely NO mercy for charging into a soft loomy corner in the wrong gear(for ex. 3rd gear instead of ideally 2nd). the 4 strokes have the advantage to pull a higher gear over a much more wider rpm range. So for a novice, a 4 stroke is a dream come true. Traction is hands down superior, and more rider friendly with a 4 stroke especilly in slippery hard technicall terrain.

From what I have learned with the 4 stroke advantages in the woods over a 2 stroke is a situation such as charging a long rock garden. 2 strokes just have instantanious powerbands that easily cause the rear tire to wildly break loose at the WRONG time. Once I learned how to approach a technicaly rock garden trail in say 2nd gear, I learned to quickly grab 3rd, and hold the throttle , lean back a bit and just lug the engine and let the bike bounce, don't fight the bike . Amazing difference, the faster you skim the rocks, they better the bike handles the hits overall..... (unless the rocks are covered with wet algae slime) then that gets hairy !!! :ride: LOL

Modern 450's and 125's are so totally different that they can't seriously be compared. Certainly, one has a whole set of advantages over the other under suitable circumstances, but they both are difficult to completely master, each in its own way. The massive power and considerable top weight of the 450 vs. the 3 inch wide power zone of the 125 and its nearly complete lack of mid range torque...

If you wanted a bike that is so easy to ride that you could do really well on it almost immediately and become the scourge of your riding group in any slightly tight area, it would be a YZ250F.

I disagree. If this were in fact true, we would still see 2 strokes being the prefered majority of choice at all the sunday races.

Its FAR easier to go fast and smooth on a 450F vs a 125. The 125's have absolutely NO mercy for charging into a soft loomy corner in the wrong gear(for ex. 3rd gear instead of ideally 2nd). the 4 strokes have the advantage to pull a higher gear over a much more wider rpm range. So for a novice, a 4 stroke is a dream come true. Traction is hands down superior, and more rider friendly with a 4 stroke especilly in slippery hard technicall terrain.

I should of phrased that better but I was leaning towards the fact that the 450 has alot more power.

For example, I find that the 450 is a lot harder to hang on to for 20mins of mx whereas the 125 power doesn't wear me out nearly as much.

Seat time, seat time, seat time. Swap bikes with one of your buddies; he will still leave you in the dust because of his riding experience. They gain a lot of ground on you in technical stuff and corners I'm sure. A couple of seconds on this corner, a few seconds on this obstacle, and before you know it they're gone. Once you catch up to them in skill you will hang with them and probably pass them depending on the terrain since your bike has more power. A 450 is a big bike to start out on but if you stick with it and don't ride over your head you'll be on their rear fenders in no time. You might take some steps to de-tune the bike for now, maybe a choked up exhaust from a WR, semi-fat jetting, a G2 throttle cam system, etc. Also make sure your suspension is set up well for you. This is the most effective way to go faster.

This is so true, i have been riding for about 10 years been riding the 450 for 6 years. the more time you are on the bike you will love it more and more.

Update: Took it to Haspin Acres yesterday with a buddy and took about 15 laps on the bigger track, actually got some balls and hit a few of the jumps, cleared a double a few times etc.. It was definitely a huge learning experience but I had an excellent time beating the little kids :ride:

I hope to go ride again this week it's a blast!?