Sign in to follow this  

boulder and rock riding

hello everyone was riding today and had to go down two trails that were rock and boulder infested.both times I stalled and lost my balance and the bike fell over. any suggestions when no way around the rocks and is it normal to drop the bike . I'm still new to dirt biking .

Thanks Frank

Hi Frank, what are you riding? I ask because I don't think it's "normal" to dump your bike when you stall out...although I've done my share of that. If your bike is a bit too tall for you, maybe look at a lowering link or shave the seat down some.

As for stalling, I've put a Revloc Dynaring in my '09 WR450, and will never havea bike without one again.:thumbsup:

rocks and boulders are tuff,here in AZ its a staple of our diet on every ride lol,stay on the balls of your feet,keep your grip kinda loose and let the bike float under you,keep your momentum and project your line down the trail,you have to stay loose because the bikes gonna bounce around a bit and you may have to improvise your line a bit,practice is the best medicine

hello everyone was riding today and had to go down two trails that were rock and boulder infested.both times I stalled and lost my balance and the bike fell over. any suggestions when no way around the rocks and is it normal to drop the bike . I'm still new to dirt biking .

Thanks Frank

get a rear trials tire for the boulders

I have a 2007 wr250f and thought about in the future an auto clutch. How do they work? Do you use the clutch handle. I'm 5 10 so the bike is just a bit tall but exceptable.

Thanks frank

stand, stay loose on the bike, keep a finger on the clutch and brake, look ahead, use momentum, stay calm. ... oh and have fun/

I think fixing your stalling problem will help a lot since you will keep your momentum. Are you locking up the rear tire or are you just getting stuck on rocks?

I think I m going to slow and don't grab the clutch handle fast enough.

It's frequently better to go over the top of a rock than try to steer around it. Hitting a rock off center can deflect your wheel and cause a fall.

There are times when you don't want the bike to have ALL the clutch. The concept of grabbing the clutch at the last second is all wrong, you should be using the clutch like the throttle, it's a variable device.

There are times when you don't want the bike to have ALL the clutch. The concept of grabbing the clutch at the last second is all wrong, you should be using the clutch like the throttle, it's a variable device.

+1 to that. I can get a lot better throttle control essentially using all clutch. Having said that, the rocks still challenge me too. As one expert rider once said to me, "pick a line, try to avoid the big ones, and keep moving"

Easier said than done :thumbsup:

Steve

so its best to keep moving and try not to slow down to much, which may cause me to stall.

Also, don't stare at the larger rocks, you will ride right into them.

that's good advice. Also, don't stare right down at your front wheel, but keep your eyes looking down your line where you want the bike to go. If you keep your gaze too close to the front of the bike you will slow down too much, overly micro-manage the little stuff, and not see the bad stuff until its too late.

+1 on the not using the clutch as a on/off switch , you need to learn to "feather" it , it will help keep your momentum , and will help keep you from falling over , this is best done while standing , and on the balls of your feet not your arches , you have more control of the bike using your balls (either and/or both pair:smirk:) , as mentioned cutting the seat is a option , it is what i did to my 450X , i am also 5'10" , but only have a 32" leg , that creates issues when in a situation where losing momentum can cause loss of balance , your butt hits the seat but your feet dont reach the ground , cutting the seat down almost completely eliminates this issue

But for technique:

Standing

Balls of Feet

Looking ahead NOT down

Keeping Momentum as much as possible

Feathering the Clutch *very very important*

Practice

Practice

Practice *the more you ride the more natural it will be to use these technique's , without thinking about it , it will become second nature*

I don't need a Auto Clutch , i already have one , its my left hand !!:thumbsup:

This California MXer turned Midwest woods rider had a hard time adjusting to rocks too.

-Stand up.

-Try to ride a gear high.

-No hard braking, no hard accelerating.

-Very careful w/ front brake.

-Stay loose.

-Keep arms up, elbows out... this will help to let the front-end move only your arms rather than your whole torso.

-On a 2-stroke because accelaration is inconsistent, when it's really ugly I'll hold the throttle in one spot and use the clutch to accelerate.

-Try to keep the front end light, wheeling/jumping over rock gardens by using large planted rocks as 'ramps' helps.

As mentioned, practice, practice.

Practice creates confidence and more relaxed riding.

Confidence is huge.

Look at a boulder as an inside out pot hole. If you can go through it you can go over it. I changed my sprockets. More low end helped me in narly boulders, stairs etc.

how do you work the clutch, do you feather it ??

thanks