Sign in to follow this  

planning 4,000 km road trip

what i need to know is: will my xr250 be able to make this journey from turkey to denmark? will 10 - 12 hours of riding everyday for however long it takes to cross almost 4,000 km do the motor harm? i will change oil along the way, but do you guys think a trip like that in the august heat could likely cause my bike to break down?

son that would be a long ride on my gl1800 much less a 250 honda. yeah it will probably make it but honda offers a long list of bikes big and small that would make the trip more enjoyable.10-12 hours in the saddle is way rough to on a big bike much less something like you are planning on.

I would say, gear it so that whatever your average speed, the engine isn't being kept at a hi rpm all day. If you're going to be doing a lot of sustained speeds, you might consider dropping in a 1 step cooler spark plug. Other than that, if you start out with the engine well tuned and in good shape, I don't see a problem.

That's an ambitious ride you have planned. Should be quite the adventure. Best of luck to you.

Good advice from Trailryder 42. Sounds like fun to me, I'd say go for it. Which model 250 do you have?

Re-gear the bike, hit the road and have fun. People have ridden xr250s, xt225s, tw200s and many other smaller bikes around the world. Maybe not the most comfortable bike for a long ride, but easily within the bike's capability.

R

Your butt is going to be a much bigger problem than the motor.

No way in hell MY butt could take that.

Take lots of padding.................................

I think the gears are pretty good for a long distance ride, but ill count the sprocket teeth and compare the setup to others, though even at around 100km/h the rpm seems far from being dangerously high.

i can imagine by butt and legs are going to get soar, i took a 3 or 4 hour ride yesterday through the mountains as a mini test run. i got a little soar, but all in all i felt great. im going to get a fender rack and saddle, load it with a little extra weight and go for a longer ride to see how it affects performance.

if i can get all legal papers to make this happen, and if i can get my bike to turkey on a ferry, im definitely going through with it. i may be posting a lot of questions over the next few weeks while im planning. thanks to those who have offered advice, im always open to all feedback

the bike by the way is a Japanese 1995 xr250, though it has a 96-04 chassis and motor, apparently it as introduced in japan one year earlier than other places.

I think the gears are pretty good for a long distance ride, but ill count the sprocket teeth and compare the setup to others, though even at around 100km/h the rpm seems far from being dangerously high.

i can imagine by butt and legs are going to get soar, i took a 3 or 4 hour ride yesterday through the mountains as a mini test run. i got a little soar, but all in all i felt great. im going to get a fender rack and saddle, load it with a little extra weight and go for a longer ride to see how it affects performance.

if i can get all legal papers to make this happen, and if i can get my bike to turkey on a ferry, im definitely going through with it. i may be posting a lot of questions over the next few weeks while im planning. thanks to those who have offered advice, im always open to all feedback

the bike by the way is a Japanese 1995 xr250, though it has a 96-04 chassis and motor, apparently it as introduced in japan one year earlier than other places.

one 3-4 hr ride compared to 8 straight days of 10 hours a day?

Um., prepare for some serious pain my friend. :lol:

IF you do manage to get 10 hr days in, bet you can't get on the bike anymore by day 4.

You butt is going to look like one of those weird monkeys you see in the zoo with the flaming red butts. :ride:

really tight biking shorts underneath + talcum powder? that might work

Run full synthetic oil and clean the air filter everyday

This has worked for me for a lot of years. When I am going to spend long hours in the saddle, I grease up with A&D ointment to prevent the dreaded monkey butt, A&D available at any drugstore.

4,000k on an XR seat?

Going to take a lot more than A&D alone. :ride:

Sheepskin seat cover, A&D, riding shorts, ALL of them +.

Man and I thought the 500 mile ride each way I was planning with my XR when its done was gonna be a long trip!

I had this done on my xr250 over the caorse of 6 weeks. As the person using the bike didnt change the oil or air filter the whole time and doing ~110-120kph he ended up chipping an exhaust valve. lots of carbon build up, but still good ish.

I just went about 2,400 km on a trip a few weeks ago on a 94 XR 250L. Padded cycling shorts are a MUST. I rode about 7-8 hrs a day, stopped about every hour and a half for gas and a butt break. Riding 7-8 hrs a day including butt and food stops will get you about 400 km/day.

I did a road trip last year and rode 10 hrs one day, that was a VERY long day and I was really tired by the end. Riding tired is dangerous and I don't recommend it. Plan a pace that doesn't leave you tired. You want to have fun, so don't force yourself to stay on a really tight schedule.

If you have the stock gas tank, take a 1 gal gas can with you. Otherwise get a large aftermarket tank. Also when wearing the padded cycling shorts, do NOT wear underwear underneath them- just wear the shorts and your pants.

I planned way ahead- I wrote up a list of everything i might possibly need months before I went, and slowly whittled it down to what were the absolute essentials. If you want I can send you my list.

You will have a lot of fun, i guarantee that. Plan well and expect the unexpected. Budget in a few extra days in case of bad weather or if something goes wrong.

I just went about 2,400 km on a trip a few weeks ago on a 94 XR 250L. Padded cycling shorts are a MUST. I rode about 7-8 hrs a day, stopped about every hour and a half for gas and a butt break. Riding 7-8 hrs a day including butt and food stops will get you about 400 km/day.

I did a road trip last year and rode 10 hrs one day, that was a VERY long day and I was really tired by the end. Riding tired is dangerous and I don't recommend it. Plan a pace that doesn't leave you tired. You want to have fun, so don't force yourself to stay on a really tight schedule.

If you have the stock gas tank, take a 1 gal gas can with you. Otherwise get a large aftermarket tank. Also when wearing the padded cycling shorts, do NOT wear underwear underneath them- just wear the shorts and your pants.

I planned way ahead- I wrote up a list of everything i might possibly need months before I went, and slowly whittled it down to what were the absolute essentials. If you want I can send you my list.

You will have a lot of fun, i guarantee that. Plan well and expect the unexpected. Budget in a few extra days in case of bad weather or if something goes wrong.

yes, please send me that list! im also making a list. this plan isnt a for sure thing yet. my biggest obstacle will be getting my bike to turkey from lebanon-- it's a financial issue... the road through syria is suicide, according to my friends on that side of the border, so ill have to put it on a ferry. but im still planning it in the meantime, please send me any other tips and suggestions. thanks for all ur help guys

Also I forgot- I changed my spark plug to one cooler heat range like someone on here suggested for sustained high speed riding. No problems. I rode at about 100kph most of the time, and it was about 36 degrees outside. The bike ran fine with no problems.

Also I forgot- I changed my spark plug to one cooler heat range like someone on here suggested for sustained high speed riding. No problems. I rode at about 100kph most of the time, and it was about 36 degrees outside. The bike ran fine with no problems.

what areas did you travel through?

and what kind of tires did u use and would you recommend?

I just went on a 4,000MI ride on my XR650L, a bit bigger bike, but about the same seat... I don't understand what you guys are complaining about.. I just stand up when I get tired of sitting. thats what pegs are for ;p. I put in a l

Get a spare gas can or a bigger tank.. I recommend the clarke 3.5g or whatever it is.. a 1g plastic can is okay too

Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag. ABSOLUTELY a MUST. nothing else I have found comes anywhere close. don't know how shipping will work for you in Lebanon though. I am sure they could work something out.

Enough tools to tear your top end off and change a tire on the side of the road...

tire spoons, air pump, hand tools, electrical tape, lots of zip ties. I ran out of tire 3/4 the way through and had to change a tire with what I had on the bike... the dish soap I put in a small bottle made 1000% difference... same with the 12v air pump

get a decent tank bag, a small one that you can throw your camera and cell phone in

consider a small windscreen for all the rocks and bugs and crap, and to hide behind in the thunderstorms...

change your oil, adjust valves, lube your chain, grease everything up

get a temp gauge for your oil.. the highway tends to bake these airheads pretty good

if you can weld, or know someone.. reinforce your rear subframe. the stock ones can and WILL break.

I recommend Pirelli MT16s or Dunlop D606s for knobbies.. Kenda K270s for 50/50 use. I ran some cheapo Cheng Ching Chong tires and they really sucked. I normally run D606 rear/ pirelli front

and make sure you don't have any crap hanging off that will get caught in your tire.. like loose straps or anything.

Hyderbike.jpg

IMG_7874.JPG

IMG_7630.JPG

I tent camped the whole way.. heres more to add if you are a real man and don't hotel it the whole way :thumbsup:

get Seattle Sports dry bags, one for your sleeping bag, one for your clothes

get a good Bivy Sac for your sleeping bag to keep it dry

get a good one man tent that you can fit on the bike

get a good 3M or so tarp that you can hang over your tent to keep everything dry

get an inflatable mattress, use your exhaust pipe to inflate it. idle the motor, don't rev it or it gets too hot

get more dry bags for your important stuff like camera gear

get a penny stove (google search) or look up Steverstove on google

carry lots of cash in every currency you might need

carry a knife, pepper spray, a gun if you can smuggle it

flashlight and spare battery

HAM radio 3m/70cm is good

list of repeaters

firestarter

first aid kit.. or just some antibiotic, gauze, tape, and sewing kit for stitches on nasty ones

pack of gum and cigarettes will get you a long way in foreign land

GPS with topo maps loaded

maps in a waterproof container

Spare headlight bulb!

good luck!