Sign in to follow this  

Just Purchased a new bike, What now?

:thumbsup:

Well its been a long time since last posting here. :ride: When i last posted i had a good old smoker :ride: (pics in a topic i made)

I've now bought a brand new CRF450 2010 for a very nice price.

Couple questions.

1. I'm running it it, I'm not doing it how Honda say but how most topics on these forums say. Is this right? Ride it like i stole it, but not letting it bounce on the limiter.

2 Manual says 15hours to replace piston??????? i got more than that out of my 2-stroke 250. Is the just the cautious approach and will i get more out of it? I'm not a pro or anything and don't thrash it around.

3. I have more but ill post when i think of them.

Thanks

~3832always

P.S.

imag0042x.jpg

I can probably speak for 98% of the people on here and say nobody has the money or time to replace the piston, gaskets, and rings every 8-15 hrs.

I think most people get a season out of a top end. The more frequent you do it the longer your cylinder will last though..

Change the oil and the air filter like you change your underwear. Cheap insurance... Good thing to have 2-3 air filters handy so you can just swap for a already dry one.

The more you hit the limiter the more your valve train will hate you I believe. Others might not but you bought it for a reason lol I ride the heck out of mine and very rarely hit limiter..

Idk what's special to the Fi 09+ models as I have an 05 but motor wise / maintenance they should be very similar

I can probably speak for 98% of the people on here and say nobody has the money or time to replace the piston, gaskets, and rings every 8-15 hrs.

I think most people get a season out of a top end. The more frequent you do it the longer your cylinder will last though..

Change the oil and the air filter like you change your underwear. Cheap insurance... Good thing to have 2-3 air filters handy so you can just swap for a already dry one.

The more you hit the limiter the more your valve train will hate you I believe. Others might not but you bought it for a reason lol I ride the heck out of mine and very rarely hit limiter..

Idk what's special to the Fi 09+ models as I have an 05 but motor wise / maintenance they should be very similar

Thanks for the reply, regular maintenance like oil and filters is something im good at. But when i read the piston change frequency in the book i did drop one :thumbsup:

Buying a new 4-stroke was a hard decision with all them horror stories that's why i bought new but i think it was definitely a good decision.

Keep en eye on valve clearances. As soon as they start to move. send head off and have kibble white valves put in there and have a place cut valve seats like MXTIME.com.

I've not had a single problem out of my bike. Knock on wood. Replaced valves and piston etc this winter and she is still running great with about 5 hair scrambles and 10 practice days under her.

Some people differ on oil filter changing and the oil. I change the oil 2x's as much as the filter. Normally the oil gets changed every other "play ride" and/or every race.

Get an hour meter it will help with keeping the oil change intervals and other maintenance.

The manual also states 15 hour interval for oil change. I don't know anyone that replaces a top end the same amount as their oil. The bikes hold up if you don't hold it to the rev limiter all the time.