'91-95 XR250L/R - Secondary AirBox Cover Missing? (Pics)

TT,

I was browsing the parts fiche and noticed a part listed that my XR250L does not seem to have, and that according to the parts fiche it *should* have...

3291_AIR%20CLEANER%2086-91.gif

Part #9 - it looks like a secondary cover that is supposed to fit over the airbox. I don't seem to have a good seal around mine, and I wonder if this missing part is the reason why.

I've had trouble tracking down pictures of this thing, and this small photo is as close as I can find..

140.jpg

I'm talking about the small black cover in the background. I'm pretty sure that this is supposed to fit over the airbox and provide an even stronger seal.

You guys with XR250s from that era - do you have this part? I'm trying to track down a slightly lean running issue (my jet / exhaust combo should not have the bike running lean) and extra air provided through the side of that cover would likely add to the issue, even if just a small amount. A small exhaust leak I've found probably isn't helping, either.

Please advise!

I appreciate the information. Turns out that my exhaust header is not only cracked near the bend, but the gasket has been leaking.. Those definitely explain the backfiring I've had trouble tracking down as well as the slightly lean issue. Seems like the airbox is the least of my concern for the time being.

Thanks again.

I bought a new set of Maier sidecovers because it has the airbox cover included but it is a really bad fit and takes some stuffing round just to get the sidecover/s on the left side

It does not sit into the groove (without forcing) to seal the airbox which was a bit annoying for the price of them

Checkout my garage>

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=21779