2001 yz125 Question about slide with pics

So the wife and i traded a 4 wheeler for a 2001 yz125 said to be bored out to a 134:ride:. It ran good when I test rode it, and still does:banana:. We:bonk::ride: (or should I say I) are doing a minor tear down to fix a couple things. First I started off by raising the fork tubes up through the triple trees (what little I could):thumbsup:, then off come the chain and rear wheel for a chain sprocket replacement. After that took off the seat, rear subframe, and gas tank with shrouds for ease of access to the carb for a cleaning and a looksy of everything.

Snapshot_20110708.jpgSnapshot_20110708_1.jpg

Well heres where I need some help. The top of the slide and the bowl screws, can i change these out with an allen bolt? Also when i finally got the slide out of the carb I ran into this!:ride:

100_3506.jpg100_3507.jpg

Also, can someone tell me a good way to seal a pro circut platinum pipe to a stock silencer? THanks everyone!

anyone?

That slide needs replacing. As far as sealing a pipe to a silencer, if the bike doesn't have the little rubber dingus that goes around the outside of the joint, get a new one of those too.

nah, no need to spend 150 on a new slide, just use a bench grinder with a buffing wheel and some compound buff it up, lightly oil it with premix and put it back in, best way i have found to seal it is using the stock rubber piece and some hi temp silicone,

nah, no need to spend 150 on a new slide, just use a bench grinder with a buffing wheel and some compound buff it up, lightly oil it with premix and put it back in, best way i have found to seal it is using the stock rubber piece and some hi temp silicone,

:ride::thumbsup::banana::ride::D

Really????

thanks for the info everyone. Can someone tell me what kind of problems I can expect from a slide like this? ALso, roostyrooster, look at the pics again. THe slide has a chunk missing from it

It could run lean, or worse, stick the throttle open while you're riding. I would not consider continuing the use of that.

I would also be concerned about where that chunk of metal has gone...

you'll be chasing jetting issues all the time, if you are even able to get it to run correctly at all.

It actually runs rich all around right now. And if the wife is the one riding the bike, it'll foul the plug after an hour or so. I haven't had one foul on me though. Whats everyones input on swapping over to a Keihin carb? As for the chunk of slide, I think it prob happened before we ever got the bike.

Check Sudco for a much cheaper replacement slide. DO replace it.

oh shit, i did not see that, thats a problem, how in the world, i wonder where is that chunk is, yeah there right, with a chunk missing out of it it will through off you jetting and stuff, although i would not think it would make it rich, id assume lean, but that needs to be replaced, look on ebay for one

runs just fine. Pulls the tire up in 4 gears no problem.

really, when you put a new one in you will probably have to rejet, was the jetting stock?

The only thing the slide does is control the volume of air that can pass through a carb. The jets control the amount of premix and thus the rich / lean conditions. As long as there are no air leaks between the carb and cylinder, whatever the jetting is set to is what the carb will meter. If the carb was rejetted after that damage occured, it will still hold whatever jetting was set. It could make jetting the bike a pain in the butt though and I can see how that slide could cause idling issues or a hanging idle.

As far as the missing metal, if it came apart while running, you might just know why it was bored out to 134. Metal like that would go right through the reeds and into the cylinder. Bye-bye piston, and the cylinder and head would have been damaged also. But I suspect that it was broken off sitting on bench or shelf somewhere. I can't imagine a slide sloughing off a chunk of metal like that in normal operations.

I would either replace it with one that isn't damaged, or see if you can find someone to add material and machine it back to specs. It would definitely be cheaper to replace the slide though.

I would either replace it with one that isn't damaged, or see if you can find someone to add material and machine it back to specs. It would definitely be cheaper to replace the slide though.

I know for a fact you can get the #8 slide for the YZ250 from JD Jetting for Right near $50. I wouldn't mess around with trying to fix that one.

There you go. Unless he can find one on eBay, that would most likely be the best fix.