KTM 300 starter

Ok, someone here can answer my question I am sure. So what year did they start putting E-start on the 300's. I am seriously pondering one of them and if I am going to get one I would like all the little bells and whistles like lights too. I am going to try and get it street legal so I can go from trails to trails that are separated by roadways. I don't think it will be to hard in KY to get it plated and want to know what year to start looking at because of money issues it won't be a new one. Thanks for your help guys.

The 2008 XCW's have e-start.

I believe the 2007 XCW's may have also.

2009-2012 XC and XCW's have e-start.

Sound correct fellers?

-Jay

Oh was that a starter? Mine mostly made alot of noise.

So I need to start looking at least 07 and newer? Wow!! I would have thought they were putting them on sooner than that. That may be too rich for my blood. All the 300's that new are going for 3500 and up. I may have to get rid of my current bike fist. :ride: I don't know if I want to do that. :thumbsup: I hope someone else chimes in and says like 04 had them...... come on people say it.

Oh was that a starter? Mine mostly made alot of noise.

so your saying they don't work very well??? I see alot of riding vids of 300's that seem to start pretty well.

One thing I am also curious of is how is the starter working on them? I mean what does the Bendix turn to get the motor spinning?

The e-start's on the ktm 2-strokes are junk. Mine worked for about a year then died (08 XC-w). Tried to fix it but its dead. Now it just takes up space. They start so easy with the kickstarter I really dont need the e-start.

Im going to get an 08 XC side cover and get rid of the e-start motor and be done with it. Probably get one of these new lightweight batteries though so I can power a GPS off of it. I dont need a 7amp battery for that though so I can downsize and save some weight.

Mine died after about 15 months. I think I'm just going to remove it and the battery.

On the bikes where they died, did any of you do any maintenance on them or MOD's (wet, ground)?

On the bikes where they died, did any of you do any maintenance on them or MOD's (wet, ground)?

Yeah, I was just reading about this Mod where you add some fork oil or tranny oil to the inside of the starter hole and you have to block off the bottom drain/vent hole on the flywheel cover and add a Vent lien to the top at the wire harness gromet.

I also read that the starters are anywhere from 400 to 700. :thumbsup:

yea I tore mine apart every few rides, cleaned and greased it all up. Mine was the brushes. They burned out. replaced them and it never worked right after that. F-it. Ill just kick it. Aint worth the hassle.

My old 250x never ever had a starter issue. Why is it KTM cant figure it out.

.....IT SUX!!!! i also made the move from yz to ktm....bought the 300 xcw-e coz i do quite a bit of trail riding, so the e-start had me sold. I SHOULD'VE DONE MY HOMEWORK!

mine also doesn't want to work. save your bux and your time....dont bother.

The 300 is an amazing bike though. The crappy e-start is just one small hickup though and wouldnt stop me for a second in buying another 300.

The 300 is an amazing bike though. The crappy e-start is just one small hickup though and wouldnt stop me for a second in buying another 300.

Yeah, but like MadMatt said, I was looking at the 300 for a few reasons, one was it's a 2stroke, two was the power and low end torch of a trail bike and lastly the e-start. Well, mostly the e-start. I hate getting stuck on the side of hill and having to try to kick start my bike. It can be a PIA. I have a RM250 and while I know it is a race bike, it still makes a pretty good trail bike as well. I was thinking about the future and how I am not getting any younger. So thought the E-start is the way to go. Seems maybe not. If I can't get a decent e-start 2st I might as well stay with what I have. I have no complaints with the RM just wish it had estart sometimes :thumbsup:

Put an autoclutch into the RM. You wont need e-start then. See I just saved you thousands of dollars :thumbsup:

Put an autoclutch into the RM. You wont need e-start then. See I just saved you thousands of dollars :thumbsup:

:ride: yeah, I don't know if I would like that auto clutch stuff. Maybe one day but for now I will stick with standard. :ride: thanks guys.

Yeah, but like Mad Matt said, I was looking at the 300 for a few reasons, one was it's a 2stroke, two was the power and low end torch of a trail bike and lastly the e-start. Well, mostly the e-start. I hate getting stuck on the side of hill and having to try to kick start my bike. It can be a PIA. I have a RM and while I know it is a race bike, it still makes a pretty good trail bike as well. I was thinking about the future and how I am not getting any younger. So thought the E-start is the way to go. Seems maybe not. If I can't get a decent e-start 2st I might as well stay with what I have. I have no complaints with the RM just wish it had estart sometimes :D
:D yeah, I don't know if I would like that auto clutch stuff. Maybe one day but for now I will stick with standard. :thumbsup: thanks guys.

The e-start on my '08 300 works perfectly. I have been careful with maintenance and only just this year replaced the aging 4mAh battery with a spanking new 7mAh unit. (weight weenie concerns are overblown...the difference in weight cannot be felt by the average rider)

I love having the button...when you're lined up for a Harescramble race, a well-maintained starter helps make you a hole-shot king. Thumb the button...she lights instantly...and hole-shot glory is yours!:banana:

Or...you're out trail riding with your buddies and stall her on a tricky hill-climb section. No worries...tab the happy button and relight the flame.

Now...combine that happy button with a auto-clutch...as I have done...and it's almost like cheating. All the fun of blasting through the woods on a dirty bike without the pesky clutching, stalling, kicking in awkward positions, etc. that can dampen and otherwise hella fun day!:ride::ride:

I ditched me e-start for racing but it was working without issue. A nice feature, but I have since installed a Rekluse. You can't stall it - what a difference it made. Auto clutch is out of this world. $900 though

I ditched me e-start for racing but it was working without issue. A nice feature, but I have since installed a Rekluse. You can't stall it - what a difference it made. Auto clutch is out of this world. $900 though

+1 worth every penny. The best mod I've done to my bike.