Sign in to follow this  

Burnt Headlight Bulb

Maybe just a coincedence or something to do with the new Ricky stator and Stelthy voltage regulator I installed about 300 miles ago. I'm running the full 200 watts (A/C no battery) through the regulator. My buddy said the light looked brighter then the stock stator setup so maybe to much voltage/wattage. When checked the max reading at the headlight was around 14 volts.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

why do you say burnt? is the bulb burned out? 14v is perfectly acceptable the regulators doing its job your no need to do anything you just have power on tap for other things. do you have anything else ran off it?

z

I was running just the one circuit with the stock reg but the blinkers were malfunctioning at idle. Then ordered the new regulator from Stealty and with 200w the blinkers work fine.

I though possibly the headlight filament was conditioned to the past lower wattage, with the additional power it overheated or something.:thumbsup:

I was running just the one circuit with the stock reg but the blinkers were malfunctioning at idle. Then ordered the new regulator from Stealty and with 200w the blinkers work fine.

I though possibly the headlight filament was conditioned to the past lower wattage, with the additional power it overheated or something.:thumbsup:

not a chance your only using available wattage if needed otherwise your regulator shunts it out to maintain the 14v.

shunt---- grounds out the extra power

As for your blinkers not working at idle thats understandable on a AC only regulated system as the stator does not put out enough voltage/watts to run at proper specs untill mid range RPM. its basically just a big generator the faster it turns the more power is available and at idle its barely enough to keep the lights as bright as a candle most times.

and if your blinkers are LED the require a certain voltage to operate and wont even turn on even dimly unlike the incandescent bulbs which just go dim like your headlight.

Also AC only power is hard on lights to begin with from the constant fluctuating current less so in the upper RPM ranges though.

for best results in that regard is a reg/rec to batt DC system.

z