hour meter reading wrong??

my dad just bought 2006 CRF450r thats in like new shape from the original owner. the original owner said they installed a hardline hour meter the day he bought the bike and right now the meter reads 85.5 hours. i have a question tho we took the bike out for its 1st ride yesterday and the hour meter said 82.1 hours, i was at the track from 1-3pm he only rode 15-20 laps the whole day on a track with the lap times in the 1:50s Now the hour meter says 85.5h, if you round that up to 2min and 20 laps thats only 40 min . the original owner said he thought the meter was reading wrong but was not sure. I myself thought the bike look to clean and nice to have that many hours on it as well . is it possible that the meter was installed wrong or is reading incorrectly for some other reason ? any help you could give me in looking into this problem would be appreciated.

The hour meter records normal usage as well as "hard fast rider" hours. It's kind of like the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Tell pops to slow down and the hours will be less.

You didn't ride it when he went to work did ya?

There is a setting for pulses per revolution. These bikes fire every revolution using a "wasted spark ignition". Perhaps it is set incorrectly. It would read double if it was.

I agree, pulses per revolution is off..Your actual hours are probably 1/2 what it is reading.

Pulses per revolution would not affect engine hours.

Pulses per revolution would not affect engine hours.

You may be right... When it sees a signal from the coil it may just use a clock in the unit to count time.

Or..

It may count pulses per revolution and convert RPM to time.

That unit does not need battery voltage and is an inductive clamp style meter. It may measure HZ and calculate hours.

Yeah, you might be right, I have some cheap one I got on Ebay for like $12.00. Works great. I guess the pulses per revolution would be for the tach feature.

The hour meter records normal usage as well as "hard fast rider" hours. It's kind of like the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Tell pops to slow down and the hours will be less.

There is a setting for pulses per revolution. These bikes fire every revolution using a "wasted spark ignition". Perhaps it is set incorrectly. It would read double if it was.

i emailed hardline and asked about riding harder and it building more hours

this is what they said about the harder riding building more hours

NO NO NO!

You are getting bad info from the uninformed.

The meter will not read more hours because you rev the motor.

Think of the meter as mearly a timer. When the meter senses the engine running it switches on and counts minutes.

That’s it!

Engine runs meter counts. Engine off, meter stops counting.

Regards,

Kevin Schulte

Hardline Products®

“Value” You can’t tell a customer

that you have value, You must prove it!

I think Rocky was pulling your leg... At least I hope that was his intent

I think Rocky was pulling your leg... At least I hope that was his intent

:thumbsup: Yup, you are right. It was an attempt at a joke. Sorry you took it that way!