HOLE in GAS TANK!!

Anyone out there know how to fix a gas tank with a small hole in the upper part of the tank....

It is on a 1999 KTM exc (2 stroke)

Please dont say get a new one.....and or dont fill it up all the way I m looking for a plastic weld solution (long term) that can withstand abuse from gas as well as normal riding..

Thanks in ADV!

Crab

I have tried a lot of stuff that said it was gas proof but nothing ever holds up long. I spent a lot of time searching Tractor Supply the last time I needed something and bought a product that was meant for contact with gasoline, lasted about a week. I would recommend ebay for a used tank, there are so many stock used tanks on there you can get them for almost nothing.

Plastic weld it. look up on internet for how to do (youtube) and you can buy a plastic welder at Harbor Freight. I believe you will need a compressor for most of the plastic welders. Most if not all epoxies will not bond permanently to plastics

what is your definition of a small hole?

I can give you a tank if you want it, pay shipping from NJ or pick it up.

jjm525

I would be very pleased to pay shipping for a tank! Im in NH!

Maybe you can emailme at crabzebula at gmail dot com

Either way I looked around for options welding and it is tough,

the hole is about the size of a small flat head screw driver. on the tank where the tank itself rests on the frame near where the bolt locks the tank down to the frame.

well. thanks very much guys!

-crabnebla

There ya go! That is what I like about fellow riders! :ride:

it's plastic, put it in the recycle bin and get another one. :thumbsup:

For anyone else who is interested in repairing a hole in their tank I have recently had some success with Sikaflex! I'd tried about 3 different epoxies and even platics welding but because the crack was right on the bolt hole that the tap screws into I couldn't get anything to seal it all up right. I eventually filed out the crack so it was a large hole with square edges and the cleaned it right up with a contact cleaner. I then filled it with sikaflex ensuring I pushed plenty inside too. It's been fixed for two months now and even been sitting in the shed with fuel in the tank in between rides and still no leak!!

jjm525

I would be very pleased to pay shipping for a tank! Im in NH!

Maybe you can emailme at crabzebula at gmail dot com

Either way I looked around for options welding and it is tough,

the hole is about the size of a small flat head screw driver. on the tank where the tank itself rests on the frame near where the bolt locks the tank down to the frame.

well. thanks very much guys!

-crabnebla

ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS put duct tape on any bare metal to plastic connection point on your gas tank. you dont see the tape, and it will not wear the plastic and frame, just the duct tape. replace when needed ( about every top-end job) you see this issue on older bikes.

Hi

So I have a new to me tank coming tomorrow fri 14 of juilliet,

I'm very grateful fir this, and also for the duct tape idea over frame

Turns out I found the best known reason for the hole is a zip tie had rotated and the connection point On the zip tie a "square" block like snap, blasted through the tank. Lesson learned when cleaning bike or repairing, zip ties should be checked as I knew very well that the ziP tie could so some damage to whatever is hit, in this case the tank.

I'm going to duct tape over the ties to make it a little more reliable and then be glad that people out there are able to share and give back to others!

Thanks very much jjm525 for the generous gesture/gift

I'm glad to know people out there like those on this forum!

Thanks again everyone!

Crabnebula

Dude, that's pretty cool of you. I'd buy you a beer if you weren't 3000 miles away!