do u really need an aftermarket skid plate?

has any body had any damage to their bike caused by the stock ski plate not providing enough protection? and vise versa has anyone's stock skid plate saved there motor from serios damage??:thumbsup:

I'm guessing that many people have benefited from having an aftermarket skid plate. I'm also guessing that many people have damaged their bike because they didn't have a skid plate.

just curious, there is one on the bike, seems to me that u would need quite the impact, our a wreck to pierce the plate and motor, i'm probably wrong but would love to hear some stories of the factory plate failing, I don't use the bike for motor cross just some semi agressive trail riding, mud riding

Keep in mind that oem plate gives no protection to the frame......the gaps between the engine case and frame are exposed and can catch a rock or anything else that wants to find it's way through the case. Not saying this happens all the time but if you ride off road then yes....get a good quality skid Plate

If you ride offroad then yes. A friend of mine dropped her drz without a skidplate in some rocks, and the water pump cover cracked and coolant came gushing out. Luckily we were on a mountain and she could coast down while somebody went and retrieved a truck. The funny part is that the previous owner gave her a spare water pump cover that had been repaired from the exact same type of crash because there was no skidplate on the bike. Aftermarket skidplates have a little wing that protects the water pump. Highly recommended if you ride offroad.

I definitely consider a skid plate mandatory equipment on all of my bikes.

Set my old '90 KLR250 down hard on the frame and that was pretty much the end of that bike. Huge frame dent and caved the stock plate almost into the bottom of the motor. It ended up as a parts bike for my wife's '05 and went with it when I sold all the KLR stuff to a friend.

So, if you ride off-road... Expect the unexpected and get a plate. Stuff happens. :thumbsup:

I remember a solid, but not worrysome hit to my skid plate a few weeks ago, I was doing a check on the bike recently and noticed a sizeable dent in the plate... I am glad the plate was there!

So what is the most popular skid plate and why?

Skid plates are mandatory on my bikes too! I wouldn't ride offroad without one! I bought the thumpertalk ones and like them. Had a fall on my DRZ on some rocks... Would have lost the water pump cover if it wasn't for that skid plate. Plus the skid plate has big gashes all over the bottom of it.

A while back when I had my kx 125 I was on a mx track when a rock kicked up from the front tire and put a nickle sized hole in my side cover and clutch cover. It hit right where the gasket is.

thank for sharing your expieriences, looks like I'll need to purchase a skid plate, seems as though a bike built for off road use should come with what it needs to saftley ride off road, that would make make way to much sense!!! :thumbsup: thanks again

no you dont

no????

So what is the most popular skid plate and why?

tonns is a favorite, TT's, scorpion racing, and my favorite the hyde.

no you dont

um, yep you do, cheap insurance imo, and a "must do mod" for offroading.

I'l post a pic of what mine looks like after 10,000 klms of off roading.

Def a necessity. It had some quite deep gOuges and a few dents. And the frame and cases are still perfect.

I run a B&B bashplate.

seems as though a bike built for off road use should come with what it needs to saftley ride off road, that would make make way to much sense!!! :thumbsup:

No kidding. The bike also needs Bark Busters as well as you can see from my thread about my one single off road fall where the clutch level instantly snapped clean off.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=993176

Some "off-road" bike.

If you ride offroad then yes. A friend of mine dropped her drz without a skidplate in some rocks, and the water pump cover cracked and coolant came gushing out. Luckily we were on a mountain and she could coast down while somebody went and retrieved a truck. The funny part is that the previous owner gave her a spare water pump cover that had been repaired from the exact same type of crash because there was no skidplate on the bike. Aftermarket skidplates have a little wing that protects the water pump. Highly recommended if you ride offroad.

Same thing happened to me :thumbsup: Now I have a Ricochet plate that helps protect the water pump cover.

I have a DRC? skid plate on my sm that barely goes off road. cheap insurance. think it was around $80 from wheeling cycle supply. on or off road it gives better protection than the OEM plate. GET ONE!!

No skid plate led to this:

case-broke.jpg

Which led to this:

piston-2.jpg

fred88

Shortly after I got my bike I went for a ride on a 4WD road. I had the worthless factory skid plate on it, as I didn't have the time or money to order and install an aftermarket skid plate. Talk about a big mistake, mind you that this was a road and not even a single track trail. A rock got kicked up by my front tire and I felt it hit the bike. I rode for another mile or so uphill, I got off the bike and there was a large hole in the bottom of my stator cover that was steadily dripping oil. Luckily I was able to coast downhill quite a distance and then my buddy towed me out with a tow strap. The skid plate I have now would have prevented that rock from hitting my cover. A good skid plate is a lot cheaper than a new stator cover.