Sign in to follow this  

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry another wheelie thread kind of. When I try and clutch up I find that the bike lunges/lurches forward but the tire does not come up. Do I need to give it more gas? I have searched alot but could not find an answer to this specific question. Do you WOT when you clutch it up?

Thanks

I am just starting to learn to wheelie too. Do you have a SM, S or e?

I have a SM with stock gearing and no mods and can easily get it up in first if i take off aggressively (with clutch of course).

I have also gotten it up in second, just short change into second, be in lowish rpm's, clutch it, give it gas, clutch out, hope for the best lol!

As you can tell i am by no means a wheelie expert, just do it in stages in second with low rpm's. Start out with a little bit of throttle when you dump the clutch, and gradually increase it to control your height.

Least thats what this noob does, will be looking forward to what the pro's say though as i wanna learn to wheelie better.

i just typed up like a page to try to help you out and then my computer froze. AHAHAHAHAH!!! not doing it all over again.

just try to start your wheelie in 1st gear and lean back a little and slam the gas. do them in 1st untill you can get it up every time and then try shifting in the wheelie. i dont use a clutch for 1st and 2nd gear wheelies and ive never tryed to bring her up in 3rd. dont know if this bike will. just get her up in a low gear and shift through you gears with no clutch while you are in the wheelie and you will soon find the balancing point and not need to shift any more. and keep you foot over the back break. i used to forget to do this all the time until i almost went over, then i magicaly found the back break. practice practice....most any bike can wheelie. we used to do it on 50cc dirtbikes and scooters at 14 15 years old. just need to practice. O! and scooting back on the seat a few inches and leaning back helps a lot too.

There's a whole thread on how to wheelie the DRZ over at supermotojunkie.....might what to check it out, got lots of good helpful tips in it.

Cover the rear brake, dump the throttle when your just above idle speed and your off. If you try a bury the throttle from a closed position the bike lugs. The key is to get a feel for the throttle position before you wack it.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?20094-can-anyone-wheelie-their-DRZ400sm

Edited by 707drz
added link

Depends on your speed and what gear your in. Not getting it up...try adding a little more rpm before you dump the clutch. Keep raising the RPMs in increments until you ge the desire effect.

As I said...speed and what gear your in...as well as your sprocket ratio all come into play.

I have been able to get a stock bike with 3x3 and exhaust to lift straight up in 3rd gear at 35 MPH...requires a good amount of RPM when you dump the clutch.

Experiment....use small changes until you get the hang of it. Cover the rear brake with your foot...so you can chicken out if you get scared. You will probably eventually loop the bike if you are going to get serious about wheelies...it just comes with the learning process...so be prepared for it.

best scenario for me is second gear , 20 mph, slide to the rear of the seat, tack her out and pop the clutch (quickly, free rev the engine as little as possible, it likes to be under a load) then as she lifts ease of the throttle slightly till you learn the balance point of the bike with you on it. the further back you are on the seat, the lower the front wheel will be at the balancing point. get up on the tank and it will take more throttle and control and the front wheel will have to be higher to stay up. watch some videos of drz wheelies. pay attention to the rpm sound as they clutch up. it has to do with cordination and control. its dangerous so gear up. ride wheelies at your own risk.

Depends on your speed and what gear your in. Not getting it up...try adding a little more rpm before you dump the clutch. Keep raising the RPMs in increments until you ge the desire effect.

As I said...speed and what gear your in...as well as your sprocket ratio all come into play.

I have been able to get a stock bike with 3x3 and exhaust to lift straight up in 3rd gear at 35 MPH...requires a good amount of RPM when you dump the clutch.

^ This

Deezer is a pretty easy bike to wheelie, so it's just a matter of getting the hang of it and before you know it, you're off and running.

Lean back, gas it, and pop the clutch, & the wheel will come up. If it doesnt, then give it more gas. And by popping the clutch I mean, just let it go, dont ease it out like you are taking off. Lean, gas, pop...And then if you dont do it right you can, roll around, wipe off the blood, straighten out the bars, cry over the scratches on the plastic, and do it all over again. Have fun...

Practice goinG up hill. U hit balance point easier and less scary.

What most of what they said..^...and also try it with a low fuel load ....

Get some serious mods going and you will be asking how to stop the front from lifting...:thumbsup: