Sign in to follow this  

Worth of 1984 XR250R ?

I have an 84 XR250R I bought back in '89. Was in perfect shape when I got it and I never had a bit of problem with it up until the time I stopped riding in 1995 (except the last ride I went on, the brake line broke and I never got around to replacing it). The problem is, the bike has sat for 16 yrs now in a tin storage shed, so I am basically selling it for parts as who knows what it might need to get it in running condition again (not that I tried to start it... I wouldn't do that without changing all the fluids, etc etc which I am not going to do). Anyone know what I should get? The bike is titled and registered with the DMV and always has been. (Has a PNO.)

Thanks for any advice.

Not sure of its worth as-is or parted out but I know there are some vintage collectors out there who would love to have that bike in decent condition. If the motor turns, it might just need a carb rebuild and some new gaskets & other parts here & there, best-case scenario. Tires are probably rotted & other dried/cracked bits. Wash it off and wipe it down, post it up somewhere and see what you can get for it intact.

I had an 84 that sat for about a dozen years, a heavy duty carb clean made it run like new. The carb cleaning is a PITA but doable.

If the bike has been stored inside the tires and plastic should be in good condition.

I paid $550 for it, and I think I got a good deal.

It's in pretty good shape. It had been sitting in a garage for 7 years when I got it, and had been owned by lady since new. The airbox was totally filled up with acorns and other mice leavin's, and the carb was gunked up inside, along with a bad intake manifold (the rubber was seperated from the aluminum part).

After fixing these problems, the bike runs great, like new. I was suprised the intake manifold was still available from Honda.

The original plastic is still in good shape with no fading, and it still has the original seat cover (and blue tool pouch on the rear fender), which is in good shape. The only thing it's missing is the original odometer, and the exhaust baffle, which makes it pretty loud.

If you end up parting your XR out, I'd like to claim dibs on it's odo and exhaust baffle...

Randy

It's in pretty good shape. It had been sitting in a garage for 7 years when I got it, and had been owned by lady since new. The airbox was totally filled up with acorns and other mice leavin's, and the carb was gunked up inside, along with a bad intake manifold (the rubber was seperated from the aluminum part).

After fixing these problems, the bike runs great, like new. I was suprised the intake manifold was still available from Honda.

The original plastic is still in good shape with no fading, and it still has the original seat cover (and blue tool pouch on the rear fender), which is in good shape. The only thing it's missing is the original odometer, and the exhaust baffle, which makes it pretty loud.

If you end up parting your XR out, I'd like to claim dibs on it's odo and exhaust baffle...

Randy

Baffles should still be available new. (are for my 85) If not you can use one from later bikes, just check the diameter.

The 1984-85 XR250s are not exactly the bikes that anyone is looking for. They were not very reliable. Ran too hot. Too revvy, Not enough oil flow internally. Bad about boiling the oil in the engine if running non synthetic oil. I have seen many with fried heads and cranks from running Castrol GTX. They are resonably reliable if you ride them easy and change the oil very very often.

Not sure of its worth as-is or parted out but I know there are some vintage collectors out there who would love to have that bike in decent condition. If the motor turns, it might just need a carb rebuild and some new gaskets & other parts here & there, best-case scenario. Tires are probably rotted & other dried/cracked bits. Wash it off and wipe it down, post it up somewhere and see what you can get for it intact.

Thanks. There is a local place that buys vintage bikes and will pick it up as is for free. He offered me $150 for it. Seems a little low...

@chuck4788: Your story makes me wanna add some gas and Seafoam and see what happens. :thumbsup: When done riding, I always turned off the petcock and ran it until it killed to starve the carbs. But I imagine those little jets are full of dust/corrosion/whatever now. It would be truly miraculous if it started.

The tires were nearly new when I stopped riding... I was surprised they don't appear to be damaged/cracked/whatever from sitting for so long, but I know the rubber has to be brittle as tires rely on heating up to activate compounds in the rubber that keep it supple. When tires sit, the rubber dries out.

@Dwight Not surprised few would be looking for a bike this old, but I can't say it ever ran hot or gave me a moment's problem. If I could ride now, I would, and this bike too. I would pay to have it refurbished. But circumstances won't allow me to dirt ride for now... have to be content with the Harley... :ride:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback...

Randy

Sounds like you found a good bike at a good deal. :thumbsup: About the odo and exhaust baffle, when I said I was selling the bike for parts, I meant "not running" ... meaning selling it intact to someone to use for parts or fix it as desired. Sorry I wasn't very clear. I don't have the time to part it out myself, and I was hoping someone would buy it to fix it up and use it.

Quite a few are looking for older bikes to run in vintage events. Any year XR200 is Post Vintage legal. The 1986 up XR250R are quite good after Honda put 2 oil pumps, single carb , torque cam and a oil cooler. I ran them for many years. Got 4 ISDE medals on them.