Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Coming back to 2-strokes, need more power for dunes

Guys,

I have been in the 4 stroke camp for the last 6 years, ready to have fun on a bike again. I have always liked Honda 2 strokes (My name reflects that I don't like their 4 strokes). Looking at getting an 05+ CR250. My question is I weigh around 250 #'s and will be riding this bike at the dunes a couple of times per year, what are the hot cheap tricks to get more power out of these motors? Is there a company that can set the squish on the head better? A big bore kit would be the last option, but what is available out there? Does Eric Gorr offer a kit for the CR's? Also does anyone have feedback from a bigbore kit? Let me know and thanks for your help. I'll be mixing gas and haulin a$$ before i know it!!

lose some weight :thumbsup:

Heehee! (I weigh about 240 myself. I'm 6'5" and semi-athletic, so I'm not going to be able to lose much...)

For dunes, I think you should skip the 250 and go right to a 500...

HA!! Yeah been trying to slim down, I'm also 6'5" and somewhat athletic, but still have a belly that could be lost. 500 is an option, but I only want 1 bike to maintain and I ride 90% singletrack in the mountains, where a 500 leaves a bit to be desired, any other suggestions??

06 YZ250 still a current bike, 06 to 11 no significant changes.

Very powerful (46hp) engine with smooth delivery, pulls hard in 3rd gear up steep hills from tick over.

Good reviews:

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2009-Yamaha-YZ250-TwoStroke-Suspension-Settings-Je-6203.aspx

I am biased cos I got mine last month, it is insanely quick, be suprised if you wanted more speed/ power.

Ah, didn't realize you wanted one bike to ride everywhere, thought it was just going to be for the dunes...

I don't think you can go wrong with a CR250, anywhere from 2000-2007. The 2000 and 2001 have a reputation for a stronger engine, and the 02-07 have better frames/suspensions. I have a VForce on my 07 along with a PC pipe and a bigger rear sprocket and it's great on trails and the track. Never had it at the dunes though.

Eric has a 265 kit for the CR, and RB Designs seems to be the guy to go to for squish band stuff...

At your weight, and for the type of riding you do, a CR250 may not be the best choice. If I was in your shoes, I would look for a YZ, KX or RM because they can inexpensively be bored out to 300cc.

A CR500 is a MAN'S version of a ST bike. They require a bit more throttle control though. I never ridden dunes but I have ridden plenty of sand MX. I was at southwick 2 weeks ago on my 2000 CR250 and was really missing the 500.

get an older cr that a trx cylinder will fit on, then bore and stroke it out to 400+ cc.

HA!! Yeah been trying to slim down, I'm also 6'5" and somewhat athletic, but still have a belly that could be lost. 500 is an option, but I only want 1 bike to maintain and I ride 90% singletrack in the mountains, where a 500 leaves a bit to be desired, any other suggestions??

I'm 6'3 and around 16 stone (225 lbs) atm, but it's easier for me to lose weight than spend extra cash on my bike for now!

At 6'5" you will probably never be a feather weight so 250's might not be enough. I am only 5'9" but I am into weight training (body building) and I weigh anywhere from 210ish-240ish depending on bulking season or pool season. I took my YZ250 (which is known for it good motor) to the dunes with 2 of my 500's on one trip. The 250 got parked for all 4 days after about 10 miles in the sand. I had to have it rung out to go thru the sand like the 500's do with EASE!!!! Maintenance on my 500's... what maintenance...? on my 500's doing single track all I ever need to do is swap out the top end every 3 years or so. They make so much power at such low RPM's that they rarely need to be wound out so they last a long time. My 250's are needing a rebuild within a year, no question! I dont know about the single track in UT but the 500's do great for me in AZ. So much torque off idle and they weigh close to what a 250 weighs. I have a standard type clutch on my duner and autoclutches for the other bikes. My 500 with the Revloc is my favorite single track bike ever. Great torque with great traction...

At your weight, and for the type of riding you do, a CR250 may not be the best choice. If I was in your shoes, I would look for a YZ, KX or RM because they can inexpensively be bored out to 300cc.

I am honestly thinking about a 300 also. The 500's are great but they do vibrate a lil but more importantly, don't rev very high (just a FUN factor for me). I sold my YZ250 and I am kicking myself! I wish I would have tried the EG295 first. Well Im now finishing an 06 CRF250 with an 01 CR250 engine in it cuz I miss wringing out the throttle once in a while. At my weight, even 210lbs I can not keep up with my lighter buddies and I am wishing for more when I am on a 250 2t. I think a 300 (or more) kit will be a game changer.

If I was to limit myself to one bike at this point, it would be a well set up CR500AF without a doubt. I cannot speak about the 300 2t's because I don't know anyone with one so I have never really ridden one... only putted around on a couple of them. It may be better than my 500 for my riding style for all I know... But I will say that at my weight, I will never have another 250 as my only bike.

I am 230 lbs and have ridden some of UT single (mostly west of Tooele) and live in western WA where the ST is tight, steep, rooty and rocky. I have been riding my aluminum frame 500 for 4 years now in this stuff with an occasional visit to UT. I chose the 2003 CR125 frame for the steep rake and razor handling it offers. All decked out with Rekulse, Scotts stab, properly tuned susp and decent cooling, it is a dream to ride. I would not trade it for my anything. I have ridden the infamous orange 300's even with Rekluse.

Like it was mentioned before, you are not trying to keep the 500 on the pipe all the time in the ST, with the auto clutch you can chug around and not stall but still have gobs when you do want it. I find it the best all-around bike I have ever ridden.

I think you may be a bit let down in the dunes with a 250, even a BB. But a BB 250 in the ST would be a fun bike though....

2108090640051373056S600x600Q85.jpg

Guys, Thanks for all of the advise/opinions. I have debated doing a 500AF for every year for that last 5 years. Are they really that manageable in the woods? I have only ridden them at the dunes and on an open gravel road. At the dunes there is no other experience like it, so much power and grunt. The gravel road the thing just wanted to spin the back tire and violate me if I didn't respect every second. Granted this was a worked over 500 in both instances.

I've had six 250 2 Strokes that i would ride at the dunes, and yes I was always looking for more power, might as well tape the throttle wide open for the weekend. Did you 500AF guys build the bike yourselves or buy it from Service?

I guess the right answer is to have 4 or 5 bikes, one for every place I ride.... wonder what the wife would think of that!!?!?!?

I guess the right answer is to have 4 or 5 bikes, one for every place I ride.... wonder what the wife would think of that!!?!?!?

Heehee! Well, you could do what I did and get the wife hooked on riding.. :thumbsup:

Here she is:

4352804712_d74e5b0813_z.jpg?zz=1

The gravel road the thing just wanted to spin the back tire and violate me if I didn't respect every second.

True that!!

Did you 500AF guys build the bike yourselves or buy it from Service?

I built mine, the frame mods (extensive on the 125) was done by someone else, billet "Y" and re-heat treated.

Build Thread

i just got back from the dunes with my 500 yesterday and all i can say is if you are still craving more adrenaline go buy a 600hp sandrail or somethin. i can lug my 500 around a corner in 2nd twist the throttle and hold on for dear life in a wheelie the things are monsters. It has incredible power down low as if it were a 4 stroke. however it does feel like an old bike ergonomics wise because it is but the suspension can be dialed in to suit your needs.

All in all a 500 is the ultimate dunes bike

a 500 with a stock jug and the right pipe is sweet. They will lug down and pull nasty slipery terrain like a 450X. With a cr250 ignition on them they have less flywheel weight and handle quite a bit better in the corners as well.

A 500 is 4 or 5 bikes. do it all bike really.

DIY or Service? depends on how much $$ you have and if you want a NEW bike. Personally I can build a significantly nicer skoot than a service honda for 1/2 the $$ so that's what I'm into.

Guys, Thanks for all of the advise/opinions. I have debated doing a 500AF for every year for that last 5 years. Are they really that manageable in the woods? I have only ridden them at the dunes and on an open gravel road. At the dunes there is no other experience like it, so much power and grunt. The gravel road the thing just wanted to spin the back tire and violate me if I didn't respect every second. Granted this was a worked over 500 in both instances.

I have ridden my bikes in the Northern AZ woods and find them manageable as long as you respect the throttle. My Duner is all set up for top end but is still decent in the woods due to the fact that it has so much torque. Granted I have to work the throttle and clutch a lot but it still did fine. Although AZ woods are not that tight. My 91 with a Gnarly pipe, 38 PWK AS, FWW, low end porting and auto-clutch is great in woods and rocky single track stuff. Tons of off-idle grunt (more than my 450X) and it starts earlier, lugs better and is lighter. My 91 has a Revloc Auto clutch and my 450X has a Rekluse. My X gets great traction without any effort, the 500 takes slightly more concentration. But it will lug way better than the X down low and and doesn't die with sudden throttle changes at low RPM's (yes its jetted correctly).

I've had six 250 2 Strokes that i would ride at the dunes, and yes I was always looking for more power, might as well tape the throttle wide open for the weekend. Did you 500AF guys build the bike yourselves or buy it from Service?

At 200+lbs I don't want to ride anything other than my 500's in the dunes. I will be doing most of the work on my AF (other than the welding). I have nothing against SH but I cannot justify paying that kind of money and then getting the bike and still having to spend more making it the way I want it. I can build one bitchen bike if I do my own conversion and give myself a budget of $12k. I would buy a well setup SH if it was for the right price, but they are always expensive.

Like I stated in my earlier post, if I was to limit myself to a single bike, it would be a 500AF. The reason that I say that is because the 500 is like having more than 1 bike. It can lug and crawl like thumper, but rip your arms if you wanna ride it on the pipe. Pipe changes are very noticeable on them also and make the bike feel like 2 different machines. Gnarly pipes give them awesome low end, PC lets them rip better up top and OEM is right in the middle. With an AF you get handling close to a 250 2t. Reliability that I would put against any 2t and almost any 4t (XR's and DR-Z 400's being the exception. Low maintenance costs (no power valve, top ends last a long time and build to handle the power).