Saturday (7-9-2011) Ride Report w/pics

Washington

Last week I exchanged emails with Steve and Kim. Steve was interested in riding areas here in Eastern Washington where they could ride quads. He and his wife have been dirt bikers in the past but right now are riding quads. I listed all the areas I knew of where quads could legally be ridden. They have a place near Mattawa in a retirement community and spend a lot of time in Eastern Washington. Of course the Green Dots were on the list of places to ride. They have ridden the Taneum area Green Dots but not the Colockum Pass Green Dots.

We had exchanged phone numbers and before long Steve called me to get directions to Colockum Pass. As we talked I offered to meet up with them and show them the area. So on Saturday we met at my favorite staging area along the Colockum Pass road. This is only the second time I have ridden with quad riders on the Green Dots. Steve and Kim are experienced riders which was quite evident during the ride. We had a very enjoyable day.

Steve and Kim at the staging area:

Colockum-7-8-2011-002-L.jpg

It turned out to be an excellent day to observe nature. The deer and elk were out in force which always makes for an exciting ride. We had not ridden very far from the staging area when Kim stopped and was taking pictures of a nice looking buck. So I snapped a shot or two.

Colockum-7-8-2011-003-L.jpg

This really set the pattern for the day. Wildlife everywhere throughout the ride. We saw a total of at least 100 elk. I have taken pictures of so many elk this year that I didn't take any this time. When I thought about it later there were a few opportunites that I wish I photographed. Like the 4 or 5 elk calves that were walking on the road right in front of us calling out to their mama's. The air was filled with the whistling sound the elk make to communicate with each other.

We took the power line road off of the Colockum pass road and looped back to the Colockum Pass road and then onto the Naneum Ridge road. Our destination was to see if we could make it to the Mission ridge lookout across from Mission Ridge Ski area. We were pretty close when the snows turned us back.

Colockum-7-8-2011-008-L.jpg

Colockum-7-8-2011-013-L.jpg

Since we could not get to the Lookout from the Naneum Ridge road I figured we would try the other access to the Lookout just past Judy's Tamarack Forest. This too was blocked by snow. We ran into some Jeepers who were trying to get over the first drift of snow. One of them made it over but we never did see this guy make it.

Colockum-7-8-2011-020-L.jpg

The Jeepers told me that once you got past this first drift that the road to the Lookout was covered with drifts. He did suggest that the ridge itself was snow free and you could make it to the Lookout without riding on the Green Dot road. Since that is not legal we turned around and headed back to our trucks.

Once we were on the Colockum road and with in a mile or so from the staging area I spotted a buck. Very likely the same buck we saw at the beginning of the ride. He was hiding in the trees watching us.

Colockum-7-8-2011-025-L.jpg

Then he ran off deeper into the woods away from us and I caught him in this picture running.

Colockum-7-8-2011-031-L.jpg

I thought we had seen the last of him as we continued down the road when he doubled back and crossed the Colockum road directly in front of me. I stopped my bike and turned it off. He turned and curiously watched us from the trees. This is when I got my best pictures of him.

Colockum-7-8-2011-034-L.jpg

Colockum-7-8-2011-035-L.jpg

We had a great ride and once back at the staging area we loaded our ORVs and talked. I had met some new friends and enjoyed the day with them. As we left the area we spotted some more deer along the Colockum road. They were saying to us, "You all come back now".

Have a nice day and keep the rubber side down. :thumbsup:

Edited by Old_Man_Time

First the no helmets thing now Quads... you are one rainbow festival away from being banned here :thumbsup:

Totally kidding. Nice report, looks fun.

Just for the record I was only consorting with quad riders, I was on my

XR650R dirt bike wearing a helmet. :thumbsup::ride: :ride:

Great report as always.

I made it to the Green Dots for the first time on July 3 of this year. I was on a DR650 that I was unfamiliar with so I only went about fifteen miles in and back. I stayed on the "main" road which I believe was Colockum pass road. IIRC, it is about four or five miles from where the pavement ends and there is a fair amount of open parking. A few miles from there I took a few photos of my DR650 and will post them if I ever get around to it. There is definitely a lot of ground to cover but I'll need some maps before I really go off exploring. Maybe the green trail series covers this region?

I didn't see any wildlife but there were a million cattle along the road.

Greg

Great report as always.

I made it to the Green Dots for the first time on July 3 of this year. I was on a DR650 that I was unfamiliar with so I only went about fifteen miles in and back. I stayed on the "main" road which I believe was Colockum pass road. IIRC, it is about four or five miles from where the pavement ends and there is a fair amount of open parking. A few miles from there I took a few photos of my DR650 and will post them if I ever get around to it. There is definitely a lot of ground to cover but I'll need some maps before I really go off exploring. Maybe the green trail series covers this region?

I didn't see any wildlife but there were a million cattle along the road.

Greg

It is possible to see Elk and Deer anywhere in the area but there are certain spots that they like to hang out in large numbers. I know of three of these areas two of which we traveled through on this trip. And they did not disappoint. Like I said in the report, I didn't take pictures of all the elk we saw.

I must be wierd cause after all these years it still thrills my heart to watch all the creatures in this area: Elk, Deer, Longhorn mountain sheep, coyotes, fox and even cows and horses. Last week someone spotted a cougar. One year someone put their herds of horses out on the free range. It was so cool to watch these horses running, playing and eating out in the wild and I did take pictures of that. I've only ridden horses a couple of times and because of my size I really don't think its fair to them but I really enjoyed being on these beautiful poweful creatures. :thumbsup:

Great ride report....like all of yours :thumbsup:

I prefer mechanical horses :ride:

OMT I passed you guys at the staging area Sat. I was on the white KTM. I didn't know of the staging area so I parked at the turn out where the pavment ends. Great day to be out. I decided to take the Brewton to WB and back up to Tarpiscan to Colockum rd. which was a real treat after the "rock fest" :bonk:going down Brewton. Glad I was not on a big bike.:thumbsup:

OMT I passed you guys at the staging area Sat. I was on the white KTM. I didn't know of the staging area so I parked at the turn out where the pavment ends. Great day to be out. I decided to take the Brewton to WB and back up to Tarpiscan to Colockum rd. which was a real treat after the "rock fest" :bonk:going down Brewton. Glad I was not on a big bike.:thumbsup:

Yes, we waved as you rode by. We assumed you parked way down low because you had not yet purchased the Discovery Pass.

Are you saying the bridge on the Tarpiscan has been repaired and OK to cross now?

If so that is the best news all summer for this area.

Edited by Old_Man_Time

I picked up a Pass but they said I needed one for the truck too if I was going to park in there so I parked at the end of the road.

The Bridge is brand new and I saw no signs of the "No Motorized Vehicle allowed" around so I kept on going. It was a great ride thru there after gripping the handle bars so tight on the rocky Brewton Rd.

There seems to be a lot of "No Motorized Vehicle allowed" signs around

I picked up a Pass but they said I needed one for the truck too if I was going to park in there so I parked at the end of the road.

The Bridge is brand new and I saw no signs of the "No Motorized Vehicle allowed" around so I kept on going. It was a great ride thru there after gripping the handle bars so tight on the rocky Brewton Rd.

There seems to be a lot of "No Motorized Vehicle allowed" signs around

That is great news. You would have known if it was still closed. They had blocked off one side of the bridge with huge boulders and the other side with logs when it was closed. Thanks for the report.

You are right. They do require a Discovery pass for your factory dual sport motorcycle to even be on DNR land. The Discovery Pass is not a parking permit, it is a land use permit. ORVs are excempt if they have current ORV tabs. Your truck would have needed one. Several of my bikes I can no longer ride on DNR lands because I refuse to buy a Discovery Pass for anything except my truck. Oh well, it is still nice that we have access to the area. Glad you had a good ride.

Great ride report....like all of yours :smirk:

I prefer mechanical horses :p

Yes, it is hard to be unfair to mechanical horses no matter how big you are. Also I like the idea of only having to feed them when I use them.