free sag and fc lowering link 09 450R

Hi

im currently having problems on my 09 450r trying to set free sag within the right range specified in the manual which is 10-25mm

my specs are as follows

weight 180 with gear

front springs stock

rear spring racetech 5.2kg

if i set my race sag to 105 the free sag is 44mm. When i set my race sag to 95mm it is 33mm of free sag ( i needed a softer spring maybe)

My question is, will installing the fc or pro circuit lowering link lower the free sag number at all

cheers

Those numbers tell me your 5.2 isn't a 5.2.

It looks more like a 5.7 honestly.

Call a suspension shop near you and see if they can check the spring tension for you. They may trade the spring out for you and get you where you need to be.

when i had the stock 5.4 spring and set sag @ 100 free sag would be 55-56mm,

so the figure has come down a bit on the free sag with the new spring.

Will installing the fc link drop the free sag number at all

thanks for the reply

Hi

im currently having problems on my 09 450r trying to set free sag within the right range specified in the manual which is 10-25mm

my specs are as follows

weight 180 with gear

front springs stock

rear spring racetech 5.2kg

if i set my race sag to 105 the free sag is 44mm. When i set my race sag to 95mm it is 33mm of free sag ( i needed a softer spring maybe)

My question is, will installing the fc or pro circuit lowering link lower the free sag number at all

cheers

Shawn has it right get both springs check. Because at 180lbs you should be on a 5.5kg spring and .47kg in the forks.

Set your sag at 104mm and start there. The CRF's love sag and work best when you have 104mm-108mm of sag.

So with this RT 5.2kg spring what are the numbers for the following?

Unloaded Sag: (Bike on the stand)

Race Sag: (Where the sag is set when on the bike)

Free Sag: (Bike under its own load no rider or stand)

For the free sag you should be between 25mm-40mm

I would not take the Honda manual as the bible!

theDogger:thumbsup:

Edited by theDogger

This bike takes a little bit lighter spring than others and likes more sag too. If you get the link you can run a more normal sag number like 105. I don't think it will help your free sag issue but it will make the bike handle better.

Also I agree with dogger on what your free sag should be. If you can get it to 40 your good.

call Fc tell them your wt and they will guide you they have there spring rates down!! when i get my shock back the sag is perfect. they know from just setting the preload on the spring. and they will tell you not to worry about the free sag. its been working good for me for the last 3 years.

Try this:

Set the free sag to 40mm and then check your race sag fully geared up. See what you get.

Shawn has it right get both springs check. Because at 180lbs you should be on a 5.5kg spring and .47kg in the forks.

Set your sag at 104mm and start there. The CRF's love sag and work best when you have 104mm-108mm of sag.

So with this RT 5.2kg spring what are the numbers for the following?

Unloaded Sag: (Bike on the stand)

Race Sag: (Where the sag is set when on the bike)

Free Sag: (Bike under its own load no rider or stand)

For the free sag you should be between 25mm-40mm

I would not take the Honda manual as the bible!

theDogger:thumbsup:

Hey Dogger,

Thanks for the advice, i will try what Shawn is saying and and set free sag to 40mm and see what i get.

I know not everyone agrees with me here, but I had good luck running my rear shock with very light valving, the shock is very stiff in stock form. The stock forks springs might be a little light for you but the forks get much better once the shock valving is softened up a lot.

new settings @ 40mm free sag

unloaded 600mm

loaded with rider 497 = 103mm rider sag

loaded w/o rider 560 = 40mm free sag

ill try this and make adjustments if needed, I was more concerned really of the free sag number being on the high side.

I have received my lowering link and hoping after reading reports that this will settle the back end some more for me.

thanks

that free sag is fine. ride a moto and then try running a little more sag and see how you like it. those # look good the rest is up to rider prefrence.