Sandtown toTrout Lake

Michigan

A couple of us are heading up to the Newberry area to try out Sandtown, Trout Lake and newberry-rexton. Any info on these? I know Porterfield Lake is overgrown right now and slows it way down. We have some great plains riding we normally do this time of year but wanted to take a ride and try something new but not ride through a jungle. Second is were thinking KOA in Newberry to camp at, leave the trailer and truck it to the areas. Were riding our HS race bikes, no plates or lights. Or is there something better located? Our race trailer is self contained and we dont need hook ups. Any ideas or info would be great!

My experiences near the Newberry area:

Sandtown is a fantastic trail. It can be a little overgrown, and can be greasy in spots if it is wet. There are some raspberry bushes, so make sure you wear full length sleeves or suffer tons of scratches. We rode it 2.5 weeks ago and it was great.

Kinross is pretty fun too and isn't too far away.

If you like really gnarly, intense stuff, check out Birch Hills and Foreman Lake. Birch Hills was 8 miles of sheer hell for me :thumbsup:. The trail is VERY technical with a relentless assault of rocks, roots and the like. Foreman lake is less technical than Birch Hills but still is very good.

Do not ride the Silver Creek trail unless you want a quad ruined highway. It was opened to quads a year or so ago and now it is a trail you could blast in 4th gear pretty easily. We were averaging almost 25mph for the first 10 miles before we bailed on the trail, and rode back to the campground. It is extremely whooped and wide.

We have stayed at the Bass Lake State Forest campground north of McMillan. It is a small, very lightly used campground with a nice lake: http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/details.aspx?id=683&type=SFCG

Moss Lake trail is a bit of a hike, but it is a serious ass-kicker and loads of fun. It isn't really technical in terms of rocks, obstacles and the like, but it is tight. It was brand new 2 years ago, and it is very tight and unique. At times it seems like it was laid out by a drunken goat with tons of hairpins, off camber, short run up climbs. There is 24ish miles of trail laid out on a 6 square mile area(2mix3mi).

Have fun

A couple of us are heading up to the Newberry area to try out Sandtown, Trout Lake and newberry-rexton. Any info on these?

Fun trails, fairly fast-paced with decent flow.

I know Porterfield Lake is overgrown right now and slows it way down.

Know what you mean, I was on it Saturday and the complete lack of brushing was very evident on the "old" trail. Also clear they've been spending a ton of time on the new ~20 miles of trail there.

We have some great plains riding we normally do this time of year but wanted to take a ride and try something new but not ride through a jungle.

In my experience, Sandtown is usually not brushed well/much. Check out the video to see a few examples, http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/sandtown.html

I have NOT rode it this year to say if things are different.

SandTown to Brevort, has been brushed well, again in my experience, but I've not been on it in a year.

Silver Creek, north of town, was just brushed (2nd pass) on the 4th. The south half of the trail has a bit of event traffic through it and is whooped/rough (it's rough trail to begin with). Run the north half, much better.

(PS - the whoops are bike-tire width and the ferns are that wide as well, hard to blame ATVs for those conditions).

Two Hearted, north of there, is a fun trail. With your bikes, I'd think it would be a good time. Was graded about 2 years ago and with little traffic, it's still pretty flat and flowing. Pine Ridge, which connects off of it, is still pretty whooped.

Second is were thinking KOA in Newberry to camp at, leave the trailer and truck it to the areas.

Great spot will work well. The North Country Campground ~5 miles north of town is another nice spot especially if you plan to haul to any of the trails. Being in Newberry at the KOA puts you very close to eatin' places and other amenities.

Thanks for the reply's guys, We'll put Birch Lake & Foreman on the list too if we get time to head that far over. Were coming from Wisconsin so Moss Lake, Bass lake & Porterfield Lake is our home turf sort of speak, we day ride those quite a bit. For some strange reason we like Moss quite a bit better than Porterfield, always say it makes the race track seem like a 4 lane hiway after a loop at Moss! The new section at porterfield had a couple guys overheated and blowing antifreeze, maybe it'll gain more flow as it gets worked in but it was tight to the point of no fun, even with a full on offroad bike, cut bars, I would have to wiggle it through some spots, not marked at all we just grabbed a two track and found the road last time we were on it, low on gas and overheating we just needed to air their bikes out, engine ice in my smoker was no problem:smirk:. Were on a bit of a race/work break so were going to check out the East half the UP. Watchin the sandtown video makes a guy think that trail would be better in spring/fall when its not so overgrown.... thats a trick I havent learned, some guys it doesn't bother, but I just end up looking right in front of my tire in first gear.... not too much fun...