Sign in to follow this  

Project YZ125

Yeah I would like to have one of them. I will look into it more once i upgrade to the 144

Well I just realized I never updated this thread with a better pic of the "finished" bike. Here is how it sits as of today.

205524_3578316911525_1409927611_n.jpg

The bike runs and rides great. My only real complaint with it is the front brakes, buts thats prolly becuase all i done was put new pads in it. I will be at the least flushing the fluid soon. I also plan to install the lightspeed fork guards and a new style front brake line at the least. I may look into either rebuilding the caliper/MC or upgrading to honda parts.

I also need to rebuild the clutch. I picked up a free wiseco basket that has very very light notches. I think they might even just polish out. I will use which ever basket is better and rebuild with some new fibers, steels, and springs.

Also in the plans is a EG 144 kit and a new pipe. Ive been looking for the right deal on a 05+ stock one, but I may just go with a PC works pipe.

Oh and I did pick up a set of frame guards of ebay. A lil late as the frame paint is already worn about as much as it will but I think I may still use them.

I think my reply got erased in the server crash, not sure if you had a chance to read my reply, but in regards to your mush fr brakes, you have the under fork hose routing. This style had to be done by the factories to avoid infringement on the Honda CR brake hose patent. Many hardcore racers would throw that under fork style in the trash and use the newer CR style that snakes behind the fork tube. The CR patent is no longer valid so all the mfg now use the new hose style. My older KX's of the late 90's had your same hose routing, and I NEVER could get a firm feel to the fr brakes. I also used to run CR OEM brake pads in my older KX's The Honda pads had a much better feel than the KX compound.

BTW your bike looks fantastic ! Great job !

Thanks. Yea I mention used a front brake line that is routed "CR" style in my post, just left out "CR" styel lol. Thats definitly in my plans regardless if I go the route of CRF master cylinder or not. Although I did feel the front brake of a honda the other day, that thing was awesome just pushing the bike around. Ive been keeping any eye out on ebay for a good deal on a entire setup, just havent seen the deal that is right for me yet lol.

Thanks. Yea I mention used a front brake line that is routed "CR" style in my post, just left out "CR" styel lol. Thats definitly in my plans regardless if I go the route of CRF master cylinder or not. Although I did feel the front brake of a honda the other day, that thing was awesome just pushing the bike around. Ive been keeping any eye out on ebay for a good deal on a entire setup, just havent seen the deal that is right for me yet lol.

Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger, I may have one or two laying around. The RMZ set up is pretty nice on the YZ too. AJ was trying it on one of his bikes and said it was pretty good, and also a direct bolt on. I have not seen a ride report as of yet though. Maybe I just missed it, but it broadens your options for finding one that fits your quota.

Well I picked up a braided stainless steel line made by Russel on ebay for cheap. Upon disassembling the stock set up, the fluid inside the MC was NASTY. It might just be original to 2001 lol. (Just a side note, the only items not replaced/rebuilt during my project was the front brake system, clutch, and exhaust packing; all of which is getting done now). The diaphram is also messed up. I originally borrowed another from a parts bike a buddy has, but then I found a smoking deal on a complete 06 crf250 brake system, well minus the rubber boot that covers the level pivot and the lever appears to be off a yamaha lol. The question is, do I run the entire crf brake system or put my new braided line on the crf mc and caliper?

I also have pulled the clutch apart and the basket is pretty grooved. I was given a wiseco basket thats in alot better shape, so I will be installing that. I also put some 09 yz450f pegs on and some lightspeed fork guards.

Heres a couple pics of the upgrades for now

Fork guard before and after (dont mind the zipties and missing bolts in the after, that was mock up)

E032A09E-25A2-4E99-B936-5F1611298356-1350-000002E0DD9C92C5_zpse03c0462.jpg

866C93E7-7466-4FB5-8612-14D51F365583-1350-000002E0E5C729E4_zps581e406c.jpg

Comparision of fork guards from the front

49CE0C4A-E50D-47D3-804D-44B5F7DB62D7-5205-00000A2E5F82EF91_zps58dd9637.jpg

Pegs before and after

5C639FB7-8B67-40DE-9541-81EB380C7B0E-533-000000D3E257AB77_zps0e543533.jpg

ADF91981-4F19-4A29-9999-5DB795CE4D87-533-000000D3FD3740F6_zps2967bcc9.jpg

• Like 1

Well I picked up a braided stainless steel line made by Russel on ebay for cheap. Upon disassembling the stock set up, the fluid inside the MC was NASTY. It might just be original to 2001 lol. (Just a side note, the only items not replaced/rebuilt during my project was the front brake system, clutch, and exhaust packing; all of which is getting done now). The diaphram is also messed up. I originally borrowed another from a parts bike a buddy has, but then I found a smoking deal on a complete 06 crf250 brake system, well minus the rubber boot that covers the level pivot and the lever appears to be off a yamaha lol. The question is, do I run the entire crf brake system or put my new braided line on the crf mc and caliper?

I also have pulled the clutch apart and the basket is pretty grooved. I was given a wiseco basket thats in alot better shape, so I will be installing that. I also put some 09 yz450f pegs on and some lightspeed fork guards.

Heres a couple pics of the upgrades for now

Fork guard before and after (dont mind the zipties and missing bolts in the after, that was mock up)

E032A09E-25A2-4E99-B936-5F1611298356-1350-000002E0DD9C92C5_zpse03c0462.jpg

866C93E7-7466-4FB5-8612-14D51F365583-1350-000002E0E5C729E4_zps581e406c.jpg

Comparision of fork guards from the front

49CE0C4A-E50D-47D3-804D-44B5F7DB62D7-5205-00000A2E5F82EF91_zps58dd9637.jpg

Pegs before and after

5C639FB7-8B67-40DE-9541-81EB380C7B0E-533-000000D3E257AB77_zps0e543533.jpg

ADF91981-4F19-4A29-9999-5DB795CE4D87-533-000000D3FD3740F6_zps2967bcc9.jpg

Run the CRF line... sell the Yami line.

Thanks Brian, that what Im gonna do. Any one want to buy a brand new russell braided SS line or some good used front brake levers? lol

The honda brakes are extremely spongy at the moment. The fluid is cooked in them tho. I started changing the fluid, but didnt have time to finish. Hopefully between new fluid, and the correct lever installed, they will be okay.

Blown silencer packing anyone? lol

78E08017-C3AF-4FD1-8031-6609BEAE9545-161-000000042F830797_zps74cb7b85.jpg

Yea, this packing was in bad shape. It actually tore apart when i pulled the core out. The majority was stuck inside the can.

Thanks Brian, that what Im gonna do. Any one want to buy a brand new russell braided SS line or some good used front brake levers? lol

The honda brakes are extremely spongy at the moment. The fluid is cooked in them tho. I started changing the fluid, but didnt have time to finish. Hopefully between new fluid, and the correct lever installed, they will be okay.

Blown silencer packing anyone? lol

78E08017-C3AF-4FD1-8031-6609BEAE9545-161-000000042F830797_zps74cb7b85.jpg

Yea, this packing was in bad shape. It actually tore apart when i pulled the core out. The majority was stuck inside the can.

Damn, how many hours on that packing?

I would hold on to the stainless line for the moment. Rule out that the honda line isnt the culprit after you change fluid, i've gotten brand new lines (galfer) before that didnt want to hold pressure. The honda line is only slightly better imo due to the line being shorter (unless you got the direct routing line). I would not hesitate to run a yami line if i had one laying around though. I have heard rumors that they (Galfer) are known to have issues with the end pieces though. They have always replaced them with no questions asked as long as there was no damage to the line caused by me.

New fluid will likely do the trick in your case. Make sure to flush the system well with some kind of cleaner, i have gotten some nastiness out of the brake system by flushing the system. It amazes me how time consuming changing brake fluid can be sometimes.

I have no clue how many hours are on that packing. Im assuming its original to the silencer lol. Thats one of the few things I didnt mess with when I rebuilt the bike, kinda regretting that decision now. But oh well I guess, its done lol.

Waiting on my clutch basket to get back from a buddy so I can fire it up and here the sound difference.

• Like 1

Well I just realized I never updated this thread with a better pic of the "finished" bike. Here is how it sits as of today.

The bike runs and rides great. My only real complaint with it is the front brakes, buts thats prolly becuase all i done was put new pads in it. I will be at the least flushing the fluid soon. I also plan to install the lightspeed fork guards and a new style front brake line at the least. I may look into either rebuilding the caliper/MC or upgrading to honda parts.

I also need to rebuild the clutch. I picked up a free wiseco basket that has very very light notches. I think they might even just polish out. I will use which ever basket is better and rebuild with some new fibers, steels, and springs.

Also in the plans is a EG 144 kit and a new pipe. Ive been looking for the right deal on a 05+ stock one, but I may just go with a PC works pipe.

Oh and I did pick up a set of frame guards of ebay. A lil late as the frame paint is already worn about as much as it will but I think I may still use them.

is that a 250f rear shock?

HOW IS IT SO CLEAN, I WANT MINE T LOOK LIKE THIS

Its a stock rear shock as far as I can tell.

oh, what about the shrouds and graphics? are those stock shrouds? what handlebar bend are those?

Tank and shrouds were updated to the 02+ set up.

The look is growing on me.

thanks

I just read this whole thread from the beginning (I'm very bored lol). All I gotta say is you did great on the bike! It looks awesome! Very clean for how old it is. So how much would you say it cost you total ,not including the $200 you payed for the bike?

And have you thought about the ufo restyled plastics? I'm thinking about putting them on my 02 yz 125. Anybody heard anything about them?

Edited by YzShelby394

Thanks. I think I have the majority, if not all, the receipts from the build. But I never did add it up. When I started riding the bike, I probably had $1200 or so in it, not including the bike.

The only plastics I could run from the restyled kit is the shrouds. I dont think they would look right with the rest of the bike.

Thanks. I think I have the majority, if not all, the receipts from the build. But I never did add it up. When I started riding the bike, I probably had $1200 or so in it, not including the bike.

The only plastics I could run from the restyled kit is the shrouds. I dont think they would look right with the rest of the bike.

Hey $1200's not too bad! I think I'm going to get the restyled plastic, but I'm gonna wait til I actually need new plastics first.