1990 cr 250 project= woods weapon

hey guys picking up a cr 250 this coming friday and let me give you the rundown:

bike is in custody of a kid my age the kid bought it needing a crank and top end tore it apart has everything in boxes seperated never did anything with it selling me it for 150 bucks to get his 05 running. @ 150 bucks i think this is almost a steal heres what i have planned

1.new crank (cant find one on ebay)

2. new top end (found one on ebay but seems extremley expensive)

3.suspension revalve/ newer model fork swap?

4.peak replica plastic graphics or if it will work a cr500 tank and shrouds 91-01 has anyone done this?

5. bike needs a pipe the only one fmf offers is the gnarly would the pro circuit be better for this year?

6.bike has the stock silencer id like to replace it with the cr 500 powercore 2 can this be done? ive used a cr 250 silencer on a 500af before and it was fine can it be done vice versa?

7. i saw a 90 on craigslist a while back and it had a headlight setup with a big round battery on the side of the bike? i dont think a light coil is available for this bike which can i retro fit?

thank you guys

did you get the bike for free?

The parts are gonna be so expensive your up into the newer bikes, or even yz250 prices, you can not get cranks, even from wiesco, you have to buy a rod rebuild kit and have a machine shop fit it for you. Pistons are almost 200 $ for that bike

those early upside down forks sucked imo

Can not wait too see some pics of the project man. Im sorry but I can not help you on your questions.

yeah i am looking into a swap to a newer model fork i had a 97 cr 250 loved the suspension i may retro fit it. and as far as a crank there must be one some freakin where and i think 150 is a deal

did you get the bike for free?

The parts are gonna be so expensive your up into the newer bikes, or even yz250 prices, you can not get cranks, even from wiesco, you have to buy a rod rebuild kit and have a machine shop fit it for you. Pistons are almost 200 $ for that bike

umm no, the pistons are no more expensive than any other 250 2t. Its actually kind of funny you said that because it takes the exact same piston as a 99-11 yz 250. You cannot get cranks but rebuilding the oem one is the best option anyway.

if you are using it for woods i would consider swapping to conventional forks.

i have a really good article in one of my dirt rider back issues about conventional fork swaps on steel framed hondas. they were sleeving the stock triple clamps i believe.

I did the fork swap on my 1990 CR250.

Used the complete fork and triple tree from a '03 CR250. (Mostly to get that factory fork look for my Peak project)

Ordered new steering head bearings from All Balls

Clean and simple swap.

Don't let MegaDetTH scare you off from your project! :thumbsup: