XR200R 81- 87 improvements?

I have an 81 XR200R and just aquired a 87 XR200R parts bike with a lot of usable parts. I'd like to move over anything that was an improvement over the 81. I'm sure many of the parts are interchangeable but I'm not sure anything is better on the 81. The rear monoshock has a dampner knob, better rear sprocket attachment design, larger tank, more comfortable seat and the stator puts out twice as much power than the 81 so I may start with these things. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott

Although most engine parts interchange there are enough changes thru the years to create problems. Myself and others have had a few surprised when attempting part mixing between year, best to check the part fiche before assuming a part swap will work.

1986 was a big change for the 200R:

New full cradle chassis for R based on 84-85 XR200R/250R chassis; 84-85 chassis parts fit the new chassis, but no backward compatibility to the early Rs. IMO the 86-02 frame is much better than the 81-83 R, and the 86-91 suspension is the best. The new electrical system changed to 12volt, new style connectors, CDI box and coil changed, alternator changed (rotor & stator), upgraded kick starter lever & shaft, new shift spindle & lever. Center case part numbers changed, left case cover changed for new stator. Counter shaft longer by about ¼”, moves sprocket outboard. Carb changed to PD97.

1987: upgraded kick starter gears from 30/28/19 teeth to 21/19/14 teeth.

The complete 87 electrical system can be swapped; including the stator/left side cover, rotor, harness, etc (I did a similar swap to my 81). The 86-02 rotor is heavier and will smooth out the idle.

You sir are an XR guru. Thanks for the information!

If your 81 is in good condition restore it as is. It is much more valuable as a Post Vintage bike than a buchered crosss breed. I would put on a Works performance rear shock and fine tune your front forks. The engine runs good stock but you can stroke it and put in a torque cam for more performance.

IMO

Dwight

If your 81 is in good condition restore it as is. It is much more valuable as a Post Vintage bike than a butchered cross breed. I would put on a Works performance rear shock and fine tune your front forks. The engine runs good stock but you can stroke it and put in a torque cam for more performance.

IMO

Dwight

Good advice, I sold this 82 for a good price in one day!!!:thumbsup: All original except for the seat cover and muffler tip.

DSCF0846.jpg

Good advice, I sold this 82 for a good price in one day!!!:thumbsup: All original except for the seat cover and muffler tip.

DSCF0846.jpg

Just curious what did you end up selling the bike for?