Sign in to follow this  

08 sticky throttle while assembling! What do?

Hey guys, Im assembling my 450x after installing new piston & reconditioned cylinder head with SS valves & new springs ect...

I'm working from the Workshop manual & I'm up to fitting the carby back in. Ive just fitted the throttle cables & adjusted it.

2cbe8825.jpg

But the throttle seems to be sticky, like the spring is not strong enough to pull the throttle back shut after turning to full throttle. The WS manual says to put the cover on & continue, but its not rite....

I'm thinking of bringing home a can of contact cleaner & CRC tomorrow after work & give it & the cables a spray?

Got any other idea's for me in the next 24hrs when I continue the assembly?

:thumbsup:

Check your cable routing, they are very sensitive as to how they are routed and if done incorrectly they will drag enough to make the throttle stick.

Dont let the cables twist together keep them side by side with a zip tie every so often. There was a post about this a while back and the guy used some kind of cable saddle to keep the cables in parallel.

All the suggestions are good and need to be checked, however, there is one more thing to consider. No matter how clean, how well routed or how well lubed you get the cables, if you do not have the slack right in the cable lengths it will feel exactly like the sticking throttle. Try loosening at the throttle side tensioners and see if that helps. I had this same issue.

Cool, thanks guys for the idea's. i will give them a go!

Havnt had a chance to continue with it yet but hopefully It frees up. :thumbsup:

Check the cable routing as the chopper said also you didnt happen to fit a set of barkbusters at the same time they can bind on the throtle tube:thumbsup:

I've had the same issue and it pisses me off to no end. Compared to other bikes that SNAP back with a bite.. All the above are correct as far as troubleshooting..

One other thing to consider is in the picture if you pushed your finger up on the bottom cable there should be some slack. You can adjust the bottom cable and see if that helps the throttle snap back..

Your cables look like they have some rust on them might be a good time and cheap insurance just to upgrade to new cables..

I zip tied my cables together to make sure they don't switch and stay at the same length and that one does not have more tension on it compared to the other..

Also clean the throttle assembly sometimes there is a lot of grease and crud in there.

Also clean the bar and inside of the throttle tube. sometimes an aluminum will help

Thanks for the info guys!

I cleaned out the throttle assembly with CRC & sprayed the cables. & aligned the cables better. Now it springs back allot better.

Another couple things, Ive got the carby back it but am a bit lost with a couple little things. It doesn't say anything about plugging up all the carby hoses & it takes a while to work out where everything goes back.

Can anyone tell me where these go?

0c7916b9.jpg

fee62e71.jpg

I might work it out as I go further but just in case i dont, thought I'd ask....

Where Im up to:

6cd9120c.jpg

Ignore the Triumph logo, my feature wall. :p

:smirk:

Ohhh, I found the diagrams of where all the hoses go in the WS manual. 1-32.

But still havnt worked out where those couple things go...

Horray!! She Runs!!.... But still a couple bits & pieces i don't know where they go.... As in above posts.

The first picture attachs to one of the four screws that fastens the bowl to the carb and a vent hose slides threw the larger hole, the second picture goes inside the carb between the main jet and the carb body...I believe.

The first picture attachs to one of the four screws that fastens the bowl to the carb and a vent hose slides threw the larger hole, the second picture goes inside the carb between the main jet and the carb body...I believe.

:p Thank You!!!!

Yep that makes sense about the first photo, but the second one.... Inside the carby? Its a bit dirty, looks like it'd live somewhere outside the carby if its stained with dirt?

:smirk:

You're right it the same as the first pic just goes on the other side of the carb and has two vent lines.

Ohhhhh! Is THAT all!? Sweet, wont worry bout em then!

Thanks for that!!