Sign in to follow this  

How about a $100 fork revalve?

I've got the 11 250xc (stock valving, and sprung for my weight) and have been thinking about revalving for some time now, for more stability in chop and rocks. A buddy talked me into trying SKF seals first. I believe SKF is an American seal company who is now making replacement seals for WP. KTM sells them in their SXS rebuild kit.

The only thing I did was replace the seals and bushings as well as fresh oil, inner and outer. Oh, and 15psi in the bladder, not 17. That was Adammoto's recommendation.

It made a huge difference in fork performance. It eliminated the stick (stickshon) that you have with stock seals. In fact the fork feels softer all around and easier to bottom because of the lack of friction at the seal. It's a dramatic difference. I was thinking about softer mid-stroke valving but that's not going to be necessary now. In fact, it would be too soft if it were revalved.

If I had sent my forks for a re-valve and they came back like this, I'd have been happy with it, except this only cost $100 in parts and oil. :thumbsup:

Here's Slaven's video if you haven't seen it. http://www.veoh.com/watch/v208749492BP864P3?h1=WP+SKF+Fork+Seals+vs+Stock

You know the right ones because they are a greenish blue color with SKF stamped on them.

• Like 1

Where did you source the seals?

And, do you know if there is a video on how to service, tear apart the TC forks? I am familiar with the older style, but not with the TC stuff.

Glad you like the fork jeff.

You can buy the SKF seals though slavensracing.com or mxtech for about $65 a pair. But the best source is your local KTM dealer. KTM's SXS fork service kit (part no. R14020, $100 retail) includes the SKF dust seals and oil seals along with a set of upgraded bushings and a few other internal wear parts. Its a bargain and chances are you are due for new bushings anyway.

See SKF's website for fitment info on other models (not 48 mm WP).

BTW Hrpufnstuff means 15 psi bladder pressure not 25 (the range of adjustment is 15-25 psi).

I think you can achieve close to the same affect by polishing the down tubes. I know when I put springs in my 05, mine didn't stick like the ones in the video, I had to hold them to keep them up. FTI did my forks and he polishes out the down tubes.

I don't doubt there is some benefit, however. They have to be good if KTM has adopted them into stock equipment.

tried the re centering the axle with keeping the non brake side loose, thought I made it centered but that didn't fix my problem. Made it a little less stiction, but the forks still stick down mid to half way down the stroke. I am going to lube up the fork legs and see what that does. I bought Moose seals and they shouldn't be having this problem. Maybe the lube will do the trick?

Where did you source the seals?

And, do you know if there is a video on how to service, tear apart the TC forks? I am familiar with the older style, but not with the TC stuff.

I don't know of a video but there is the complete WP TC Fork Service Manual on the MX Tech Website. It's quite helpful. It's step by step with pictures. Here's the link:

http://mx-tech.com/downloads/wptwinchamberfork.pdf

Hope that helps. The outer chamber is easy. I don't have enough hours on mine to service the inner chamber yet. Good Luck

Are the 250 forks different than the 300 forks?

I feel like my mid-stroke is to weak and I move through it to quickly. I had new oil lock collars installed this week to add a bit more bottoming resistance. I'm running the .46 fork springs and my compression is 7 clicks out and my rebound 6. Anything more and I start to get deflection, anything less and I can't hammer through stuff.

Overall I like the forks (after I added the stiffer springs), but I'm at the point where I need some tweaking so I can attack with confidence. We'll see if the oil lock collars help at all.

i think those seals are now coming on the 12's??!! correct??

Correct.

Fitnessguy, the 250xc and 300xc forks are identical.

The benefit is worth changing to the skf seals any time but the next time you service your forks, it's a no brainer.

Right Adam, 15 psi, that's 17 psi with precisely 2psi loss when you unhook the pump. :thumbsup: Was your needle the racetech replacement needle?

I wonder when skf will make the rear shock seal?

I missed it by days. Just did the mid-season refresh and then read this. It'll have to wait until late fall.