2005 rmz timing marks

how do you tell if you are at t.d.c. on the compresion stroke and not the exhaust stroke??

The cams will point at 10 oclock and 2 oclock if it is timed correct. If it is the exaust stroke, they will NOT be pointed in those directions.

Buy a Manual and you won't even have to use the internet to find out stuff like this!

You could make a sheet with all information like this, and all this is found in your owners manual

Spark plug -----

Oil -----

Carb jets -----

etc etc

I only make the suggestion so that in the future you can have more riding time and less down time trying look stuff up or work on something that could have been avoided by reading the owners manual. ?

Only trying to help brother! ?

Yeah the Manual is the best. I rebuilt a box case with that manual. Well worth the investment. ................... ony problem I have with the internet is I get lost in the web and before I know it, three hours have past and I could have been working on my bike or RIDING!!!

You spend three hours on the internet without knowing, in stead of riding??? You better get to a shrink quick!!! There is something wrong with you!! My wife says there is something wrong with me too, because I ride too much!!!

ok so i did the cam chain adjust on the side of my bike for like the 100th time since i got it and then a couple hours later started it up and as soon as i de=id all kinds of gnarly nice came from cam and then i killed it tried to adjust again hoping it wasent to bad and then went to start a snap and then no copresion?

did my cam chain snap or?? ?

For the 100th time? when in gods name is the last time you replaced your cam chain 4 seasons ago?! from the sounds of it more then likely, pull your head and take a gander and asses your damage done, hopefully your top end is fine and didn't have any damage but I wouldn't count on it

I have done this before an feel stupid asking but this time was not thinking so I am setting timing on my friends 08 mz450 On the flywheel there is 2 marks. one machine groove and a yellow painted dot and on the case, plug hole a painted blue upper and yellow lower painted dot. when the yellow dots are lined up to groove in case piston is at tdc would this be intake or exhaust stroke.

Timing (intake or exhaust) is set by the cams not the flywheel. The motor doesn't know what stroke you are on and sparks every time the piston gets to just before top dead center. On the compression stroke it ignites the fuel mixture. On the exhaust stroke it ignites in the burnt fuel so it does nothing. Any paint marks on the flywheel may be from factory to help with assembly? Not exactly sure why they would be there.

10w40 synthetic race oil by Suzuki. I have an 05 rmz450 as well. We only need one oil since our tran and motor oil is all the same. You don't have to use synthetic, but I prefer to use the top products in my bike. Just make sure you use the oil that's made for both. No just a straight tran oil or motor oil...makes lofe easier with one though!