Sign in to follow this  

Where to purchase lowering spacers????

Does anyone know where I can purchase the necessary spacers and what not for my forks and shock to lower my bike about an inch to 1.5 inches? It s a 99 kx 250. Thanks!

Ok, so far what im seeing is that you need to install these limiters or spacers in the rear shock to lower it.

But what about the forks?? is it as simple as cutting the springs? Or is there more to do there? Im talking about KYB's on a stock 1999 KX 250.

you will need shorter fork springs at the same time as installing the spacers.

You can buy them thru Race Tech also or you can make the shock spacer your self. I used nylon cutting board material. For the forks, my local Ace Hardware has the plastic bushing that do the job. The fork spring is a major problem. Race Tech used to have a page on their site that had all the spring specs so you could find one that might work. Unfortunately they removed it. Maybe they can sed you a copy of the info.

You can buy them thru Race Tech also or you can make the shock spacer your self. I used nylon cutting board material. For the forks, my local Ace Hardware has the plastic bushing that do the job. The fork spring is a major problem. Race Tech used to have a page on their site that had all the spring specs so you could find one that might work. Unfortunately they removed it. Maybe they can sed you a copy of the info.

Ok, so just to clarify I do need a spacer as well as a shorter spring for the front fork? Where would the spacer for the fork be installed?

I made a shock spacer for mt 05 KX250, details are here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969656&highlight=

I was able to use the triple clamps enough to lower the front and get angle back in the forks. If you don't lower the front equal (or close) to the rear your bike will not turn good at-all.

Right now my fork caps are 2mm under my bars, I'd like to install spacers in my forks if anyone has a pic of what they look like. :thumbsup:

I'm 5'9", since lowering my 05 I've felt a TON more comfortable on the bike, no more reaching or feeling top heavy. I haven't even had a good spill since doing it.

• Like 1

What the spacer looks like or what it looks like installed? The spacer would be similar to a shock spacer just different dimensions. You could use something like pvc or nylon if you found them in the right sizes locally, or buy a set from a company. Since you have a TC fork all you need to do is install the spacer on the damper rod like shown above and cut a spring seat grove for how much you want it lowered.

I'm confused with the taper (red arrow) and assuming the spacer rests against the shoulder (green arrow). Would the spacer need a tapered inner bore to acccomodate that taper?

001-2.jpg

Actually, it'll rest against the bottom out spring that isn't shown in that picture.

Actually, it'll rest against the bottom out spring that isn't shown in that picture.

Correct. That picture is the cartridge rod out of a twin-chamber fork. They have the spring attached to the end cap of the cartridge tube. Most open chamber forks, like yours, have a top-out spring that is a press fit onto the end of the rod and then the stem is threaded in to keep the spring in place.

I think the MX-Tech spacers have an o-ring groove machined in the ID so the spacer doesn't float on the rod.