Dungy to KTM?

Having recently got my first KTM after riding and wrenching on Yamaha's for years, I can honestly say that the KTM is easier to work on. Its the truth.

Regarding the tools, when you bought your set of wrenches, it came with a 13mm. You've got one. So what's the problem? And the torx bits, again, how are they are problem. Instead of a 10mm bolt that's you can also use a phillips on, you can use a 8mm with a torx bit instead. If you are like most , you'll be using the 8mm socket anyway.

Maybe the older KTM's are difficult to work on, but the more recent ones are a piece of cake.

I love the fact that I can have my seat and tank off of my KTM in less than a couple of minutes. I have wrenched on many types of bikes and I'm totally happy with the engineering on the KTM's.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big for are "proven" in American motocross. KTM is not. Establishing themselves in pro racing here WILL increase their bottom line. They can afford to take the chance.

here's what I don't understand. they have offered an mx bike since at least the early 80's. In 30 years they have yet to leave a mark. I can't understand what the hold up is. And I have no reason to believe it'll suddenly turn around for them. Don't get me wrong I like their bikes for the most part and I think they make a great bike. I love the fact they offer two strokes and have such a desire to just do dirt stuff. But I can't figure out what the missing link is. Maybe Dungey would be that link.

Having recently got my first KTM after riding and wrenching on Yamaha's for years, I can honestly say that the KTM is easier to work on. Its the truth.

Regarding the tools, when you bought your set of wrenches, it came with a 13mm. You've got one. So what's the problem? And the torx bits, again, how are they are problem. Instead of a 10mm bolt that's you can also use a phillips on, you can use a 8mm with a torx bit instead. If you are like most , you'll be using the 8mm socket anyway.

Maybe the older KTM's are difficult to work on, but the more recent ones are a piece of cake.

well that's not saying much:smirk: I think Yammies are the worst to work on.

here's what I don't understand. they have offered an mx bike since at least the early 80's. In 30 years they have yet to leave a mark. I can't understand what the hold up is. And I have no reason to believe it'll suddenly turn around for them. Don't get me wrong I like their bikes for the most part and I think they make a great bike. I love the fact they offer two strokes and have such a desire to just do dirt stuff. But I can't figure out what the missing link is. Maybe Dungey would be that link.

The difference now is they are getting it figured out. They have one everything they set their sights on. Now they are setting their sights on MX. That is a fact. This is the toughest arena for sure. I think now they feel they are ready. They have conceded that the 350 may not be the best bike here. They are focusing on a new 450 now. I sure wouldn't bet against them!

in MXA it sounds like they r going to get rid of alessi to get dungey, what about short he hardly makes any air time on tv. alessi has better results and more exposure i would keep him and let short and the 350 go and have them both ride the new 450

if they continue to use 13mm and torx and have random nuts on the back of bolts the genral public will continue to laugh at them honda revolutionized mx bikes with removeable subframes and 8 and 10 mm bolts with welded on nuts behind them, real racers know you gotta work on it twice as much as you ride it the things are a joke rite now performance aside this is what i think roger d should fix

Wow! Really? You have to work on a KTM twice as much as you ride it? That is absolutely fascinating. Both of my KTMs have been bulletproof and the maintenance is a breeze. All of my friends' KTMs have been bulletproof. I can work on the KTM blindfolded. Do you or have you ever had a KTM? Maybe you know someone who had a bad experience with a KTM. Regardless, I would rather push a KTM than ride another brand. You want something that's hard to work on? Get a Gas Gas. Oh well, I guess everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I just can't believe someone would say KTMs are hard to work on. Jesus Christ, you can take the entire bike apart with the little tool kit that comes with it.

The sales figures are flawed the big 4 that counts all there bike sales street bikes included .KTM sells pretty much all dirt bikes and also owns husaberg which is an awesome bike. So look at it from that perspective .I rather buy from a dirt bike company not a street bike company.

It's easy to make a simple financial comparison between the big four and KTM, but there is a distinct philosophical difference.

For the big four, dirtbikes are a small part of their motorcycling divisions, which in turn are a small part of their overall business. On the other hand, KTM are, with a couple of minor exceptions, a dirtbike company - that's all they do. Actually you could take that a little further and say that they are primarily a dirtbike racing company. That difference I suspect will drive a different approach to how much they are committed to spend on winning.

I've said this before, but you only have to look at KTM's success in other racing disciplines to know that's entirely believable that they'll succeed at MX/SX in the US.

well that's not saying much:smirk: I think Yammies are the worst to work on.

Yammi's are worse than the KTM, that's for sure. I don't have too much experience with other brands. I never owned any modern version of any other brand.

but the one good thing that Yamaha has going for it is that you never really have to work on it. Its so reliable that its almost boring.

It's easy to make a simple financial comparison between the big four and KTM, but there is a distinct philosophical difference.

For the big four, dirtbikes are a small part of their motorcycling divisions, which in turn are a small part of their overall business. On the other hand, KTM are, with a couple of minor exceptions, a dirtbike company - that's all they do. Actually you could take that a little further and say that they are primarily a dirtbike racing company. That difference I suspect will drive a different approach to how much they are committed to spend on winning.

I've said this before, but you only have to look at KTM's success in other racing disciplines to know that's entirely believable that they'll succeed at MX/SX in the US.

A. Short gave some good feed back between hondo and the orange crowd ... hondi was pretty much a well run, top notch place....all business ... the orange bunch VPs are all about racing and winning races ... not so much business suits types ...

If you can get your bike on the starting line in usa sx/mx racing ...U are a success ... Its easier to get into the mofia than that starting line ...unless you are with the 4 japan companies

this is why I don't understand KTM's lack of success. They are strictly a dirt bike company. That's all they concentrate on. They have been running bikes in pro motocross since I believe 1980 and have basically had zero success. Why the hell is that? It makes no sense.

The new 450 should help KTM in the US with the current AMA rules. Remember that they basically stopped development on the current 450 in 09. It may take them another year to fully develop the bike on the track once it's release but I look for them to start having more appearances on the podium in the future .

jeff

A. Short gave some good feed back between hondo and the orange crowd ... hondi was pretty much a well run, top notch place....all business ... the orange bunch VPs are all about racing and winning races ... not so much business suits types ...

If you can get your bike on the starting line in usa sx/mx racing ...U are a success ... Its easier to get into the mofia than that starting line ...unless you are with the 4 japan companies

Just to preface I like KTM stuff. But do you really believe that KTM is any different? This non-sense about the "philosophy" is more phony than marketing literature. As soon as the bean counters add up the losing numbers KTM will look no different than any other company Japanese or otherwise. And besides, do you think Short would be saying this about KTM(all about winning and racing --and he won so many right??) if he had his ass on a Japanese bike right now? That "feedback" is good for nothing IMO.

Edited by Chaconne
spell error

What's KTM's plans to meet the AMA homologation rules for a 450 bike for Dungey for the 2012 SX/MX seasons? They have already announced the 2012 line up and the 450SX is still the old carburated model. Are they planning 2012 1/2 450SX model with all new FI 450 motor? Or, will it be another year before Dungey gets the first generation of their FI 450, that is sure to have some kinks to be worked out?

They can't just cobble together a Frankenstein bike they don't sell in numbers to the public.

What's KTM's plans to meet the AMA homologation rules for a 450 bike for Dungey for the 2012 SX/MX seasons? They have already announced the 2012 line up and the 450SX is still the old carburated model. Are they planning 2012 1/2 450SX model with all new FI 450 motor? Or, will it be another year before Dungey gets the first generation of their FI 450, that is sure to have some kinks to be worked out?

They can't just cobble together a Frankenstein bike they don't sell in numbers to the public.

KTM has been able to work out all of the kinks of their EFI setup on the 'Bergs and the current 350 so I don't think that there will be any teething issues when they do come with it on the 450.

As for the legality, as long as they have the correct number of bikes imported (as to qualify for the production rule) then Dungey could race it. Then again, we all know that the AMA has bent over a little bit when it comes to the actual numbers of a bike in the States to qualify for homologation! It wouldn't be the first time that KTM has released a half year model. They did it with the XC-Ws a few years ago. You had a 2009, 2009 1/2, and a 2010.

KTM could (and would) "cobble" together a "frankenstein" bike they don't sell in numbers to the public. They do it every year with their rally-raid bikes.

KTM has been able to work out all of the kinks of their EFI setup on the 'Bergs and the current 350 so I don't think that there will be any teething issues when they do come with it on the 450.

As for the legality, as long as they have the correct number of bikes imported (as to qualify for the production rule) then Dungey could race it. Then again, we all know that the AMA has bent over a little bit when it comes to the actual numbers of a bike in the States to qualify for homologation! It wouldn't be the first time that KTM has released a half year model. They did it with the XC-Ws a few years ago. You had a 2009, 2009 1/2, and a 2010.

KTM could (and would) "cobble" together a "frankenstein" bike they don't sell in numbers to the public. They do it every year with their rally-raid bikes.

Agreed, KTM is capable of building a Frankenstein. The point I was making is the AMA won't let them run it unless they are selling it. KTM doesn't have the political clout with the AMA to get around that. They might have the clout to get the AMA to look pass the exact numbers.

Also, I agree KTM is capable of doing a 1/2 year model. I was just curious if they are going that way. Right now, I suspect they are at least considering it.