'E' suspension and 'SM' suspension

Other than spring and valve rates, are these the same?

I seem to remember from threads where people did 'E' to 'SM' conversions they stated that the 'E' suspension had more travel, I therefore assumed it is a taller rear shock and would make the rear sit higher.

I'm 6'5" with a 33" inside leg. As a result I am also well over the 170-190 lb weight limit which seems to be the optimum for getting the correct sag on the SM stock suspension.

I've looked at aftermarket suspension but Ohlins and White Power is pretty expensive. I've looked at some other brands but they only have rear shocks listed for the 'E' model. Will these fit?

As stated I'm not concerned about the bike itself being taller, but am I going to run into steering/suspension geometry issues or even binding issues? Some of the aftermarket suspension is adjustable for compression/damping etc but are the spring rates and valving on the 'E' suspension going to be out of the ball park for street riding?

Did I ask a really stupid question?

I'm not trying to be funny but I see far less input on suspension threads in general than others. Given that the 'E' model suspension is supposed to have longer shock travel, I am assuming that it must be longer in the body or piston or both.

Am I wrong in that assumption? Everything I have read thus far suggests raising the rear isn't necessarily a bad thing. You get a faster turning bike at the expense of top speed stability. Given that the DRZ is meant for the twisties rather than straight line speed, I think that might not be a bad thing although I appreciate the suspension as a whole might benefit from installing longer/firmer springs in the forks to lift the front slightly as well.

Right now I'd be happy to hear that an 'E' rear shock aftermarket or otherwise will bolt straight up to my 'SM' and that is either exactly the same length or slightly longer than the stock 'SM' strut.

Anyone?

Thats what he is asking...

The rear shock springs are identical in shape and size (different spring rates) for all the drz400s, there are differences with the shock itself in the early years, but the springs are all interchangeable.

Talk to Eddie, seriously consider sending him your shock for him to work on.

Suspension is arguably the most important mod to make on a bike, replacing the whole shock unit on these bikes is rare, you should just send your forks and shocks to Eddie and have him set them up, it will be a whole new bike. My forks have been worked on by Eddie and I love it.

Thats what he is asking...

The rear shock springs are identical in shape and size (different spring rates) for all the drz400s, there are differences with the shock itself in the early years, but the springs are all interchangeable.

Talk to Eddie, seriously consider sending him your shock for him to work on.

Suspension is arguably the most important mod to make on a bike, replacing the whole shock unit on these bikes is rare, you should just send your forks and shocks to Eddie and have him set them up, it will be a whole new bike. My forks have been worked on by Eddie and I love it.

I thought he was asking about swapping out aftermarket suspension components. Hong Kong is probably a little to far to make shipping them to Eddie cost effective.

If I wasn't clear I'm sorry. Sometimes I say a lot without saying anything if you know what I mean.

So yes, I live in Hong Kong and I don't really want the down time or cost involved in sending both forks and rear shock to Eddie. I know he would do a good job though!

I looked into aftermarket shocks but some manufacturers ONLY list shocks for the 'E' model NOT the 'SM'. Assuming that I could request a specific spring rate I am just asking if this 'E' shock would work and if it would be the same height or taller than the stock Showa 'SM' one.

I am just confused because some posts state that all post 2003 shocks are interchangeable and identical whilst others state 'S' and 'E' models have more suspension travel and are taller bikes. Could it possibly be that the 'E' and 'S' swingarms create this extra height with the fulcrum and contact patches being different? Or is it that the 21 and 18 inch wheels create all the height? I really am curious to know.

RaceTech do offer both springs and valving kits. Perhaps it would be worth getting the parts shipped here and just having someone respring and revalve the bike here.

Edited by cheekychimp