2006 CRF450R Clutch Basket wobble

I have a 2006 CRF450R. I purchased it about 4 months ago and have ridden it a dozen or so times. The last time I rode I punched a hole in the clutch cover with the brake pedal and used JB weld as a temp repair. I took the cover off today to replace it and found the bike has a Barnett clutch basket in it. I also noticed the clutch basket was rubbing on the engine cover. It looks like the basket has excessive wobble allowing it to move far enough to rub. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Ideas how to fix? I thought it might need a new bearing (needle bearing) but I don't want to purchase and put back together only to find it didn't fix the problem.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Barnett clutches. The one I have has 300419 stamped inside the clutch basket. It has what looks like aluminum tabs riveted onto the fins. One of the tabs appears to be missing, others are loose. Lord know where the missing one might have ended up. Any ideas where to check? I can't see any evidence of it when I pulled the engine cover off and the bike runs fine.

Any help is much appreciated.

I agree. I think it needs a new basket but I don't think this is why it wobbles. It doesn't appear to real snug on the shaft. This is why I think it might need the bearing replaced.

Any ideas on an expensive basket?

I have the same problem. Last year i heard a screeching noise coming from clutch area. Inspected and found it to be the large washer between the basket and inner hub on the shaft spinning. Anyway... its a bad design altogether and even though i love HONDA products....... im embarassed that this is the best design they can come up with for properly securing the clutch basket to a stable load bearing device. It wobbles because of the relatively small bearing area of support for the basket. Its also not bolted down secure, it just floats on the shaft. You are not alone with this problem and if you want to truly "FIX" it you are going to have to replace the outer race pressed into clutch basket/roller bearing/Inner race on the transmission shaft/and the large washer between the basket and hub.

My 450R with 50 hours on the motor...

its a bad design altogether and even though i love HONDA products

The basket spins on the bearing and collar. If they're both worn you've got a problem. Probably should have a new gear assembly for the back too since that's where the other side of the roller runs.

14MEB2E1_MEB4E0700B.gif

bearing #21 and collar #3 is what you should replace first. Unfortunately they dont even offer a measurement in the Service Manual for it so you cant even measure it. But if its got any marks or damage on it at all it needs to be replaced with the bearing.

Could just be the gear thats riveted on the back of the basket too. A little wobble doesnt matter since the clutch springs and plates will hold the whole thing tight but I can see where it'd make some racket with the clutch pulled in.

But that's the same design they've been using for almost every friggin race engine they've ever built. I don't think its a bad design as much as yours seems to be worn.

thanks guys.... I hope I get lucky and get away with a few bucks in parts. I know the if I have to purchase a new basket it will be a couple hundred bucks. My first call tomorrow morning will be to Barnett to see if the basket I have can be repaired.

I agree that its the same design used on almost all bikes, across brands as well. If there is any wear in parts 3,21, or the outer race pressed into part 2 it is exagerated in basket wobble because the basket is so large in diameter. Part 16 is the washer that was worn and spinning to make the whine noise in mine.

On my 06 I put on a Vortex Clutch basket, and when you put on a after market basket you have to usually reuse the stock gear off your stock basket. And when I was checking out my stock basket it had a lot of play in it because the rubber cush drives that are between the clutch basket and sprocket where all broken in half and some were even in a few pieces. This could be your same problem your having. Just pull off your clutch basket and take the gear off the back of it and check your cush drives. If they are broken this is most likely your problem...?:thumbsup:

Okay.... I think the major source of the problem has been identified. I talked to folks at Barnett about my problem. They asked me to send them the clutch basket so they could take a look at it. They received the basket Wednesday and called me the next morning with what they had found. It appears the previous owner of the bike while installing the clutch basket didn’t press the center steel spline into the Barnett clutch basket correctly. I had noticed when I took it apart the center steel spline moved on and off the clutch basket freely. I’m told this shouldn’t be loose at all and it should take a press to install or remove it. Because this wasn’t pressed onto the clutch basket correctly (wasn’t pressed on straight) it damaged the clutch basket. Because the clutch basket was damaged it was loose on the center spline and more than likely the cause of the wobble in the basket while installed. And get this….. Barnett has agreed to replace the basket for free! They’re going to press my center spline onto the new basket and send it back to me. All I can say is WOW! The problem obviously wasn’t their fault but they’re standing behind their product. I couldn't be more pleased.

I should get the new basket back in a few days. I’ll update everyone with the results after I get it installed.

On my 06 I put on a Vortex Clutch basket, and when you put on a after market basket you have to usually reuse the stock gear off your stock basket. And when I was checking out my stock basket it had a lot of play in it because the rubber cush drives that are between the clutch basket and sprocket where all broken in half and some were even in a few pieces. This could be your same problem your having. Just pull off your clutch basket and take the gear off the back of it and check your cush drives. If they are broken this is most likely your problem...??

even taking all the rubber cusions out would not allow the basket/gear to wobble if all is well otherwise. The basket/gear would clank forward/back but should not wobble. it is all pressed together, AND is then held to the shaft with a nut and 59ft lbs of torque..?

• 4 weeks later...

Problem fixed. It was the clutch basket. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago and finally got a ride in last weekend. I took the clutch cover off today to make sure everything was still okay and it was. Thanks for all the advice guys.

even taking all the rubber cusions out would not allow the basket/gear to wobble if all is well otherwise. The basket/gear would clank forward/back but should not wobble. it is all pressed together, AND is then held to the shaft with a nut and 59ft lbs of torque..:eek:

Well sorry to tell you otherwise, but this was not the case in my basket. The main gear that rode on the cush drives would move back and forth from all of my cush drives being broken in half and some into pieces. Plus this gear is not pressed on. It was held on by rivets and a metal washer plate. I know the splined gear that rides in the center of the basket is the one that is pressed on, but I'm not even talking about that one.?

• 1 month later...
Was it flopping around on the screws or something?

Sorry Shawn_MC, just saw your message. the email got lost in a sea of others. The problem was the center steel spline wasn't pressed on to the old basket correctly. I'm sure you've replaced one of these before so you'll know the center steel spline needs to be pressed onto the basket for a tight fit. Mine was lose enough you that it would freely slide on and off the basket. I sent the basket and center steel spline to Barrnett and they replaced it with a new basket and pressed the center steel spline into it for me. Best part was they didn't charge me a penny for it.

Sorry Shawn_MC, just saw your message. the email got lost in a sea of others. The problem was the center steel spline wasn't pressed on to the old basket correctly. I'm sure you've replaced one of these before so you'll know the center steel spline needs to be pressed onto the basket for a tight fit. Mine was lose enough you that it would freely slide on and off the basket. I sent the basket and center steel spline to Barrnett and they replaced it with a new basket and pressed the center steel spline into it for me. Best part was they didn't charge me a penny for it.

You could have actually done this yourself if you own a bench vise? All you do is heat your aftermarket basket up in the stove at 400 and put the splind gear into your freezer for about an hour. After you've heated the basket for about 10-15 mins, you just take the gear out of the freezer and put it into the basket and use your vise to press it in, which doesn't take any force at all, cause it will basically just slide right in... Then once it's pressed in you just leave it and let it cool off while it's being held in the vise... Pressing it without doing this can damage the basket...:smashpc:?