Sign in to follow this  

2009 YZ 250F forks STIFF after fork seal replacement

I replaced the fork seals, free piston, and an o-ring on the other free piston in my 2009 YZ250f forks, and for whatever reason they are SUPER stiff now. I am positive that it was assembled correctly (inner cartridge oil changed, bled, purge out excess oil, etc). Anybody have any suggestions? I torqued the triple clamp pinch bolts to spec, correctly aligned the front end, both forks are at the same height, etc. The fork height is set JUST above the second line, if that matters. Also, I put in 350cc of oil, stock is 335 and max is 380. Thanks in advance!

First, are you talking about them feeling stiff when actually riding it, or just bouncing around in the shop?

Second, did you align the front axle in the right side fork leg?

Stiff while riding, it's really bad over braking bumps and produces a fair amount of headshake at higher speeds. And I alligned the front end by tightening one right side fork leg pinchbolt, tightening the axle, loosening the pinchbolt, taking the bike off the stand and pushing down on the front end numerous times, then putting it back on the stand and tightening all pinch bolts to spec. Is there a better way to do this? I've been doing it this way ever since I rode 85's and have never had a problem..

did you purge the inner chamber after the final bleed by bottoming the damper rod

Please explain, not really sure what that means..

sounds like your forks are out of alignment with the tripples?

Yes I did, bottomed the damper rod multiple times and it came back on its own every time.

did you purge the inner chamber after the final bleed by bottoming the damper rod

yes bushings can cause this , also go back to 335cc

Yes I did, bottomed the damper rod multiple times and it came back on its own every time.

mxracer,

Yes, you were checking for full extension. But did you purge it? Pour the excess oil out after you stroked your rod? Your setting the oil height in the chamber.

Yup, purged all excess oil out of the chamber. But another thing that I just noticed after looking over the bike again is that my front rim is substantially bent. There are 2 flat spots and the rim doesn't spin terribly out of true, but it definently doesn't spin completely straight.. anyone else ever had this cause harsh fork action? I am thinking this is the probable cause but I want to make sure before I go out and buy a new rim though.

mxracer,

Yes, you were checking for full extension. But did you purge it? Pour the excess oil out after you stroked your rod? Your setting the oil height in the chamber.