'04 klx300r sloppy shift lever

Bought this bike used in 08 in mint condition. The shift lever splines aren't tight against each other so there is play, up and down, before they grab. Is there any way to address this with existing parts or a way to know that a replacement part will be any different?

Have you tried tightening them?

Have you tried tightening them?
I took the lever off again and find I misunderstood the construction. The splines on the lever are designed to be tightened around the shaft splines and the inserts on lever for the tightening screw do close on the splines but when all the play is used up the lever is still loose. It's been this way since I got the bike. There's no obvious wear on the shaft or lever splines so I'll be taking a chance to buy a replacement part, which may or may not close far enough to keep the lever tight on the shaft. Edited by charlie davidson

Here's what to do. Remove lever and clamp it into a vise so the gap where it tightens is closed. Then use a hack saw or dremel tool and cut thru right on the seam. This will create a bigger gap for the lever to tighten down.

Here's what to do. Remove lever and clamp it into a vise so the gap where it tightens is closed. Then use a hack saw or dremel tool and cut thru right on the seam. This will create a bigger gap for the lever to tighten down.
Thanks, worth a try if i can find a blade wide enough to get that done. Hmm, I might be able to press the sides together in a vice to get more to saw on. Should work. I'll come back and report results.

I put the shift lever in a vice and squeezed the open ends together and used a hack saw to machine the inside faces and removed a noticable amount of material. Back on the shaft I tightened the screw to a point where I worried about breaking the head off the bolt and the open ends were still not touching. The shifter had a bit less play but was still sloppy on the shaft.

Charlie, I've had this problem in the past on another bike and it was with a steel shift lever. When I switched to an aluminum lever, it fixed the problem. McD had the right idea. You may have to heat the splines on the shifter and squeeze it together some in a vice, or once it's cooled, then use the saw on the gap area again so it will clamp more. If you run it like it is, it may ruin the splines on the shift shaft. Better inspect it now to see if its damaged. Another way to approach it is to take a feeler gauge and cut a small sliver off it and wedge it in between the shifter and shaft while driving the shifter onto the shaft. Then tighten the bolt down. Even that may be temporary and can damage both splines. Good luck.

Better check again more thoroughly. The splines in the shifter could already be worn that a replacement is needed. Or more worse the shift shaft could be worn too. Get a new shifter and try that first, if still sloppy a new shift shaft is in order.... ebay but new might be better

I did this and it produced an interesting result. Notice in the photo how the bolt (stock original) is sticking above the shift lever. That's because the metal wraping around the shift shaft as literally stretching over time. About every 5 days the shift lever gets loose. I thighten about 1/3 of a turn and everything is fine again for some days. Repeating that has produced what's in the photo. Is there an after market shift lever with perhaps a bit harder metal in the lever?

PICT0413.JPG

It sounds like the splines in the lever wore down while it was sloppy. If the splines on the shaft still look good, get a new shift lever. Don't worry about trying to get one of harder material. It's better to have the lever soft and bend than to do damage to the shaft. With a new lever, be sure there is at least a small gap when tight.

Ride on

Brewster