maintenance on a 250f

I think i want a 250f just for trail rides... wut would the maintenance be on it ?

way more work than it's worth "just for trail rides".

honestly if i was just looking for something to motor around with on the occasional trail ride, i'd look into an older 4 stroke like an xr 250 or 400 or a drz400. or a 2 stroke.

Yeah,imho a 250F is not worth it for just romping around on.The work and maint. is intensive,valves,oil changes,filters etc.An XR is bombproof though,these are gas and go bikes.

This question has been asked only about a gazillion times.

You could just ride it and when it breaks come on here and make a thread that has a title like this...

"Bike won't start..HELP HELP HELP"

Cause no one, I MEAN, no one looks at a thread without the words HELP in the topic line. Just for giggles put "Going Pro" in there too!

Now for a freebie. Maintenance is lined out for you in the manual. However, it is a little overkill. The maintenance is air filter (every good ride) and well the rest is different for everyone. WHY? That's cause we all think our maintenance schedule is better than (indirectly) yours or the other guys.

This is for ALL strokes IF ITS

Dirty = Clean it

Loose = Tighten it

Sounding strange = Check it

Broken = Repair or replace it

Don't run = See above

yeah,imho a 250f is not worth it for just romping around on.the work and maint. Is intensive,valves,oil changes,filters etc.an xr is bombproof though,these are gas and go bikes.

not true at all.

way more work than it's worth "just for trail rides".

honestly if i was just looking for something to motor around with on the occasional trail ride, i'd look into an older 4 stroke like an xr 250 or 400 or a drz400. or a 2 stroke.

another 4t's suck guy

If you are going to trail ride, do not buy a mx bike. They are designed to be raced, not not fun screw around machines. Buy a trail bike.

Way too may guys go out, get a killer MX bike to plonk on. I have a WR250F and it is still way more bike than I should of bought. I am just a plonker theese days. Being realistic and honest is important. Pretty much everything Bent said is accurate too.

A race bike will last a lot longer lugging around on a trail than it will bouncing off the rev limiter on the track.

I ride a 250f on trails and I love it.

My friend just picked up a XR250 though and it's pretty nice. It is probably "technically" a better trail bike, but I'd take my yz250f any day.

ive had 3 250f race bikes overheat and act up on me for trail riding. they need air to cool them (who knew) and trail riding wasnt enough speed for them to cool.

Id agree in look at the older XRs or CRF trail bikes but id really look at a 2 stroke. KDX would be at the top of my list if i didnt go for a KTM specific one...or a 250 2st.

there are a few things you can do to make a 250f a good trail bike. First is larger rads and a overflow. if you get a newer bike with efi you can also have it tuned down a notch to put less stress on the engine. overall maintainence is very little to pay for what the newer bikes can do. I had a XR and the suspension on them at speed is terrible at best. but if you are only riding tight slow trails, i would definately look into a CRF 230 or TTR 230 as they are great for slow tight trails.:thumbsup:

what about an older 250f like 04 05 ?

Same, only older. They have not changed a whole lot.

I vote CRF230F! :thumbsup:

I have a 02 yz 250f i bought in may and all I do is trail ride. I am not very skilled and it is way easier to ride and control than my old 2t . I also don't ride the piss out of my bike like an MXer would so I think that will be a determining factor as far as engine wear.

The bikes suspension was worked on by Pro-Action and is very plush and works well in the woods.

I could not be happier

I change my oil, clean my air filter, wash it, check for loose stuff and call it a day.

My 02 has all original motor parts except the 03 auto decompression cam

Edited by snoboarder11592

if i were you i wouldn't get a mx bike for trails unless you are fast, it will overheat fast if you go slow, basically the same for all bikes that are liquid cooled.

these people that think 250f's are high maintenance are doing something wrong. I have a 2009 yz250f. It goes in for a service about four times a year to have oil changes, chain tension and stuff like that. If you are prepared to spend the money to have a professional service done on them then you would never have to touch them, especially if you are only trail riding it. All we do is check the tire pressure and keep it clean after rides, and oil the chain like you have to do on every ride. They are great fun trail riding and even better on an mx track.

these people that think 250f's are high maintenance are doing something wrong. I have a 2009 yz250f. It goes in for a service about four times a year to have oil changes, chain tension and stuff like that. If you are prepared to spend the money to have a professional service done on them then you would never have to touch them, especially if you are only trail riding it. All we do is check the tire pressure and keep it clean after rides, and oil the chain like you have to do on every ride. They are great fun trail riding and even better on an mx track.

are you on drugs mate? been smoking some happy weed? you get it serviced 4 times a year by your mechanic? so any idea on how many hours? dont even tension the chain yourself, if your only having the chain tensioned 4 times a year that indicated to me around 25-30 engine hours a year, 250F's no matter how you try to sugar coat it are maintenance intensive bikes, period.

my experience, with an 09 KX250F, 156 hours, A grade enduro and B grade MX i had to replace the valves at 38, 74 and 104 hours, replaced the piston at 50 and 100 hours (so yes in the first 104 hours i had to pull the head off 5 times), each time the piston was worn out of spec, 250F's are reliable if everything is replaced when it's needed, but they need parts replaced fairly regularly.

A race bike will last a lot longer lugging around on a trail than it will bouncing off the rev limiter on the track.

I ride a 250f on trails and I love it.

My friend just picked up a XR250 though and it's pretty nice. It is probably "technically" a better trail bike, but I'd take my yz250f any day.

What he said. :thumbsup:

I have had ZERO troubles with mine on absolute tight goat trails. No overheating either. Jetting helps. Turning off motor during any trail break too.

Perponderance of evidence supports that the YZ250F is a trouble-free bike compared to others.

4 times a year? Didnt you just get your bike 4 months ago :thumbsup:

What he said. :thumbsup:

I have had ZERO troubles with mine on absolute tight goat trails. No overheating either. Jetting helps. Turning off motor during any trail break too.

Perponderance of evidence supports that the YZ250F is a trouble-free bike compared to others.

That's a good point about turning it off when taking breaks. It helps if your bike starts one kick, too. If we get clogged up on the trail, or stop and chat or rest, I'll shut it off. Then when it's time to go, I'll pull the hot start, give it a kick and be off!

If I'm coasting down a long hill, I'll pull the clutch and let it idle but I'll blip the throttle every once in a while to get all the pumps running fast again for a second.

And as said above, if it's broken or worn replace it! Loose, tighten it! Dirty, clean it! ANY kind of equipment will treat you as well as you treat it.