1998-2001 rm250

I have a pain in the ass 1998/99 rm250 which some of you may know has electrical gremlins. I can either buy a pattern cdi and stator for it or buy genuine. Which in total is £650, roughly about $900 to you I think.

Ive sold my road bike and on ebay Ive found a really nice 2001 RM250, which is ready to go. Just wondered how many of my parts I can fit on that?

Ive got a completly freshly built 1999 motor, Ive got a refurbed and resprung shock. A brand new, never been run FMF gnarly and dep silencer, new bearings in the linkage and swing arm. Can I use any of this in the 2001?

First setup is using a part lookup like the one on this site. http://www.ronayers.com/

Look up the part number and paste it into the Where Used box on the left. That will give you a possible immediate yes. If you still have a question if the parts numbers don't match then some one may be able to help you with that specific part.

Thankyou I'll check that out. I was hoping to just swop my shock swing arm linkage and rear wheel from my 98 onto my 2001. And swop the barrel and piston off my 99 motor to 01. Not sure if that will work but my 99 has a new complete top end so shame to waste it

I think a 99 and 98 years are completely different bikes. and an 01 is also a different bike.

The 01 which I have, has a completely different top end then any other year. however a lot of stuff does interchange. of course not the big stuff like motor and forks. but I think you can use majority of the little stuff like clutch covers, brake rotors, brake pads, maybe even the wheels not sure on that. the rear shock should interchange, my 98 linkage and my 01 linkage look very very simlilar but both that are sitting in my bin are busted up so I can't know for sure. I know that the shock lengths are the same though.

The piston might work I know for an 03 and 01 the piston is the same. but i doubt the barrel will work. The pipe may fit but the port timing will be off. the silencer should be fine though.

Agreed, I vaguely remember changing my 00 RM for a 01 and noticing how everything was different, tiny changes everywhere.

Have you tried contacting West Country Windings about the ignition.... they are as good as anyone. If they can't economically fix it I'd be tempted to ebay your 98/99, in bits if possible, & add that money to the road bike funds & buy something more recent than an 01.

Tried westcountry windings. Would cost 97 quid to refurb my old stator but again I'd have to solder my own loom. The lady who answered was pretty useless, bless her.

Just thinking if the 125, could I put my 98 shock linkage and swingarm on a 02 you think? Bit of a longshot

I thought you said the 01 RM 250 was ready to go??? Buy that, ditch the other 98-99 parts on Ebay, and avoid the clustered mess your getting yourself into again. 01 had a new case design also shared with 02, I am not too sure a earlier cylinder would even fit. But again, save the headache and run it as is.

I thought you said the 01 RM 250 was ready to go??? Buy that, ditch the other 98-99 parts on Ebay, and avoid the clustered mess your getting yourself into again. 01 had a new case design also shared with 02, I am not too sure a earlier cylinder would even fit. But again, save the headache and run it as is.

wise words I suppose Its just a shame I brought a brand new fmf gnarly pipe, had all my linkage swingarm shock bearings replaced and had my shock serviced and resprung. I was hoping I could maybe get some use out of them first. Madness what a mistake.

• 9 years later...

I have a rm 250 2001 I just put a brand new lectron carburetor and I need a new motor for my bike I have all new other parts in it as well please can u help me.i need a motor that can fit into a rm250 2001 frame.please help me..my number is 7745031183 thank u.

Edited by Michael Lahair