Sign in to follow this  

am i too big for this bike?

i am looking at getting a 2001 honda cr250r. i am 6'2 and 290lbs. im in shape and i want to keep doing the hare scrambles. i had a 450r but sold it. it had too much power for my likeing. i like the smaller frame but is it too small for me to use it for 100% thanks in advance for the help.

i am looking at getting a 2001 honda cr250r. i am 6'2 and 290lbs. im in shape and i want to keep doing the hare scrambles. i had a 450r but sold it. it had too much power for my likeing. i like the smaller frame but is it too small for me to use it for 100% thanks in advance for the help.

I don't think you're too big but you should get some springs for your weight front and back. I ride an 01 and it has plenty enough power. I use it for trails and hare scrambles too. To get an idea of what you need check out the racetech calculator and put in the numbers. If you get an 01 cr 250 there's tons of info on TT so be sure to check out mods etc. Good luck!

http://racetech.com/ChooseVehicle.aspx

:thumbsup:

be careful just because it says 250 doesn't mean it's much underpowered compared to your 450

thanks for the info. i was hoping i could use this bike. im getting a really good deal on it. it has a pipe, race clutch, and v force 3 reed. im planning on shorter bars and bark busters, as well as some homemade skid plates. anything else i should be looking at

how difficult is it to change those springs out? do i need special tools?

i am 6'3" and 245 at last visit to the doctor. i own a 2000 cr250. the bike has 0.49 factory connection springs up front and a race tech 6.0kg spring out back. you most definitely need bigger springs. at 6'2" and 290lbs you must have quite a mass on you especially if youre fit like you say.

to give you an idea, with the 6.0kg spring i do not get the proper static sag with 93mm of race sag (i have about 13mm static sag) but im simply not willing to buy another spring to test with. $110 a pop is just not worth it to me. if i up my sag to the recommended 100mm i think my static would be pretty good, but regardless this should give you an idea on how much more spring you will need for an 01 especially at your weight. race tech and others will give you some pretty low numbers for rear springs which will not get you the proper sag set up.

for changing the springs out, the rear is cake and requires no special tools. the fronts are a little more involved but still not bad (i did the rear when i got the bike and just did the fronts probably like 3 weeks ago or so). the fronts require a for seal tool which you can get off ebay for $34 shipped and a 50mm fork cap wrench.

IMO the seal driver is worth the money, ive heard you can use pvc pipe but i like the proper tool for the job, and in the big scheme of things $34 really is nothing to me for a proper tool. thats about it for that job, pretty simple, and youtube has an easy to follow fork rebuild guide for the showas. like i said i did mine recently, and the first one took a little time just to learn how to do it, and the second one took exponentially less time once you realize how easy these things are to service. when you service them, just drop the new springs in and youre golden.

once you get your jetting proper with the mikuni the bike just flat out rips. my 00 and my friends 01 are neck and neck in power delivery and like i said im a decent sized dude, the bike does scoot no doubt about it. not sure at what elevation youre riding but i can tell you this, the stock needle jet does not work for the bike. at sea level my friend is running the s7 needle jet with the needle in clip 1, and we just put an s4 in his bike with the needle in clip 4 at 4000'. the plug just came out text book perfect (better than my keihin) and the bike ripped all day. its unfortunate that the mikuni needs such large changes in jetting to get it running properly but thats the life of a factory jetted 01.

i got it and the susp is already set up for my weight. the guy said it has a race clutch. how do i tell