Sign in to follow this  

New Cylinder A or B with Wiseco piston 03 CR125

CR125R 2003 My current cylinder is junk, it is the A cylinder. I am going to buy a new cylinder and was wondering what would be better with a Wiseco Piston. Will the B cylinder still fit on? Are Wiseco Pistons universal per say and fit both A and B cylinders? I know its been asked a million times i just cant find the exact answer in my searches.

CR125R 2003 My current cylinder is junk, it is the A cylinder. I am going to buy a new cylinder and was wondering what would be better with a Wiseco Piston. Will the B cylinder still fit on? Are Wiseco Pistons universal per say and fit both A and B cylinders? I know its been asked a million times i just cant find the exact answer in my searches.

With your b-new cyl just get OEM piston!!!

@jparisi48, dirtracker and CamP are apparently huge fans of cast pistons and seem to discourage anyone from buying forged ones. (Check out the "after market pistons brands" thread.)

I bet if you send a PM to the Wiseco user here on TT you'll get the answer...

i already saw that and i have no opinion, idc which pistons they like i just know that some ppl on here know a thing or two more than me lol ill take the advice i like and ignore the stuff i dont. I am still going to get a wiseco but thanks for that apache site Camp they have good prices on oem parts:ride:

@jparisi48, dirtracker and CamP are apparently huge fans of cast pistons and seem to discourage anyone from buying forged ones. (Check out the "after market pistons brands" thread.)

I bet if you send a PM to the Wiseco user here on TT you'll get the answer...

I'm not a "huge fan of cast pistons". There is just a lot of misinformation about them here on Thumpertalk. I try to straiten that out when I see it.

If someone tends to ride their bikes into the ground, without giving any thought to when they should rebuild them, I would advise them to put a Wiseco forged piston in their bike because they can run past the service limits without breaking. That's their main benefit over cast in a 2-stroke application.

If someone else is more pro-active with the health of their engine and actually keeps track of service intervals, I would suggest OEM stuff. It's less expensive and it will last the same amount of time before it hits it's wear limits. For most people, that's usually 50-100 hours in a 250 and 25-50 hours in a 125.

BTW, whose advice do you think is less biased? A salesmen that uses TT as a marketing tool, or someone with absolutely no profit motive that just wants to give good advice to people. I'm not selling pistons.

I'm not a "huge fan of cast pistons". There is just a lot of misinformation about them here on Thumpertalk. I try to straiten that out when I see it.

If someone tends to ride their bikes into the ground, without giving any thought to when they should rebuild them, I would advise them to put a Wiseco forged piston in their bike because they can run past the service limits without breaking. That's their main benefit over cast in a 2-stroke application.

Then why bother with cast?

If someone else is more pro-active with the health of their engine and actually keeps track of service intervals, I would suggest OEM stuff. It's less expensive and it will last the same amount of time before it hits it's wear limits. For most people, that's usually 50-100 hours in a 250 and 25-50 hours in a 125.

That is really pushing IMHO, if you have any detonation that piston is toast. But no 2-stroke detonates so don't worry about it...:thumbsup:

BTW, whose advice do you think is less biased? A salesmen that uses TT as a marketing tool, or someone with absolutely no profit motive that just wants to give good advice to people. I'm not selling pistons.

What do you have against a company trying to protect its brand against libel on this site?

What do you have against a company trying to protect its brand against libel on this site?

Libel? When did I ever state anything that is untruthful about Wiseco pistons? I've gone on record that they are a good product and a good choice for certain individuals. Pointing out misleading posts made by Wiseco doesn't constitute libel.

Libel? When did I ever state anything that is untruthful about Wiseco pistons? I've gone on record that they are a good choice for certain individuals. Pointing out misleading posts made by Wiseco doesn't constitute libel.

I wasn't singling you out but there are folks who do it in almost every thread.

I wasn't singling you out but there are folks who do it in almost every thread.

2 strokenut I am already riding and changing 2 strokes top end before you were born I have more experience than you I had rebuilt a lot of engines gasoline, heavy duty diesel stationary & agricultural.

I have been to a lot of places outside the country were were 2 strokes motorcycles are being used as a workhorse for transportation at 90 degrees above temp.These small 125 & 155 2 strokes are being abused but they only used OEM no forged piston.We tried a lot of times forged but they wont hold these bikes dont have plated cylinders and they are air cooled!!!!

You must be a wiseco salesman dude!!!!!

thank you guys for blowing up my thread, still never got a straight answer but that apache site has some damn good prices on oem parts

Heehee, sorry man... (If I was the prosecution, I would be able to say, "I rest my case.")

Did you ever PM Wiseco?

I did, the piston I am getting is basically one size fits both cylinders, but I have to drills the holes myself if the piston doesnt come with them drilled. I was told from somone else that all of their pistons came with the holes already drilled so im praying they are, all my parts are ordered and just waiting to put this thing back together!:thumbsup: I am still wondering if it matters what cylinder I order, I ordered an A cylinder to be safe cuz thats what i have now but its on backorder, The B cylinder i could get sooner but idk if it would work

My 02 250 manual shows the B cyl being .0003" smaller than the A and the piston to cyl clearance being .0024 to .0029 stock with a service limit of .004". So i think you could use A or B no problem

It's not that big a deal to drill the holes. Assemble the piston on the rod and then put the cylinder on (don't use gaskets or clips or anything, you're just going to take it apart right away), then rotate the engine until the piston is down covering the exhaust port and use a pencil to draw lines on both sides of the bridge. Then it'll be easy to drill the holes, just stay between the lines...

FYI, cast pistons do not require drilling holes to keep them from seizing on the exhaust bridge.

FYI, cast pistons do not require drilling holes to keep them from seizing on the exhaust bridge.

hey did u get my PM? I asked about that apache site

I did, the piston I am getting is basically one size fits both cylinders, but I have to drills the holes myself if the piston doesnt come with them drilled. I was told from somone else that all of their pistons came with the holes already drilled so im praying they are, all my parts are ordered and just waiting to put this thing back together!:thumbsup: I am still wondering if it matters what cylinder I order, I ordered an A cylinder to be safe cuz thats what i have now but its on backorder, The B cylinder i could get sooner but idk if it would work

It would have worked with both the a or b cylinders. I have a 94 cr125 and the wiseco pistons are Identical from 92-03. All my piston kits have come pre drilled from Wiseco.

2 strokenut I am already riding and changing 2 strokes top end before you were born I have more experience than you I had rebuilt a lot of engines gasoline, heavy duty diesel stationary & agricultural.

I have been to a lot of places outside the country were were 2 strokes motorcycles are being used as a workhorse for transportation at 90 degrees above temp.These small 125 & 155 2 strokes are being abused but they only used OEM no forged piston.We tried a lot of times forged but they wont hold these bikes dont have plated cylinders and they are air cooled!!!!

You must be a wiseco salesman dude!!!!!

I reckon if I were I would sell more Wiseco pistons than you could sell OEM:thumbsup:

2235_dr_evil_right_thumb.jpg