Sign in to follow this  

2t Trail Bike

I have been reading up on 4t's and I want to get a WR250F, but i'm reading lots of stuff about them overheating, I will race it but i'm a slow but steady racer, and if your not going fast enough 4t's overheat, and if they overheat wouldnt you have to stop in the middle of the race? Will 2t's perform well going at a steady pace? I have always been a 4t guy but I am having second thoughts... :thumbsup:

I don't think the 250fs over heat bad at all if jetted decent. Much better than most big bores. My bros. in law has a WR and a CRF and i'm amazed how long he'll like them idle and they don't even puke. A 2t usually will do better but don't base your bike choice on it. Besides the WR has a decent stator and will run a fan easy if needed.

I have been reading up on 4t's and I want to get a WR250F, but i'm reading lots of stuff about them overheating, I will race it but i'm a slow but steady racer, and if your not going fast enough 4t's overheat, and if they overheat wouldnt you have to stop in the middle of the race? Will 2t's perform well going at a steady pace? I have always been a 4t guy but I am having second thoughts... :thumbsup:

I have a 2 and a 4 stroke and in some circumstances both boil. I would say a 2 stroke is better but if you like a 4 stroke you'll just have to deal with overheating issues like everyone else. It's just the nature of the beast. I would think hare scrambles should not be a problem but I don't know what kind of riding that means where you are. I wish we had aircooled motors with upgraded chassis... but that isn't here. I have spent lots of money, time and effort dealing with my 2 stroke now it's my 4 stroke's turn. :ride:

Ok, I have also heard 2t's require less maintenance could someone give me a outline of the reqd. maintenance for a 2t, like for a 4 stroke change oil, grease chain, clean airfilter, etc. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Ok, I have also heard 2t's require less maintenance could someone give me a outline of the reqd. maintenance for a 2t, like for a 4 stroke change oil, grease chain, clean airfilter, etc. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

just look up 2 vs 4 stroke threads on TT or anywhere else. It will come up multiple times.

I looked it up and found a lot of stuff about the top end, how much does it cost, how hard to replace, and how often? None of them ever gave me a clear answer to those.

I looked it up and found a lot of stuff about the top end, how much does it cost, how hard to replace, and how often? None of them ever gave me a clear answer to those.

That's as clear as you're going to get. ..and that's your answer. It's varied depending on what your maintenance is and what you ride.. It's basicly the same but when the bikes blow up one costs a bunch more . You're going to change your oil, wash and oil your filter most every time or every other time you ride. Even that depends on what and how long you ride. I won't clean my air cleaner if it's a mud day..for ex. You can just look at your basic bike manual for basic maintenance. I guess one thing you can add in is that 4t bikes have one or more oil filters to change out that run from 4 to 10 bucks. Changing those is varied but I change them after a few rides unless you get a stainless steel reuseable one that runs around $35. This of course is in all of those threads. You just have to read through a bunch of them and make up your own mind.

Several buddies of mine ride WR250Fs ( I had an '02, non e-start model.. hated it) and have no problems with overheating, even on the 90+ degree days here in 'ol MO.

As for 2 stroke maintainence, change the gearcase oil ever so often, and the normal air filters, chain lube, etc..

Piston replacement will depend on how you ride it. The harder you ride, the more often it'll need replaced. But it's nowhere near as often as some people would like to make you think.

Hour meter and a compression tester set are your friends, on both 2 and 4 strokes.