Sign in to follow this  

TE310 from an XR400

Just sold my XR400 and have been looking at the 310. Want the e-start but also want something that will move - the XR had some grunt. Anyone make the switch? What will be my trade-off's? I am a beginner dirt rider and not real crazy - plus I am old. Do a long trip every year - Moab as an example - otherwise limited dirt use and some street. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Just sold my XR400 and have been looking at the 310. Want the e-start but also want something that will move - the XR had some grunt. Anyone make the switch? What will be my trade-off's? I am a beginner dirt rider and not real crazy - plus I am old. Do a long trip every year - Moab as an example - otherwise limited dirt use and some street. Any thoughts are appreciated.

What year 310?

you might not get the eazy start you want alota bikes get hot and the electric start wont work till bike cool i no this much

I can pick up a 10 or 11. A few good deals in the area.

I just bought a 2010 and took it out this weekend. I was riding a drz400 before. Here is a few things I have learned about this bike. With stock gearing you will not want to take this thing on many highway rides(not geared for it), very little low end torque but once you start to rev it, the fun starts. If you dont like to rev,clutch or ride aggressive on your bikes then maybe not a good choice.

I can pick up a 10 or 11. A few good deals in the area.

Either year will be superior to your XR in everyway. The 11 is faster,stronger and lighter than the 10 and more expensive. It is more race oriented. You would be very happy with the 10.

you might not get the eazy start you want alota bikes get hot and the electric start wont work till bike cool i no this much

What are you riding??? 89 CR125??!?!?!?! LOL.

Not to take away from the Husky, but have you thought about a 530 EXCR?

I have been researching the TE 250/310s and the only down side I see is the lack of a decent wide ratio gearbox. Either gear it for dirt....or gear it for highway!

The KTM 6 speed wide ratio gearing is so much nicer. Geared for dirt with plenty of low end grunt, the bike will easily cruise at 75-mph on the freeway!

The only down side is the 530 will weight a bit more than the TE but coming off of the bike that you just sold......the KTM will still be way lighter.

E-start, street legal, and with the optional extended 4-year warrenty.

IMG_0002-13.jpg

IMG_0003-13.jpg

IMG_0005-9.jpg

Back in 08 I went from a CA plated 03/XR400 to the 08/TE450. 250 or 310 just didn't have the zip and grunt. I didn't need the 510 more like a 450 on roids. Do a bigger CC if you can, I ride my 06/TE250 when the 450 shocks are being reworked and it does well but man, I love all over my 450.

I just went from a big-bore DRZ with all the goodies to a 2011 TE310.

Pros: TE is way lighter.

Suspension is 10x better. Shrugs off hits that would have hurt on the DRZ.

Impressive low rpm torque for a 310.

Comparable power to the 440, believe it or not.

Will climb hills the DRZ would not.

Cons: Too tall.

Installed the lower seat, which makes the seat to pegs distance a pain in the knees & hinders transition from sitting to standing (my knees are 53 years old, FWIW)

When hot, it starts / quits a couple times before running. Haven't figured that out yet, may be a simple fix.

Oil changes are a pain with the goofy return hose attached to the drain plug. Hopefully someone will figure out a solution.

The kick-stand wins the award for worst engineering design of the year. Really really poor design. Hacksawed off the part of the bolt that auto-retracts the stand, but the bike still wants to fall over at the slightest breeze. I usually lean it against a tree.

Biggest negative is the goofy close ratio 6-speed. The DRZ 5-speed has way better spread. No way to fix it, far as I can tell.

I like the 2011 TE310 in the mountains, but it's not good on roads linking the trails.

Planning to take a 4-day dual-sport ride in the Kootenay mountains with it next month.

Not to take away from the Husky, but have you thought about a 530 EXCR?

I have been researching the TE 250/310s and the only down side I see is the lack of a decent wide ratio gearbox. Either gear it for dirt....or gear it for highway!

The KTM 6 speed wide ratio gearing is so much nicer. Geared for dirt with plenty of low end grunt, the bike will easily cruise at 75-mph on the freeway!

The only down side is the 530 will weight a bit more than the TE but coming off of the bike that you just sold......the KTM will still be way lighter.

E-start, street legal, and with the optional extended 4-year warrenty.

IMG_0002-13.jpg

IMG_0003-13.jpg

IMG_0005-9.jpg

Apples to oranges!! If you look at the KTMs which are great bikes then look at the TE450-511.

proable one thing to watch out for getting the te 310 is that 2010 and under and 2011 are very diffrent machens i dont own one yet but if your going to get one gegt the 2011 new engine use the elec start does suffer when its hot from what ive heard and there arent any other issues i know of

the 2010 and the 2011 are different generations!

compare teh 2011 TE310 to a 2005 TE450 and you are closer!

it has good power but is lighter.

ist the best bike I ever had ( was not if the CR500 had an e-start!:smirk: )

maybe the gears are not spread so wide, that might be a problem, but I never would take a ktm because of that!:p

Edited by engl

Limited dirt use and some street, a long trip every year...Sounds to me like you should look for a new $6500 TE 630.

I have a 2010 TE310 and love the bike. I was looking at the 2011 as it has some nice changes, but it was not worth the $2K delta I was looking at. To help the highway running I added one tooth on the front and took off 3 in the back. Seemed drastic at first but I can do 60 comfortably on the roads (not for a long period though) and it still does great on the trails. I ride desert at 3000 feet and trails up to 9500 feet. It is a bit tall, and when it needed tires I swapped out the Karoos for Dunlop 606 which with the lower sidewall, dropped the seat height by about 1.0 inches. Much better and better tires as well. I love the bike and would recommend it. If you have a good, close dealer, even better. Good luck!

Edited by ringokelly

I had a 2003 xr400r with the suspension redone and the carb re jetted with a full fmf pipe.

I was very cautious about switching from the xr but I am glad I did. The 2011 TE310 just loves to be ridden hard. The xr was about 70 lbs heavier and had much less power.

I had the power up mods done on the 310 and I have not looked back. I do lots of single track woods riding in Ontario Canada. I love it. It is a rocket through the trails and I can now ride about 3 extra hours each time compared to the xr. The xr was a great bike but I am much faster and more confident with the new 310