pic of 2011 rmz trans gear

The bottom line to everyone is that there is not near the amount of RM-Z250 out there as other brands. I think there has been enough known failures to at least warn anyone with a 2010/11. I know I would feel pretty crappy if I didn't tell someone of a problem I had and they got hurt or even worse. Every thread turns into a pissing match-I just don't get it.

I don't have much to offer in regards to seeing any first hand. My son is literally the only RMZ 250 rider in the state of ND. crazy. I take that back there are a couple novice guys that show up once in a great while. but he's the only full time rider in the state that I'm aware of.

You guys are getting first hand knowledge from people in the buisness stating they know of many many issues, they have fixed them and rebuild them. What more do you need??? Stop beating around the bush its a problem. I experienced it first hand and will never buy another suzuki again. Krony506 that is a great attitude, i for one feel the same way as I almost ended my season with a false neutral landing over a 3rd gear wide open jump. my bike didnt make 10 hours. That machine is a liability in my opinion.

Such a shame. It wouldnt be a big deal if suzuki made an announcement and would warranty these. The 11 RMZ250 is such a sweet machine, but suzuki is so dissapointing. KTM has such a good reputation for fixing defects, and even kawasaki, ive heard of honda stepping up as well. For the amount of bikes suzuki sells I dont think they can afford this kind of press!

I had the '04 RMZ-250 with the "no it doesn't have a" valve problem. 3 bikes later, not one of them has been a Suzuki and probably never will be because of their lack of interest in covering their defects. So this thread doesn't surprise me.

Loved the bike except for it being a money pit.

Tex

Literally EVERY single RMZ down here has had a tranny failure of some sort.

the false nuetrals are from exactly what is shown - and the other failures not sure yet, just locking up.

If you are an owner - I think it's stupid to talk yourself into thinking they DONT have some sort of problem...

NOT everyone down here..... our's are in good shape. ?

I had the '04 RMZ-250 with the "no it doesn't have a" valve problem. 3 bikes later, not one of them has been a Suzuki and probably never will be because of their lack of interest in covering their defects. So this thread doesn't surprise me.

Loved the bike except for it being a money pit.

Tex

That bike was built by kawasaki... I also had one of those bikes for awhile and so did 3 buddies with no problems until one of them put the oil filter in backwards in one bike. I guess we are just luckier in oregon, we dont have the "thumpertalk bugs" haha

after thirty plus hours on our 2011 now my son has not had any tranny/neutral issues. the only thing he says about the tranny is he can hardly find neutral. it is easier to go from second to neutral than first to neutral. which is totally opposite of any bike I've ever been on or around.

Did you compare your new and old gears? The gear looks totally fine, like brand new. It's not rounded off, it's involute toothing, the most important toothing in engineering. The teeth mesh together perfectly. If it were "straight", they would slam into each other and deform or even brake easily.

i have a 2004 rmz250... wat would be some good mods to make it look cool? it has a 270cc big bore kit

I said iv seen 3 that had problems on this website, not that iv personally seen. BTW this is all I do I as well, Im a top grad from MMI, own a dealership in oregon (im not giving the name on thumpertalk), I worked on the supercross track crew for years, Iv worked as a factory mechanic in canada, and am working for a pro rider now based out of decatur. So yes Iv seen plenty of these bikes....

You sir either A. need to backup your info. or B. stop posting as your run around just make you look like a 15 year old kid who wouldn't know how to change his own oil let alone rebuild an engine..

"I'm this, I'm that I can do this, I can do that" No proof

after thirty plus hours on our 2011 now my son has not had any tranny/neutral issues. the only thing he says about the tranny is he can hardly find neutral. it is easier to go from second to neutral than first to neutral. which is totally opposite of any bike I've ever been on or around.

I am now also now at this many hrs and I report the same as the guy in the quote. Besides that the bike is just the best thing

Very pleased and while I have one ear/eye on the lookout for a tranny issue there is nothing, oils remain in good nick and filters not collecting any metal either

Seems 2011 RMZ is a good machine in my experience.

Lets get another 30hrs on this bike!

Local dealer hasnt had any comebacks on trannys as yet either ......... for what its worth

You sir either A. need to backup your info. or B. stop posting as your run around just make you look like a 15 year old kid who wouldn't know how to change his own oil let alone rebuild an engine..

"I'm this, I'm that I can do this, I can do that" No proof

Haha I couldnt care less if you believe me or not. If you knew anything about mechanics you could just read through every post iv made and im pretty sure you'd figure it out yourself

well unfortunately i have one of the 2010rmz's that does find a false neutral when shifting from 2nd into 3rd on hard accelation. it has almost put me over the bars serveral times. i dont want to argue with anyone why its happening or even if its happening i just wanna know if anyone knows how to fix this or a shop that can. thanks for the help in advance.

Hi all,

I have been reading this thread with great interest.

I have just put 2hrs on my bike (2011 RMZ 250) over the weekend.

I think I hit 3-4 false neutrals in the first hour (4 seperate rides). However what is different with mine is that every one was when shifting from 4th to 5th gear with the throttle backed off and the clutch used for the shift (I was running the bike in). It would rev like I had hit neutral and then before I could correct it would just 'slip' into gear. Weird! I have never had this happen to me before and I have owned many bikes both raced and trailridden. Has anyone else experienced this? I have not hit a false neutral at any other point or between any other gears.

Since then I have dropped and replaced the run in oil and changed the filter (no excess metal found just tiny particles you expect). I used Motul semi synthetic 4 stroke oil in 10W 50 as the replacement oil.

I have since put a good hard hours riding on the bike and have not experienced another issue. I have revved it to the moon and I have short shifted it and lugged it through the gears. I have always used the clutch when shifting by the way.

Anyway I just thought this might link in somewhere so I thought I would make you all aware.

Sorry for the long post!

I know you guys are bike riders, but I ride a 2008 Suzuki LTR450 Quadracer and I have went through 3 3rd gear sets due to the teeth breaking off or pitting. My last set of gears were machined billet gears with the ISF (polishing) treatment. Any of the '08-2010 LTRs are pretty notorious for 3rd gear failures at about 20 or so hours. Suzuki knows of the problem as they have revised the gears 2-3 times since '08....They are better but still cash out prematurely. Suzuki really needs to figure stuff out with the gears failing.

The false neutral was an issue with the 2006-2007 LTR450 and Suzuki did make it better in '08 by making the wheel on the detent arm bigger and putting in a stronger detent spring. I've had an '06 and have my '08 now and will tell you I have never gotten a false neutral with my '08. The dogs being worn like in the first pic is normal wear.

my 2cents

• 1 month later...

I am not too far from Harris Performance , relatively speaking , just over the pond in Belgium / Holland ... I have the same kind of business mx and off road bikes , That's all e do day in day out ..... If it was not for the RMZ gearboxes we would have half the work we do !!! Getting the gears undercut about 1 degree on the engaging dogs , then super finished , plus the stiffer detent springs and it will go a whole season without issues.. It is an expensive outlay for a lot of mods to a brand new bike .... But it is cheaper in the long run and makes for a pleasant season .... Going to a race knowing that its good, is peace of mind ...... rather than IS my bike going to hold together for another day ????

I am not too far from Harris Performance , relatively speaking , just over the pond in Belgium / Holland ... I have the same kind of business mx and off road bikes , That's all e do day in day out ..... If it was not for the RMZ gearboxes we would have half the work we do !!! Getting the gears undercut about 1 degree on the engaging dogs , then super finished , plus the stiffer detent springs and it will go a whole season without issues.. It is an expensive outlay for a lot of mods to a brand new bike .... But it is cheaper in the long run and makes for a pleasant season .... Going to a race knowing that its good, is peace of mind ...... rather than IS my bike going to hold together for another day ????

I had not even thought about undercutting them - but it's a great solution to helping when a shift is done poorly...

I may need to look into this!