Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke brand

currently own a kx265 that I have spent a lot of money in upgrades so far but have been considering a 4 stroke 450.I can't afford a new one but was wondering of all the major brands witch one has the less engine problems.I know its more maintenance then manufacturing but also know some makes are simply made better.I hear bad stories of the honda valves and good of the yamaha but what about the rest?

What is the dealer network where you are. A great bike in need of TLC but a bad dealer, no parts and no qualified mechanic is worse than a trouble prone bike with a great dealer, plenty of parts and a terrific mechanic. Be practical and not romantic or swept up by the popular opinion of your buddies. Think.

Go shopping. Pick out what you like. Ignore the brand. All the majors are good bikes or else the would not have the following they do. But now that you mention it I like.... J/K.

Edited by William1
To remove stupidity, my forte

currently own a kx265 that I have spent a lot of money in upgrades

maybe not an 85 but a 250 bored out lol?

My bad, I thought I saw 'Kx85".

Wait till you get old and your eyes screw with you. Then the new breed of younguns' will harass your old butt! :thumbsup:

I edited my post to make it make more sense.

I agree....pick what you like. Each brand (or color) have had their share of problems through the years and to come. 9 times out of 10 the ones that try to point you into this bike is only because thats what they ride. There are some thing I like about Yamaha but there are other thing I like about KTM's. Nothing wrong with the Kaw's and I love the turning abiliy of Suzuki as well as their engine. I'm not much of a honda guy but I don't dis-like them either....

Honda,kawi & yamaha all have dealers here,the honda guys I am more familiar with and they give me a discount on parts.Whatever I can get for my kawi through their dealer i get from them.That being said I usually do all my own work,I haven't worked on modern 4 stroke racers but I have experience with fourstoke dirtbikes,workings are the same.I'm not affraid to tackle any of their problems but tools limit any headwork I can do which is where I want to have the most reliabe parts.That is why I am reluctant on hondas as from the stories I hear.Yamies seem to last longer,and I'm not a flat out racer but I do like the feel of the power.I figgure a 450 wouldn't need to be revved to the max as much and it would live longer.I love the kawi in the pits but on trail rides its just to peaky and jetting is allways an issue I was looking at the 4 stroke to have a more controllable power ban.Forget recommending I get an XR or equilivent type bike as thats not happening,I like the power but am not a fast rider.with that all said I would probably buy the yamaha due to what I hear but I really like the kawi's and honda headwork seems more frequent.How many ppl here have gone from 2 stroke to 4 and loved the difference?

The kawi being peaky is not true, nor is the jetting problems. All bikes have jetting issues as they are mostly designed for all out racers, not the casual rider that is 99.999% of the ownership. The guys with kawi's that have running issues often only have themselves to blame. It is true Hondas seem to of had valve issues. Not sure if that is still the case.

All the MX versions of the big four run very similarly and unless you are an A class racer, are equal. They are not trail bikes. All the big four do make woods bikes but still, they are not designed for trail plonking. They are still race bikes.

I strongly suggest not turning this into another 2S Vs. 4S thread. Those appear every week and about 98% of what is said is misinformation and total BS. I suggest you ride both and decde which you like better, not what others tell you is better.

I have been playing with the jetting on this bike ever since I had it,Most of the time its because of hardware changes but now that I have just about everything changed I notice the temps really affect the jetting alot.The temps here swing wildly sometimes and with all the other 4 strokes I had jetting seem more forgiving but they weren't race bikes.I have tried a ktm450 and didn't really like the bike,just felt boring and my bike(even b4 the 265kit)had more getup and go.Mybe I'm just bored with the bike and wanting something different,I find that happens when I run out of things to do with any of my toys.this has been the longest I have kept a bike yet so that says alot about the 2 strokes,its never boring riding a 2 stroke.Maybe I'll just keep it and work towards having 2 bikes

currently own a kx265 that I have spent a lot of money in upgrades so far but have been considering a 4 stroke 450.I can't afford a new one but was wondering of all the major brands witch one has the less engine problems.I know its more maintenance then manufacturing but also know some makes are simply made better.I hear bad stories of the honda valves and good of the yamaha but what about the rest?

moto... go with the big 4,

trail,enduro go with ktm,husaberg,beta

which brand? as per Williams advice