Can this head be repaired?

Head1.jpg

Mmmmm, chewy...

The biggest issue I see is where it got into the exhaust valve seats, and you'll probably lose some compression because of it, but it would still run.

A valve job (re-cut deeper seats) and some shorter shims may work that out.

ETA: You may also have to sleeve the valve guide areas, they look split.

Definitely get the whole thing magnafluxed before you run it again. That thing took a beating.

depends on how perfect you want it to be. The gouged area would need welding to fix properly. I've seen pleanty of split valveguides, you should be fine there but won't know for sure until the junk ones are removed. Is that a crack from the valvepocket to the sparkplug area?? That's a kiss-of-death, not worth paying to fix, unless you can do it ALL yourself.

Between the trashed squish, valveguides, and valveseats, I'm thinking a new head is the way to go. Sorry!

Yes it can. I have seen much worse fixed. Unfortunately the master of this type of work local to me passed due to cancer. That guy could practically build a head with weld rod and a CNC machine. Look up Dave Hopkins on this site, he can fix it.

Are you "MxBundy" from seat concepts? did you not just get this bike?

easily fixable. cheap on the hand not so much. dont know what i new oem head runs but in order to get this one back up and running it would need welded and decked, i personally dont trust running the same seats if i have to repair a head like this seen guys do it and not have a seat drop on them but its a gamble, will need new guides, depending on if it got the guide bores got hurt or not it may need to oversize guides. all which equals on hell of a machine shop bill for you.

Yes it can. I have seen much worse fixed. Unfortunately the master of this type of work local to me passed due to cancer. That guy could practically build a head with weld rod and a CNC machine. Look up Dave Hopkins on this site, he can fix it.

Are you "MxBundy" from seat concepts? did you not just get this bike?

Yeah thats me!? But its not our bike. My brother in law was looking at an 08 TE250 "Mechanics Special" and this was the problem with the bike.

Bike needs an all new top end, cylinder, the works.

Wouldn't be all bad, a Athena 310 kit comes to mind.

But after all this, we are going to pass on the bike.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Bundy