Are we freaks?

I spent most of the weekend on my Kawi C-14. Most bikes did the "wave" thing except a few Harley guys but that's to be expected.

I jump on the DRZ this afternoon for a little dirt road riding & guess what...no waves. Other riders act as if we dual-sport riders are invisible.

It reminds me of a time when I had My KTM 640. I had been up on the Canadian border helping herd cows on the family ranch. Yes, I & the bike were filthy...including lots of fresh cow manure. I had about 120 miles to ride home late Saturday afternoon but took a small break at a McDonalds in Omak, WA. As I was parking the bike a bunch of guys pulled up on BMW GS models. The bikes were all shinny & clean. I walked over to start up a conversation & they snubbed me like I was from Mars. I guess in their opinion I took the dual-sport thing a bit too far.

Okay, perhaps it just me! ?

there seems to be some kind of a waving code, a caste system if you will. the one guy on a harley who gave me a friendly nod and a wave looked like someone who could pass for santa during the holidays. the common thing to do is the upside down peace sign passing each other on a two laner in the twisties. sports bike guys, especially the ones with the roman mohawk thing on the helmet are too cool to be bothered. i have to confess my own prejudice. it just does not feel right giving a sincere thumbs up to the guys on vespas.

99% of the time I stick my hand out and wave. Honestly wether I'm on the DRZ or my Harley I get the same amount of waves back reguardless of the type of bike I'm waving to. Truth is, bike make and model aside, some people are jerks/too cool, and others aren't. ?

I get waves everywhere on my DRZ... except of course from most Harley 'riders'... It's the same for me on the Z as when I'm on my FZ1. No matter what I ride, BMW riders never wave. I used to own one, they don't even wave to each other... LOL

I have found that more Harley riders wave than they did 20 years ago. It used to be that none of the Harley riders would wave.

I'm usually riding my electric Ninja 250. I'm not sure they would wave if they realized it was electric!

I get waves all the time. There are a few people that just don't. I live in a vary popular motorcycle riding area and I strike up conversations with other motorcyclist on all bikes. Heck most of the time they approach me and start talking.

Last Friday me(DR-Z400) and buddy(DR650) were out riding when we ran up on some rain. We pulled our bikes into a gas station that was filled with motorcycles and we all talked and hung out for a hour. Everything from DR-Z, DR, Enduros, street bikes, and Harley all hanging out.

Its just the bikes, you know how road riders can't say hello to dirt bikers. I mean, they ride on the flat smooth road, its really hard so they have to concentrate on the road. I get waves from everyone when I'm on my cruiser but none on the DRZ. I do the same though, I do not wave at people on scooters since they don't have a clutch I don't consider it a bike.

I'm usually riding my electric Ninja 250. I'm not sure they would wave if they realized it was electric!

LOL!

I'm always surprised by the number of waves I DO get from Harley guys.

I know this is a thread on waving but I was parking the deezer a few weeks ago and a guy came up to me on foot and we started talking bikes. He eventually said that I needed to get a real bike. When I asked him what he rode he said a goldwing trike. I didn't make fun of him or anything because it is always fun to talk riding but in my head I was thinking that his ride was a lot closer to an auto than a bike.

In my neck of the woods most riders wave. I'll even wave to some of the bigger scooters.

LOL!

I'm always surprised by the number of waves I DO get from Harley guys.

Same here. The sport bike guys around here shun the drz but the harley guys love it. I bought both my harley and drz to the great southern rally in May and talked about the drz far more than the harley ?

When I first passed my test in 1996 everyone would wave at everyone no matter what bike they were on. Everyone just seems to stick to their own types of bikes now.

I work at a bike garage and depending on what i ride round the block for the road test depends if i get a wave or not.

I've been rather surprised at the number of waves I get. I live in the big bad Apple- and NYC riders on the whole have been super friendly. In fact- on my dodgy (no license yet) first ride home from NJ where I picked the bike up I got waves from Harley riders and others. People seem to love the z400 and don't appear shy to let me know. A kid of about 14 came up to me last week to tell me that it was "his dream bike". Yeah... Me too. ?