02 CR250 taller gearing?

hi there i was thinking of changeing to different sized sprockets on my bike. it has a 50tooth on the back and im not sure what on the front. i do alot of woods road runs and long tours. i jus want a bit more top end speed. with out losing to much power. does anyone have any ideas for me thanks alot.

I'd just go back to stock ratio - 13/48. 14/51 would work well also.

We just bought a CR250 Honda. My son races Hare scrambles. The first thing we did was go to a 14/48 gear selection to smooth out the hit. The bike has plenty of power to pull my 150# son through the woods. It surprises me how many people are running 13/50 and 13/51 gears in the woods. I would think the bike would be too jumpy in the woods.

However, we have a Ktm 200 that we use to race in the really tight stuff where a 13/51 would probably work better.

If there's any elevation that the bike has to climb, eg, mountain trails and forest single tracks, 14:48 will prove to be a bit too tall.

13:50 & 13:51 are the gears of choice for steep single tracks.

I also have an 02 CR250 that I run in fairly open areas. I have a stock sprocket set (13/48) and I keep a spare 14 tooth that I quickly swap on if I will be running any dirt roads. I will say that the 14/48 combo is quite high sped in 1st for tight trails, which means more clutch work.

I also have an 02 CR250 that I run in fairly open areas. I have a stock sprocket set (13/48) and I keep a spare 14 tooth that I quickly swap on if I will be running any dirt roads. I will say that the 14/48 combo is quite high sped in 1st for tight trails, which means more clutch work.

That ^^^ I tried 14/46 too (too much speed, unless it's a supermoto), I hate picking trees out of my teeth.. :thumbsup:

I have a tall 14/49 on my 250 but im thinking of going to 13/49 when i change my sprockets....is there a calulator that will tell you how much top speed you loose or gain from a sprocket change?

I have a tall 14/49 on my 250 but im thinking of going to 13/49 when i change my sprockets....is there a calulator that will tell you how much top speed you loose or gain from a sprocket change?

I don't know of any.... A cheap GPS will tell you though. I have one that looks like this one but I've had mine so long that I'm sure the actual model designation has changed. Since you're thinking of changing front sprockets it would be simple to conduct back to back runs under the same conditions. Changing rear sprockets would take a little longer but it could still be done.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-eTrex-H-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/6015179?findingMethod=rr&ssm=0&sspt=1

If there's any elevation that the bike has to climb, eg, mountain trails and forest single tracks, 14:48 will prove to be a bit too tall.

13:50 & 13:51 are the gears of choice for steep single tracks.

ok man cool. i dont race dirtbikes. i wish i did. but i do drive on alot of woods roads. i was thinking 13/48 im running 13/50 now. does that sound ok .

perfect im going to do the same i have 13/50 now so i think ill grab a 48 and a 14 for a quick swap like ur doin thanks bro.

For me its going to be 13-51 or 52. I've been struggling with my gearing for awhile now, but the final straw was yesterday when I rode a section of single track that I normally don't have a problem with on my other bikes. My CR is geared 13-49 and I was on the clutch the whole time--and I eventually became irritated and turned around. I also think a FFW is in order.

If you ride in rocky, fallen trees in trail, water crossing and high elevation single track the rear should be at least 51 imo.

Originally Posted by xtonycrx:

perfect im going to do the same i have 13/50 now so i think ill grab a 48 and a 14 for a quick swap like ur doin thanks bro.

Stephen:

I think what xtonycrx is proposing is this:

Just get a 14t sprocket...leave the rr sprocket alone, and swap out front sprocket accordingly...