Short guy on YZ250F

Hey all, I've been riding my YZ250F for about a month now. I'm very happy with the bike except that I teeter when stopped. I'm 5'7" and have the sag set at 3 1/2". Sitting normaly on the bike I can barely touch with the toes of 1 foot. It's not an issue while riding, but when I come to a stop it can be a pain, and has caused me to drop the bike a time or 2.

I've been looking for options for lowering the seat height. I've seen cut seats, and some references to lowering links for the suspension. I've thought of lowering links, but haven't been able to find any (if they do exist). Also, do they have any adverse effect on the suspension and handling besides needing to lower the front also?

I've seen posts where people have cut their seats down, but I don't really want to take the chance of ruining my seat. Is there somewhere that sells cut seats?

Your race sag should be closer to 4". I believe SDG makes a "low" seat for the YZF. You should not have an issue at 5'7". My daughter rides a stock height YZ250F and she is 5'3".

wow i ride a stock yz250f and i am 5'5 15 lbs. whats the go there? :thumbsup:

wow i ride a stock yz250f and i am 5'5 15 lbs. whats the go there? :thumbsup:

WOW you must be a stick at 15lbs

125 lbs i meant :thumbsup:

What kind of riding do you do? I have heard that a lowering link does effect the handling characteristics of the bike if you are a fast racer but not so much if you are a trail rider.

I'm kind of an odd 5'7". My legs are a bit shorter than normal. Also, riding isn't the problem, it's when I'm stopped. Since we do mostly trail type riding we stop quite often for water and to discuss a particular area, etc. Since we're out in the desert there aren't any trees to lean the bike on, so we end up sitting on them while we rest or talk.

Set your sag to 100mm and you'll get that extra half inch and the bike will handle significantly better.

Set your sag to 100mm and you'll get that extra half inch and the bike will handle significantly better.

+1 on this advice ...or even 105mm.

My inseam is 29" and i can sit in the saddle and touch. A 2" rock to plant my foot on works really well.

Thanks. I'll try setting my sag and see how much difference it makes.

My inseam is 29" and i can sit in the saddle and touch. A 2" rock to plant my foot on works really well.

My inseam is the same. I'm always looking for a rock, or raised area to stop by for my foot to sit on.

I'm 5'8" and I share your pain. The answer is to have the forks and shock revalved. At the same time the tuner can install travel limiters to reduce the travel. Jeff Slavens of Slaven's Racing suggested 10.5" to 11.0" for me as an old (almost 59 years) 'B' level rider riding Eastern type terrain (think rocks and trees!). You can do this yourself if you're handy. I'm still considering it but just can't make myself give up the inch of travel.

When I first got mine I was in a hurry to lower it. Decided to live with it (mainly due to the hassle of getting parts shipped to my remote location). Glad I did as you get use to it. I still have the occasional off because of it...but usually on uneven terrain with both wheels on a high spot and a big convenient hole where me feet are to fall into lol.

30ish (if not slightly smaller) inch inseam, BARELY can get toes down.

Good luck buddy

5'8" here. I got a yamalink lowering link and dropped it about an inch.

I got used to the bike being tall and barely notice it nowadays. This was the same for me when I bought my yz80. I had to wait until I was 13 or 14 to get one because I was so short at the time. Being short sucks :smirk:

I'm 5'7 - 59 years old and just fall over a lot!

I am barely 5'5" and tossed the shaved seat and quit running extra sag. Just get used to it. I know its easier said than done but you dont want to mess with the stock travel or seat height if you want to huck jumps. If you think the 250f is high hop on my 02 125. that bike has a rediculous seat height it rivals some of the KTMs.:smirk:

I am 5'5 160 & 45 years young .

When I come to a stop I put what ever foot down all the way and hang my arse and other leg over the seat. My friends make fun of me all the time..

I race off road and mx it does not bother me when racing mx. but man I try to keep my momentum up ( feet on the pegs ) when doing off road, which can be a challenge at times on tricky sections that are bottle necked.

I set 4" of sag, and that helped a bit. It doesn't bother me as much now. Between having it a bit lower, and always finding a rock or small hump to use, I'll be ok.