Bike shuts off when I remove choke. Help please?

Hey guys. I have a TT-R230 and whenever I remove the choke the bike dies :thumbsup:. Im no mechanic but Im guessing the problems somewhere around the carb. Just wondering if anyone knows why this happens. Dirty jets? Choke not working? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

How long has the bike sat? I would try a new pilot jet. Sounds like it may be clogged.

Sounds like it may be clogged.

Yep...

Its was sitting in a shed for the winter time, with the fuel in it. I know that was stupid, but not my fault. I already changed the gas also. Would I have to buy a new pilot jet? Or just clean it?

Its was sitting in a shed for the winter time, with the fuel in it. I know that was stupid, but not my fault. I already changed the gas also. Would I have to buy a new pilot jet? Or just clean it?

Don't bother cleaning it, just buy a new one.

Don't bother cleaning it, just buy a new one.
he's messing with you. I think he means the whole bike, anyway...

if you have enough mechanical knowledge to find the jet, you should have enough to clean the carb... if not, you might want to get someone to help you out a bit and check the bike over for other maintenance items it probably needs.

if you have enough mechanical knowledge to find the jet, you should have enough to clean the carb... if not, you might want to get someone to help you out a bit and check the bike over for other maintenance items it probably needs.

I know where the jet is. But will spraying carb cleaner through it be enough?

Buy a new pilot jet. Do not waste the time trying to clean the old pilot.

I know where the jet is. But will spraying carb cleaner through it be enough?

If you do not have the proper jet cleaning tool (its like a welding tip cleaner , but precise sizes made specifically for carbs) you will ruin the jet trying to stick something in it to clean it (no spraying carb cleaner is not enough to clean it) , just get a new jet they are about $6-$8 , take your old one to match it (jet size and shape)

Pilot jet is the small one that is recessed , next to the main jet (the main is the hexed one in the middle) one with the screwdriver slot

Podfish, your post had me rolling. :ride: I meant in reference to his pilot jet, not his whole bike. :thumbsup:

Also, be careful if you use carb cleaner. It can possibily ruin rubber orings and such. I've heard that using brake cleaner is easier on the rubber parts and gaskets.

Why would you buy a new pilot jet??? Spray carb cleaner through it, use a couple bristles off your girlfriends toothbrush to clean the hole, and shoot a blast of air through it. You'll be fine, takes 10 minutes and costs nothing. You won't be close to O-rings, just back the jet out, clean it, then reinstall.

Guys saying "Buy a new jet" crack me up :thumbsup:

While you are at it clean the main jet too.

your just going to have to get in there and take the carb off to put the new one in, save a few bucks take it out blast some high pressure carbcleaner through it and blow it out with an air hose, check the midrange jet and accelerator pump too make sure they aren't clogged and are working, also try your idle speed i had the same thing with my 250 all it needed was an idle adjusment. brake cleaner doesnt work as well, if you take the parts out and let them soak in a hardcore carb cleaner for an hour then dry them off they'll be good as new dont put the bowl itself in there but just all the jets and what not.

I bought a new pilot jet and pilot screw. I put everything back together and then my bike just idles pretty high, but still the same problem, whenever I remove the choke it dies again. How tight should the pilot screw be?

Update: I got the bike to run without the choke by tightening the idle screw but whenever I turn on the choke the bikes rpm's jump up to where I know for sure it shouldnt be at. Any suggestions? Thanks

Well, one thing is it takes FOREVER for these damn things to warm up. Like about 5 minutes. Also, make sure your battery isnt low.

mine does that too. it just means your bike can idle and if it can just adjust the idle speed its really. really an aggravating prosess

It is not that hatd to clean the pilot jet out. Just remove it and use a strand of wire to clear out the restriction. If you live close to a parts store amd they stock the jet you want then it is easier to replace it. If not you can have it cleaned in anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours.

Buy a new pilot jet. Do not waste the time trying to clean the old pilot.
I've heard that using brake cleaner is easier on the rubber parts and gaskets.

If you compare a spray can of carb cleaner to a spray can of brake cleaner, they have essentially the same ingredients. At least the ones I've bought recently. One of the ingredients is acetone, which is not a friend of some types of plastic and rubber. The two cleaners used to be different, but the chlorinated cleaners used for brakes are not available in the auto parts stores where I shop. There's been a move away from chlorinated solvents.