Sign in to follow this  

Caution on the trails

So I was hitting the trails over the 4th, woods riding, in northern PA. My word of caution is not with other on-coming riders. But with trees; ie; "spears". I rounded a corner and found myself staring down a 2" diameter tree, cut off to a point and leaned over toward me. Now I don't know if it was done intentionally by some twisted gooch or ran down by a quad/side x side, but it was potentially fatal. I got my body out of the way in time, but it caught me on the throttle hand, up my jacket sleeve, causing a highside get off, broken blood vessels in my hand (swelled like a GD balloon) and bent bars. Glad I was in full gear. Landed on my head/shoulder, debarked a tree with the helmet.

Be safe out there.

Yeah that's some serious B-S... I like to go fast and hope I don't meet up with a booby trap like that, intentionally set or not. Glad you are mostly OK.

It's just one of the risks of trail riding in the woods. I've come across quite a few partially down trees or broken off branches pointing out into the trail in a way that could definitely put some major hurt on a person.

Hey nathan, your going to want to replace your helmet after a hard crash like that. It "crushes" one time and after that it is nothing more than a shell on your head.

I hit one of these the other day, it pierced my rad and ruined my weekend. I drove for 2 hours to ride for half hour... not impressed!! at least it didnt spear my body though!

Hey nathan, your going to want to replace your helmet after a hard crash like that. It "crushes" one time and after that it is nothing more than a shell on your head.

Already been done. But, what does everyone else do with damaged helmets? Cut and throw in the trash? Recycle?

Already been done. But, what does everyone else do with damaged helmets? Cut and throw in the trash? Recycle?

You could hang them on the wall and every time some dumb kid that thinks he doesn't need one comes in you can show him haw many times they've saved you:thumbsup:

the worst is the little sapling cut-offs. it hurts bad enough stepping/tripping/stubbing your foot on them let alone crashing on them. ow.

My last desert race we was winding thru the trees when i looked up a branch was about eye level,i ducked in time but the branch went into my neckbrace and chest protector and stuck out about 3 feet in front of me,i broke off what i could while riding and at the finish line the guy took it out and it looked just like a sharp spear.Lucky i had cat like reactions:ride: