Sign in to follow this  

wr 450 gearbox in yz 250

Can you fit the wr 450 whole gearbox into a yz 250? (2010) ,o'r only wr 400/wr426 and what mods need to make it fit? thanks

I was waiting for that one! lol.. Theres too much info there im getting confused :/

Why confusing?

Here is what I did, ordered a complete gear box (2001 WRF426) over ebay and went along the text this thread gave me.

And here you might find the info you are looking for.

Do you have the wr450 gears already? It won't hurt to compare part numbers.

I cannot tell you how my gear exchange worked as I had no chance to finish the bike. I hope that end of the week I know more.

No.i havent got the gearbox, i thought it would be easier to get a 450 gearbox second hand as they are newer than 426. New bits for Yamaha oem are astronomical in the uk! please let me know how you get on .Thanks

the part numbers are different for the wr450 gears. I got my wr400 gearset on ebay for $65 with all the other tranny parts and it was in pretty good condition

I don't think the "Will WR450 gears work?" question has ever been satisfactorily answered. Someone may have to just jump in and try it. :thumbsup:

aled has a good point about the availability of used gearsets -- lots more 450s out there.

well what can we do, he has to find someone who did it, or find a thread of someone who has done the mod. It is hard to help if you never have seen or implemented it.

It doesn't help to know that SOME of the 450 gearbox parts will fit (carryover from the 400/426), but others are new and un-tried.

So close, and yet so far!

I have cross reference the part numbers between the 426 and 450, and it seems they use the same secondary shaft and isn't 5th gear the same??? I would think they would fit. Since I got my Rekluse I have stopped looing into the swap. Somone needs to offically try the swap and report back.

• Like 1

I phone up a yamaha dealer which i use, told me to use wr426 2,3,4,5 and not bother with 1st ,says its too low anyway. The gears are around £40 each so £160 is ..whats that around 100 dollars? getting the proper price today.

I phone up a yamaha dealer which i use, told me to use wr426 2,3,4,5 and not bother with 1st ,says its too low anyway. The gears are around £40 each so £160 is ..whats that around 100 dollars? getting the proper price today.

YZ 1st with WR 2nd will be practically the same gear.

YZ 1st 1.929:1

YZ 2nd 1.533:1

21% difference in ratio

WR 2nd 1.733:1

Gives only a 10% difference in ratio

To me that's way too close to be useful.

sorry yes 250 dollars ! actually the quote i had was £420!.. ill be looking for a second hand one then ! do you think its worth putting the wr first in then?? i like riding real tight trialsy stuff.

So far I have not tested the wrf426 3-5 gear set up. And here we don't have really tight wood trails. So that is why I kept the YZ250 1 - 2 gears. Used you can get the complete gears for about 100 US plus shipping.

I have some doubts still. Supposedly the (Third Gen. '03-05) 450's with 4speed YZ's & 5speed WR's only interchange with themselves. I've heard they have narrower cases.

Does that mean any '06 and newer WR450 will interchange w/ the YZ250 2stroke?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YZ450F

I know that Yamaha Aust Supermotard team put a YZ 250 Gearbox in their 2004 championship winning YZ450. Therefore as a YZ250 gearbox can fit into the 450 it should work both ways. MAYBE

• Like 1