Strange idle or clutch problem and questions

I've got an 04 300 EXC that has just recently started to give me some grief when it stalls out on me pretty frequently now. I'm pretty certain that it is jetted very well including the slow/pilot/idle circuits as I've not had this issue before and it runs flawlessly other than this issue.

The problem seems to be that it will not idle in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I did not realize this at first and simply increased the overall idle speed. But... It idles very high (now) in neutral but once the bike is in gear (1st or 2nd typically) it will most likely die (i.e. clutching in slow tight downhill sections, etc).

Has anyone run across something like this before? I'm now thinking it's more a clutch issue. Or tranny? Since it idles fine in neutral (when set properly) but it just will not idle in gear. And the clutch does seem to "grab" a little when I try to start it in gear as well as being more difficult to start in gear sometimes. Would this be cause by a worn out clutch/plates? Or maybe the hydro system? Or old fluid needing changed?

I'm just not sure what would cause something like this. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

First thing I would do is bleed the clutch, easy and quick one. Allows for that to be quickly kicked off the list - shouldnt be dark or have soild material in it...key an eye on it when you are bleeding it.

I've never done that before... is there a write-up or directions anywhere on how to do that exactly?

Thanks!

First thing I would do is bleed the clutch, easy and quick one. Allows for that to be quickly kicked off the list - shouldnt be dark or have soild material in it...key an eye on it when you are bleeding it.

Im going thru the same thing with my 08 300 right now. The clutch is dragging and pulls the motor down when in stopped in gear to the point that it almost wont idle.

I havent pulled the clutch apart to inspect it yet but looking thru the oil fill hole didnt revele a notched clutch basket. Going to try bleading the clutch (again) and see if that helps. I did it at higher elevation (montana) now that In down at sea leval again Im wondering of the elevation change is affecting things. Shouldnt but who knows. Worth a try.

I have a How-to in the FAQ....I agree start with fluid, then if that doesnt do it then take clutch apart to check for grooved basket, warped, worn out or broken plates.

Yup, what Mike said. I had the same problem all of last year, ended up being both the Master and Slave seals went. But thats an extreme and far from the norm.

The key to bleeding the clutch is to back bleed it - meaning it will come out of the Master (on your bars). You will need a large syringe bigger the better, then you will need some tube to run from your syringe to the slave.

Mike's write up goes over all steps in details.

I have a How-to in the FAQ....I agree start with fluid, then if that doesnt do it then take clutch apart to check for grooved basket, warped, worn out or broken plates.

You got a link Mike? I cant seem to find it.

Thank you sir!

Do you have any pics or details of what to look for on the cluth basket and plates? I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking for as far as worn or damaged parts.

Thanks!

Do you have any pics or details of what to look for on the cluth basket and plates? I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking for as far as worn or damaged parts.

Thanks!

This is the biggest thing to look for. Notched up basket or inner hub.

http://picasaweb.google.com/x40ozbaby/ClutchPhotos2?authkey=I_OUp-s5G1I&pli=1#

This one really dosnt look that bad. Ive seen way worse. The plates wear big grooves in the inner and outter hub over time. Only real fix is replace the basket and inner hub. You can file them smooth and it will work for a while but it will happen again.

Also measure your clutch plate thickness with calipers to see if they are out of spec.

Check the steel plates to see if they are warped or excessivly blackened/blued.