Sign in to follow this  

Question for the Mechanics

Have a 99 Suburban with the 350 in it, it had the intake gaskets going out in it so we installed the Blue Devil gasket sealer in it seems to be holding out. My question is we have to take a 1000 mile trip it, could I crack the radiator cap to relieve the pressure on the system . Of course Iwould watch the temp gauge would this be ok ?

What ever coolant you had would now be gone, is it a water jacketed manifold? I would fix it properly before going on a trip.

The cap also increases the boiling point of the system, so taking it off is a bad idea.

The cap acts as a relief valve when the coolant expands, from the system it will go to the recovery tank.

When you stop and the engine cools there will now be a vacuum on the system, and the excess coolant that was expelled will be drawn back into the system.

Hope this helps

My intake gasket leaked on my burb, I just kept adding water. Oooooops, coolant was running on the inside of the engine(never made the oil white). It ran down directly on top of the back main beag and munched it. GM crate motor made me realize I was an idiot. FIX IT !!!!!

Dude, gasket set is under $50 for all of them needed.

Takes an afternoon to do.

Fix it or don't take it on the trip. Walking sucks, and tow truck bills and repair bills when you're away from home suck even more.

Have a 99 Suburban with the 350 in it, it had the intake gaskets going out in it so we installed the Blue Devil gasket sealer in it seems to be holding out. My question is we have to take a 1000 mile trip it, could I crack the radiator cap to relieve the pressure on the system . Of course Iwould watch the temp gauge would this be ok ?

Common on this engine. I had to replace the gaskets on my 98 K1500 (L31 engine) and I didnt want to drive it 310 miles to my cabin like that. I replaced the gasket with an improved design from Fel Pro. Its not that tough to do. But cap l;oose would buy ya some time. Just have a lower boiling point is all.

Replace it, felpro makes a real nice gasket set. Coolant running into the oil, then around the bearings eats the bearings. I waited to do mine on my 5.9 dodge and the main bearings were junk because of all the coolant.