Sign in to follow this  

shoulder/upper arm protection w/o roost guard

I need shoulder and deltoid protection for the trees. I do not want the roost guard as it impedes air flow during the summer. Can anybody point me to a product?

Thanks

If you realized that trees on the ground can kill you, you would want a roost guard. A hard plastic one.

Ive almost been impaled before, fell back on down tree, with short, pointy busted off branch, landed nearly centered square on my back, and bike landed on me. I slid off the stub because of the roost guard, ended up with a big slice on my tricep, if the hard plastic chest protector wouldnt have been there i would have been stabbed..

I have the Fly Racing Convertable 2. It's not terribly hot at all and you can set it up to your liking. It's got vent slots for air flow as most of them do.

It's hard to find exactly what you're imagining. You may be better off coming up with something on your own, as many of us have done.

The upper arm, shoulder and clavicle protection on todays roost/chest protectors is a joke for any real impact protection. Take a look at Hockey shoulder girdles. Many of us have come up with our own setups, adapting a hockey shoulder girdle to an MX roost gaurd.

I agree with stlavsa, any tree that you're worried about hitting your arms can do more critical damage to your torso/chest if unprotected. You DO realize what's under there don't you?

Impedes airflow?.........give me a break. The first time you take a branch to the chest you're going to think "this is not the kind of ventilation I was thinking about".

Here's the front and back panels of my old Thor roost gaurd mated to a set of hockey shoulder pads. There's a thread around here somewhere on what others have come up with after seeing mine.

cp3.jpg

cp7.jpg

381370642oQtEVG_th.jpg

• Like 1

Im not a big sports fan but it sounds like you need football shoulder pads! You may have trouble in the tight stuff though! Thats kind of funny!

The last time I rode without a CP, I broke 7 ribs and punctured my right lung. I will never ride without one again. Even if it only deflects some impact, that is far better than without. I was also nearly impaled years ago when I flipped a Quad. Just missed driving a broken off branch into my chest.

I use an MSR model CP, and I never notice it being on. If I get hot, the first thing I want to pull off is my goggles - another bad idea.

Edited by gsa102
added info

as some have pointed out, riding in the woods without chest/back protection isn't a great idea. You could drill some additonal holes in the front of a c.p. just don't space em too close or it could crack.

I had firm foam knee pads from somewhere, and cut them down a tad.. I zip tied them to the straps of my chest protector that has those side of the upper arm protector things?? .. They are held in place by the straps and the curve fits nicely right over the shoulders. They are holding up pretty well too, and im not coming back from tight fast woods rides with holes in the jersey and scrapes on my shoulder. I also like the little extra protection when i do take a tumble.

THe protection TrailRyder42 has is AWESOME ..

Impedes airflow?.........give me a break. The first time you take a branch to the chest you're going to think "this is not the kind of ventilation I was thinking about".

hahahaha

I need shoulder and deltoid protection for the trees. I do not want the roost guard as it impedes air flow during the summer. Can anybody point me to a product?

Thanks

ACERBIS has a new product that is 2 pieces, you would have to buy both and not use the chest protector or I am looking at getting just the chest protector and you could keep the other part.

http://www.mx1west.com/acerbis-cosmo-d3o-chest-roost-deflector.aspx