Treverton Pa.

Some Trevorton side pics:

The "Cold Spot" or "Blow out"

Cold air blows out of these small caves 24/7. Very refreshing after a long summer ride.

c2133778.jpg

"Mile Long Lake" or "Mile"

This man made lake was drained in order to restart mining operations. Was a huge hot spot back in the day.

mile1.jpg

This is all that remains in the background.

photo2.jpg

The "WhaleBack" is a local favorite.

photo3.jpg

"Coal Pile" is the most popular site and is currently "off limits".

IMG_0066.JPG

On the Shamokin side pics:

"Pipeline" it connects northern and southern Shamokin... well not anymore.

fba59264.jpg

96dfd62a-1.jpg

I will post more pics of whatever we find on the Shamokin side.

I did not know that the "coal pile" was closed off, when we were at the top of it there was a white F150 parked at the bottom of the hill(on the backside) the guy was standing at the front of his truck staring at us with his hands on his hips. Not sure who he was, but he didn't wait for us to come down and he left after a while. Why did they close it, did someone get hurt?

I did not know that the "coal pile" was closed off, when we were at the top of it there was a white F150 parked at the bottom of the hill(on the backside) the guy was standing at the front of his truck staring at us with his hands on his hips. Not sure who he was, but he didn't wait for us to come down and he left after a while. Why did they close it, did someone get hurt?

It's not closed..

The zerbe township supervisors are overstepping their authority (and flat out lying to the media)

The piles are open, with the stipulation that the area between the road and trevorton is closed (the scale house area)

...when we were at the top of it there was a white F150 parked at the bottom of the hill(on the backside) the guy was standing at the front of his truck staring at us with his hands on his hips.

Never heard of this guy. The only person I have seen is the one armed man and the Zerbe Township Police.

Why did they close it, did someone get hurt?

The locals complained about the dust that wafts into town when there is a large amount of ATV traffic on and around the hills. As far as RAC is concerned, Permit holds are authorized to ride there and will not be prosecuted for trespassing. While the Zerbe Police are being pressured by their higher to keep people out.

Found this rant on another site:

I am seeing this all unfold. Zerbe police will give people fines. They will get taken to court and the charges dropped, As long as you have a good standing permit from Reading. The Zerbe local government will use these as bandstanding events to try and push for an tax funded OHV park. The park will fail over a couple of years and all the taxpayer money that funded the cost of building the park and "Safety modifications" will be lost. A large corporation will buy the park and jack up the rates. Just like what happened at Rausch Creek, former Tower City Trail Riders Association.

End Rant

It's not closed..

The zerbe township supervisors are overstepping their authority (and flat out lying to the media)

Agreed.. They are overstepping their authority and that is why I put "off limits" in quotes and italicized as sarcasm.

The piles are open, with the stipulation that the area between the road and trevorton is closed (the scale house area)

My friends said the police are explaining it as "the area" is off limits; inferring that the Coal Pile is off limits as well. This is good to know, Thanks:thumbsup:

I'd be interested in a tour of Treverton when you put it together. I'm a RAC member, but ride off of Burma Road and Duncot. Always looking for new areas to ride. Is there a lot of single track either at Treverton or Shamokin?

I'd be interested in a tour of Treverton when you put it together. I'm a RAC member, but ride off of Burma Road and Duncot. Always looking for new areas to ride. Is there a lot of single track either at Treverton or Shamokin?

Traditional goat trail style single track... No.

It's more rocky washed out fire roads than anything else. But there is just so much of it.

I'm not going to lie though... I f&ckin' love it.

I used to actually go 4 wheelin with jeeps years ago on the shamokin side. I am trying to get a grasp on this. I know there is rac land and northumberland county land. The rac land I can get a permit for, but do the authorities bother anyone from just riding on the county land? I think that is the land I am familiar with in the shamokin side.

This is my room mate getting owned jumping down the "widowmaker" at Trevorton. Fast forward to about 10 seconds before the end of the video. He ate it hard. Managed to get a nice ride a helicopter to the hospital.

I would love to meet up with someone who knows the trails well. I prefer trail riding over hill climbs anyhow.

I can keep up pretty well, I just don't know the area well. If anyone is down to meet up sometime please let me know!

I used to actually go 4 wheelin with jeeps years ago on the shamokin side. I am trying to get a grasp on this. I know there is rac land and northumberland county land. The rac land I can get a permit for, but do the authorities bother anyone from just riding on the county land? I think that is the land I am familiar with in the shamokin side.

I as well have no idea which land it is either. When we have been asked to stop or been waved over by police or security, we always comply and talk to them and they don't ask us to leave. They normally just want to know if we have seen people dumping or other criminal activity.

Took my kids up twice since recent dirt bike purchase, they really enjoyed 4wheelin, people are nice and helpful. Alot cheaper than an mx track. Saw some campers with an RV, that would be cool.

I as well have no idea which land it is either. When we have been asked to stop or been waved over by police or security, we always comply and talk to them and they don't ask us to leave. They normally just want to know if we have seen people dumping or other criminal activity.

RAC only owns coal hill, and some/all? of the flats.

Took my kids up twice since recent dirt bike purchase, they really enjoyed 4wheelin, people are nice and helpful. Alot cheaper than an mx track. Saw some campers with an RV, that would be cool.

My family used to camp up there when I was a kid. We'd take a mobile home and a pickup truck with three bikes in it, pulling a trailer with a dune buggy. We would be up there from friday morning till monday afternoon. Loved it.

Update: Took a day trip up to Shamokin yesterday to do some exploring. Nothing but rocky, rocky, rocky, trails. Most ended in dead ends. Couldn't find the offroad route to Centralia.

Won't be going back to Shamokin anytime soon:thumbsdn:

Might be hitting Trevorton this weekend:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Is there a map or anything available of these trails? I will be coming up from Hershey and have no idea on where to park or start the ride let alone how to get from A to B on the trails. I hear there is many miles of trails but have had no luck with finding a map. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Is there a map or anything available of these trails? I will be coming up from Hershey and have no idea on where to park or start the ride let alone how to get from A to B on the trails. I hear there is many miles of trails but have had no luck with finding a map. Thanks!

If your interested I can pm some info to you. The flats are pretty easy to find. It's the main parking area. As far as the trails I have a few gpx files if you want them. I don't really use the GPS to find or stay on trails just to see where we were and what kind of distance we covered. I think you have to try pretty hard to get lost up there unless you have a really poor sense of direction. As long as you stay in the valley you won't get lost. There's pretty much too many trails to have a map of all the trails. There are a few main ones with many trails branching off connecting the main trails.

If your interested I can pm some info to you. The flats are pretty easy to find. It's the main parking area. As far as the trails I have a few gpx files if you want them. I don't really use the GPS to find or stay on trails just to see where we were and what kind of distance we covered. I think you have to try pretty hard to get lost up there unless you have a really poor sense of direction. As long as you stay in the valley you won't get lost. There's pretty much too many trails to have a map of all the trails. There are a few main ones with many trails branching off connecting the main trails.

Thats great and I would appreciate anything you can offer so when I get there I have some clue as to what is going on! I think a few of us will make the trip next weekend!

• Like 1